#21 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Always a good thing :D

But, then again, it just worked for the numerous times I used it in the past as HoB, especially when we were banging our collective heads against the wall with crobs88 and his claim that you could revert to ICS from JB....

Yea, I've tried to simplify it and make it TRULY universal.  It is now.  With the java app that parses the XML script from the FXZ, you can use it with any phone that can be flashed with fastboot and/or RSD that has an FXZ.  No changes needed.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#22 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

I don't mean any disrespect here at all, but, seriously, who in their right mind would buy a stolen unlock code from "a guy in china"?  LMAO!  No one thought Moto would catch on?  ROFLMAO!  Yeaaaaaa.

• johnlgalt and kitcostantino like this

#23 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Yea, I've tried to simplify it and make it TRULY universal.  It is now.  With the java app that parses the XML script from the FXZ, you can use it with any phone that can be flashed with fastboot and/or RSD that has an FXZ.  No changes needed.

Indeed.  I saw where it will even work on my old DROID lol

#24 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Indeed.  I saw where it will even work on my old DROID lol

LOL.  

#25 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Still have that wonderful little device.  If my BIONIC ever breaks permanently and I cannot afford another phone, at leat I'll have that.  I can make calls, and I'll ixnay all the other apps I normally have installed so that hte batteries will last me, oh, say, at least 3 hours on 3G :p

#26 ReservedName

ReservedName

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:57 AM

I agree about the unremovable battery John but the moto x is pretty dang nice. It's got a really nice active display function that changes how you look at your phone. I don't turn on my phone most of the time I just nudge it to see if a notification icon shows up on the screen and then I let it fade back off.

Btw Samuri my code worked, I guess I got in under the line but the last I heard the Chinese guy was just telling people to wait a few days. Do you or kaos know something I don't?

#27 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

So it would seem, yes.  The code you got was created using a stolen database.  Motorola is not only well aware of it, they know who sold it and are going after them legally.  They also know all the codes that were used.  I'd suspect those devices to stop working at some point soon.

• livinginkaos and kitcostantino like this

#28 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

As for the active display, there are a couple of apps out for that on most android devices now. I have ACdisplay on all of my other devices. It actually has more functionality than the one on my X

Sent From My DEV X

• johnlgalt likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#29 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:00 AM

I haven't even heard of active Dispplay - time to look at it it, to say the least....

#30 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Just installed AC display on my DNA. Cool stuff. Thanks for the head's up man..

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#31 unbesorgt

unbesorgt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationQwghlm
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

I still have my Bionic in use as a media player, rocking CM 11 nightlies just for fun.  It actually runs pretty well on KitKat.  Trebuchet launcher has come a long way, it even supports custom icon packs now, lol.

Running a Droid Maxx as my primary phone nowadays.  I tried out AcDisplay and it does have some nice features (it handles multiple notifications better, for instance), but the dealbreaker for me is that it doesn't "breathe" like Moto's Active Display does.  So if it's sitting on your desk and you have a notification pending, you won't know it unless you press the power button.  In other words the "breathe" feature replaces the LED light.  Seems like it could be implemented without too much trouble, but then again AcDisplay is in beta so maybe it will be added later.

• johnlgalt likes this

#32 ReservedName

ReservedName

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:17 AM

The breath feature is great and the Moto X cpu actually dedicates a core to the always listening google now feature so you can watch your phone breathe with active display and then yell at it if you want it to do something. More and more like robots everyday :D

#33 ReservedName

ReservedName

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

So it would seem, yes.  The code you got was created using a stolen database.  Motorola is not only well aware of it, they know who sold it and are going after them legally.  They also know all the codes that were used.  I'd suspect those devices to stop working at some point soon.

I'm skeptical of them "going after" people that already bought the phone and unlocked with a stolen code. But I'm curious where you heard all this?

#34 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

I'm skeptical of them "going after" people that already bought the phone and unlocked with a stolen code. But I'm curious where you heard all this?

You're skeptical? Well it's a good thing you didn't have to provide any information that could identify your phone. You know like an iemi number. They don't have to "go after" anyone that bought a stolen code. They just have to invalidate the iemi's that used them. Problem solved. What can you do about it? Claim ignorance? Gee I didn't realize paying some guy in China to unlock my phone wasn't legit. Oh OK then, we'll just take your iemi off the blacklist. Lmao. They're (vzw) still reviewing the situation but no one should be overly surprised if those that unlocked are blacklisted. Even if they decide not to, I'd say you can kiss any warranty you may have had goodbye at the very least. As for where I heard all this... I'm not revealing that. It won't matter depending on what vzw ultimately ends up doing. Moto is taking legal action against the former employee that stole and sold the list. That is certain. What isn't decided yet is if the phones that used stolen codes, and let's be clear here... Stolen moto property was used, will be allowed to stay active or not. I suspect we'll find out soon.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt and transmissiontech like this

#35 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

Just so everyone is clear on the current state of the unlock situation itself. The guy who was selling the codes had been telling everyone that it'd be delayed by 3 to 5 days. That was almost a week ago. No one's heard from him since. Hopefully people can get their money back but that remains to be seen. I forgot AT&T was part of this as well. I have no idea what, if anything, they'll do about it. Most likely nothing. It's vzw that you should worry about. They get very "unhappy" when non sanctioned unlocks happen. They've not cut off phones for doing so before, but, it's never been done using stole property before, either. That changes the game quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• johnlgalt likes this

#36 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:57 AM

I still have my Bionic. It's doing the same thing as my S4..collecting dust. Love my warranty intact moto Dev X.

That being said... A part of me really hopes VZW/ Moto do decide to blacklist those imei's...illegal is illegal. This wasn't a exploit like Loki on the S4 this was full on illegal.

Sent via Blacked out TapaTalk on my Eclipsed Dev X

• johnlgalt and jl90 like this

#37 ReservedName

ReservedName

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:15 AM

whoa, you hope I get blacklisted? wth? It's already an unprecedented response and it's not like they have the evidence of which codes were used, if he had a whole database it would be reckless to blacklist all those numbers. Also they guy didn't just disappear, he's been issuing refunds with the message "services close". I mean ok the guy didn't hack the bootloader but it's the same goal regardless of the means. There is a clear difference between devs and this guy but the end users are pretty much all the same. They just want their bootloaders unlocked and don't care either way. I still haven't seen any news about this at all so I remain skeptical. Shadow source or no, I'll believe it when I see it.

#38 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

Don't be naive. They know exactly what devices are unlocked on network. They also know what devices are registered unlocked devices by the imei. Whether moto decides to take individual action against the devices remains to be seen, but if they don't, those of us who purchased developer devices at retail will not be happy. It's not like this was an exploit. This was stolen property. If I purchase a stolen car and it's discovered, I wouldn't get to keep it. They would take it from me and I would have to try to get my money back from the thief. Good luck there.

Moto has spent some good effort to build a good developer program. I don't think they are going to let this throw that all away by not doing something IMO.

Sent From My DEV X

• johnlgalt and transmissiontech like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#39 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

I can't say I subscribe to the "hope they get blacklisted" school of thought.  I understand those who do, though. I just think it's very possible.  When the RAZR HD/M bootloader unlock exploit came to light last year, VZW jumped all over Moto to quickly patch it.  This situation is vastly different than an exploit being found.  Literally a moto employee leaked the database that contains the unlock codes per iemi.  Only developer edition devices are authorized to actually be unlocked.  Devices bought through the carrier in general MAY be subsidized.  (I realize some people buy full retail and that's a slightly different case...).  Subsidized devices that are still in contract that are unlocked using this stolen code method....that's a situation I'd not want to find myself in, personally.  Let's say they did blacklist the IEMI's that were unlocked using this stolen database....what recourse do you honestly think you have?  It's different when an exploit is able to unlock a phone.  But using stolen property to do it?  You honestly think you have any ground to stand on there if they blacklist your device?  Something I personally would have considered before forking over money to an anonymous guy in China...

• johnlgalt, transmissiontech and kitcostantino like this

#40 ReservedName

ReservedName

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

I could see an issue for a subsidized device but in this case particularly, I paid out of pocket direct through the motomaker and I should have the right to unlock my phone. It may be slightly different than a bootloader unlock but the house bill legalizing carrier unlock just passed and would put any retributive acts on the part of vzw/att in a bad light. Not just bad PR but bad business actually, they would be losing customers with every blacklisted phone.

• johnlgalt and kitcostantino like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users