Photo

did everyone leave? ?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:57 AM

Two totally different things. Carrier unlocking doesn't mean squat in regards to the bootloader.

sent from my Tab Pro 12.2

• johnlgalt likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#42 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:11 AM

So, just so I get this straight, you're saying that it would put VZW/AT&T in a bad light if they took action against those who used stolen property to unlock their phones?  So, in your view, the customer is entitled to unlock their phone no matter how that's done and the carrier should just suck it if they don't like it?  That's.....an interesting viewpoint, I suppose.  Not one I happen to share.  I voted with my wallet, personally.  I went to a carrier that allowed me to bring my own unlockable device.  

• johnlgalt likes this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#43 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

Not having said device, I still ahve to agree - saving a whole $10 (one meal) to use an illegal method to unlock the phone does nto make sense to me.  And since I am in the market for a device that can be unlocked, I'd naturally buy the unlockable device outright.

#44 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:23 AM

The argument, if you can call it that, I've seen against just buying the dev edition is that you couldn't use moto maker to customize it.  So clearly buying a retail device and using a stolen unlock code is therefore justifiable.  :D

#45 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

Buy two - one Dev one MotoMaker then swap internals.  Then sell the other, just remove the developer edition silkscreening first

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#46 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

The argument, if you can call it that, I've seen against just buying the dev edition is that you couldn't use moto maker to customize it.  So clearly buying a retail device and using a stolen unlock code is therefore justifiable.   :D

Oh, noes!  No customization???

Buy two - one Dev one MotoMaker then swap internals.  Then sell the other, just remove the developer edition silkscreening first

Heh.  If I had the money....

#47 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

BTW, with the BIONICs, is it still only possible to get ROMs on it using the 2init (or whatever it was) process?  I saw a comment up above about someone running kk on the BIONIC, and I migt look into that to extend the life further until I can buy a new device.

#48 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

BTW, with the BIONICs, is it still only possible to get ROMs on it using the 2init (or whatever it was) process? I saw a comment up above about someone running kk on the BIONIC, and I migt look into that to extend the life further until I can buy a new device.

Yeah..as far as I know the way to run a KK ROM is using SS and a kexec type kernel. Been almost a year since I have paid attention though.

Sent via Blacked out TapaTalk on my Eclipsed Dev X

#49 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

Thanks, I'll look around.

#50 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

There are several 4.4.X builds over yonder.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#51 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Yea, SS is it.  DO NOT use the old BS recoveries unless you want to nastily brick the thing.  Fixing it involves a trip through the HoM and most likely wiping the data partition. I'd avoid that.  Look up saferoot-moto if you want to avoid the whole Linux rooting thing.

• johnlgalt likes this

#52 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Might look into it - Hav to do a lot of reading, I cannot afford to have my phone partially working, so if there are any issues, ROMing the phone might be a no-go b/c of a deal-breaker issue.  I sure as hell don't want to go back to the OG DROID.  4.5 yera old phone with no memory to speak of and a single core CPU tah can't even do 1200+ stable?  k, no thanks.

#53 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

SAFEstrap.  ;)  You can always boot to stock if stuff goes wrong.  :)

• mrlolli likes this

#54 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

Yeah, I remember, but I'm talking about the ROM itself - it's a PITA to boot back and forth, and I need at the bare minimum phone and VM working flawlessly, hence hte reading part.

#55 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:23 AM

Uhhhhhh, "a pain to switch back and forth"???  I take it you've not used SS before.  Just sayin'.  :)

#56 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Uhhhhhh, "a pain to switch back and forth"??? I take it you've not used SS before. Just sayin'. :)

Yeah..I will admit that that ability to have multiple ROMs all setup on different slots with a minimum load time is one thing I miss. Made testing stuff less stressful than doing it on my daily setup.

#57 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:18 AM

Uhhhhhh, "a pain to switch back and forth"???  I take it you've not used SS before.  Just sayin'.   :)

It takes time - evne if it is only, say 1 minute, it takes time.  I don't power my phone down now for anything, other than when I have to swap a battery.

Yeah..I will admit that that ability to have multiple ROMs all setup on different slots with a minimum load time is one thing I miss. Made testing stuff less stressful than doing it on my daily setup.

Yeah, good for devs and themers, and flashaholics.

#58 unbesorgt

unbesorgt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationQwghlm
  • Current Device(s):Droid Maxx

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

BTW, with the BIONICs, is it still only possible to get ROMs on it using the 2init (or whatever it was) process?  I saw a comment up above about someone running kk on the BIONIC, and I migt look into that to extend the life further until I can buy a new device.

Correct, I'm using SafeStrap.  Here's the page where the CM 11 nightlies are posted:  

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• johnlgalt likes this

#59 ReservedName

ReservedName

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:33 AM

So, just so I get this straight, you're saying that it would put VZW/AT&T in a bad light if they took action against those who used stolen property to unlock their phones?  So, in your view, the customer is entitled to unlock their phone no matter how that's done and the carrier should just suck it if they don't like it?  That's.....an interesting viewpoint, I suppose.  Not one I happen to share.  I voted with my wallet, personally.  I went to a carrier that allowed me to bring my own unlockable device.  

Meh. I do think it would put them in a bad light because it's difficult to prove any wrongdoing on the part of the end user. Of course they can prosecute the employee but there just isn't any profit in going after the customers who used the codes. I look at it like downloading music. Yes it's technically illegal, but prosecute the employee who leaked the album before release, not the people who downloaded the songs. After all, you can make more money if those people listen to your music than you would if you alienated the public by going after them for a practically victimless crime. Similar situation here, VZW is gonna make 100 bucks a month in perpetuity off the person that used code, or they can blacklist them and gain nothing. I'm not saying it's "right" or even legal but it's small potatoes and not practical for business to seek retribution against the end users.

Anyway this got off-track but that's the last I have to say about it. I do kinda miss my Bionic but it feels like a literal brick in my hand in comparison.

#60 medic

medic

It's not my blood....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationGhent
  • Current Device(s):Bionic 16gb, Nexus 7

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Correct, I'm using SafeStrap.  Here's the page where the CM 11 nightlies are posted:  

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

What are you using for GAPPS? Goo.im only has them listed for CM10.sumthin...

I stopped into VZW today on a whim. The BOGO offer is nice. Worked out pricing, came home, talked to the wife, now not so sure. She doesn't want a contract, and I am not able to swing buying them outright and trying to reduce our monthly bill.

Still rocking my Bionic, just d/l HoM for my 'nix box and will run it soon if need be!

• SamuriHL likes this

Wooohoooo, Jelly Belly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users