#21 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

At least the traffic will pick up soon....of course it will be mostly those that take the update and lose root without thinking/reading

#22 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,458 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

House of Moto is open for business.  LMAO

• cmh714 likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#23 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:46 AM

Not really.  If you are not unlocked, think LONG AND HARD about this update before you take it if you care about root.  Otherwise I'm going to feel as sympathetic as I do for the idiots that took the VZW S4 update and minutes later asked when root was going to be available.  There will be no root exploit for this update so tread lightly.

I just got the soak test invite as well last night. My bootloader is unlocked and I understand it's a "physical" change (the exploit "blew" an efuse), but is it possible for them to lock the bootloader up again?

Also, would I be able to revert back to JB via HoM if I feel I don't like KK on my phone? I have KK on my Nexus 7 (2012) and it's okay, but it seems sluggish.

I'm currently running on stock, rooted. I didn't freeze anything, but I did install init.d which does "replace" the /sbin/adbd file (during booting) which allows for doing "adb remount". I can edit the script that runs this to not replace it upon reboot thereby keeping the original adbd. It also added the /etc/init.d directory along with the install-recovery.sh file in /etc. I'm not sure if that will affect the checksum on the filesystem I know the updates check for?

Other than that, I've only done the normal update via Google Play Store, so I'm thinking I should be good, correct?

Otherwise, I did do a nandroid backup of unrooted stock via TWRP so I could always revert back to that.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#24 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,458 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:31 AM

You must be 100% stock on all partitions in order for the update to install. The changes you've made might cause it to fail. And it won't install at all if you're using twrp. If you're part of the soak, using the HoM to return to stock will likely screw up your chances of getting the soak pushed to you. As for the bootloader, they won't relock it. As for downgrading, it's possible on an unlocked phone using my HoM universal script.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

#25 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:34 AM

You must be 100% stock on all partitions in order for the update to install. The changes you've made might cause it to fail. And it won't install at all if you're using twrp. If you're part of the soak, using the HoM to return to stock will likely screw up your chances of getting the soak pushed to you. As for the bootloader, they won't relock it. As for downgrading, it's possible on an unlocked phone using my HoM universal script.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

You stated if I return to stock via HoM, you're saying I still won't be able to accept the soak update? How do I get back to stock to ensure I can accept the soak?

Thanks!

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#26 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,458 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:46 AM

You stated if I return to stock via HoM, you're saying I still won't be able to accept the soak update? How do I get back to stock to ensure I can accept the soak?

Thanks!

No, that's not what I said. I said if you FXZ your phone, the soak will no longer get pushed to it because you'll have changed it.  The soak pushes to very specific phones.  FXZ'ing changes the properties of the phones so it's not recognized by the soak server. FXZ'ing with the HoM will allow the update to install once it goes OTA, however.

• ibolski likes this

#27 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:52 AM

No, that's not what I said. I said if you FXZ your phone, the soak will no longer get pushed to it because you'll have changed it. The soak pushes to very specific phones. FXZ'ing changes the properties of the phones so it's not recognized by the soak server. FXZ'ing with the HoM will allow the update to install once it goes OTA, however.

So basically, since I've already fxz'd a bunch of times, I'm hosed at this point for the soak test? They asked for the IMEI of the phone. I guess that still doesn't matter then?

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2cqd4t2.png

#28 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,458 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:59 AM

Not necessarily.  It's a risk.  The IEMI doesn't change, but, it uses more than just that to identify your phone and push the soak.  It *MAY* work after an FXZ.  Once you get the email about the soak saying you're part of it, you should not FXZ if you want it to push.  In your case I know what I'd do, but, it's a lot of work.  I'd let the soak download, grab it from the cache directory, then FXZ and install it from your sdcard.  But that's just me.

• ibolski and cmh714 like this

#29 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:14 AM

As long as you don't FXZ or FDR'd after the point in which you've officially entered the soak you should be ok. When you go thru the survey monkey there is a point in which you respond whether you've modified your device (this does NOT disqualify you) they will tell you to return to stock prior to completing the survey.

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#30 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,458 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:24 AM

Yea, that exactly.  After that point, if you FXZ, it'll screw up the push.

#31 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:47 AM

Meh, I'm hosed already then. After I completed the survey and entered my IEMI code, I was still running under my rooted stock.

I must not have read it well because I was under the assumption I could change back to stock after completing the survey. I haven't received an email that I'm officialy in the soak, just that I could take a survey and request ot be part of it.

Oh well.

2cqd4t2.png

#32 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,458 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:54 AM

Wait and see what happens. At this point I'd leave it as is and see if it gets pushed to you.  If it does, copy it off from the cache directory before trying to install it.  If it fails, FXZ back to stock, then install it manually.

• ibolski likes this

#33 sgpapesh

sgpapesh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Any way to keep root(before upgrade) when this becomes available to everyone?

#34 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Any way to keep root(before upgrade) when this becomes available to everyone?

If you are bootloader locked, it is always best to assume that they new version will not be rootable.  That said, you may be able to use voodoo root keeper to maintain root, or it may not botch the root at all, BUT your ability to regain root may be lost forever, so if you ever had to reflash your system, you would be out of luck.

If your bootloader is unlocked, you have nothing really to worry about.  You will be able to regain root in custom recovery.

Never, never, never take an OTA immediately.  Wait for all those impatient folks to do it and see what the outcomes are.  It usually only takes a day or two to fully visualize what the cons are and evaluate whether you want to take it.

• ajent and RikRong like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#35 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,458 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:10 AM

Voodoo has not been working on kitkat updates.  SuperSU did not work for the S4 kitkat update, either.  DO NOT rely on that until someone that's unlocked has time to try it and see if it works and reports back for you.  

#36 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Soak is rolling in now.

Sent from my S-Offed One M8

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#37 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

Confirmed

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

#38 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:41 PM

Need to know (I have it already - they sent it to my phone but I've held off) if unlocked bootloaders are still unlocked after applying it? I don't want to apply it until I know for sure.

2cqd4t2.png

#39 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:48 PM

Need to know (I have it already - they sent it to my phone but I've held off) if unlocked bootloaders are still unlocked after applying it? I don't want to apply it until I know for sure.

Unlocked is unlocked......:)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#40 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Now just pull it out of the cache folder and post that bad boy for the pros lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

• johnthehillbilly likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users