SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image

G'morning all!

After hearing someone joke about Verizon's new shared data plans I realized I hadn't looked into them at all. I figured this would be a perfect chance to write an analysis and let everyone know exactly what Verizon has been up to.
I will be doing the research as I type this article, so I will know just as much as you do as you read along. It should be kind of fun, learning together. You ready? Alright! Now let’s get this over with…

After navigating through Verizon’s website and picking a phone I move on to the plan selection, and this is what I am greeted with:

Posted Image

First thing I would like to mention is the notice hidden in the bottom left. Unless I am misinformed, their old overage rate was something like $10 - $12. Very sneaky Verizon, but anyways… It seems they are trying to get us to buy the 2 GB plan as it is highlighted and already selected. Now, if one was buying this phone for just their self and was a typical user this would save them about $10 over their old plan in the same data range. Then I realized that the bar was not scrolled all the way to the left. So I scrolled and was saw:

Posted Image

So it seems that (depending on exactly how much data one uses) they could be saving even more money than before, but Verizon was still trying to get people to pay for 2 GB. But enough of this basic stuff, let’s get on to what most of us would have to pay. Here is a macro of all the plans they offer:

Posted Image

Now on any given month I use between 12 -20 GB of data and that is if I do little to no tethering. But I do just about everything on my phone: I could download ROMs to my PC then transfer them via USB to my Razr, I could que up episodes of South Park on my laptop before work and bring that in every day instead of using Netflix, but I could also ride a rickshaw everywhere and going to the witch doctor to get bled every time I get sick. I’ll just take the time right now to thank the aliens that created us for that temporary unlimited data trick that popped up a few months ago; and that I did it early enough that when Verizon started catching on I wasn’t downgraded back.

As you can see above, I would be paying anywhere from $110 to $150 every month if I had to go with one of these plans. And let’s say I decided to go with the 12 GB, $110 per month plan and keep my data use low. Now let’s say I had a busy month with work and actually used 20 GB of data. Verizon would be sticking me with a $230 bill, a full $120 more for the same amount of data as if I had picked the higher plan. Now that friends, is a giant load of steamy bull excrement.

Before I continue I would like to talk about having more than one phone attached to the plan, as I am sure many of us have. While the numbers will be different, the situation is nearly the same: you would be saving money if your entire family really has no reason to have a smartphone anyways; but if you actually use your device you will most certainly be paying much, much more. Someone who has more experience with the old family plan pricing should chime in if they have any insight to offer.

Now what should the average DR user (read: super-power-user) get from this? Well unless you want to pay full retail for your next phone (in case you haven’t heard, if you use an upgrade you are forced to go by their new plans and give up your unlimited data, if you have it) I would say it is about time to jump ship. But to be honest now is probably the best time to do so.

With Verizon’s recent egregious attempts to block free speech (Google “Verizon owns the internet”), their insistence on locking our bootloaders, spying on our root access, and repeated attempts to renege on their contracts for unlimited data (including this most recent, most successful attempt), there is no better time to head off to greener pastures.

So what are your options? If you don’t mind locked bootloaders and signing another contract with a slightly less-evil company, AT&T is ramping up their LTE services around the US. But the best option in my opinion (and the route I will be taking) is to bite the bullet, <cry> give up your LTE </cry>, and head on over to T-Mobile’s pay-per-month plans. They are the cheapest around and you get the priceless perk of not having to sign a contract (added bonus: if you pick up a Nexus device you will actually get the perks that come with that). You will have to purchase a phone at retail price, or get smart and buy a 1-2 month old phone on eBay for half price.

The decision is yours; your cellular future and freedom are in your hands…
  • mugsy77 and cynnar like this

:-D :-D

#2 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

I would definitely say T-Mobile starting September 5th. Starting up true unlimited data with no throttling or caps!

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#3 techno-update

techno-update

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Twitter:technorom

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm still on unlimited so I'm not gonna complain. Not yet anyway, lol.
  • Thepatriotvirus likes this

#4 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Please for the love of god don't kill me for saying this but I would actually save about close to 100 bucks on the 14GB plan. My wife knows this too since she has looked into all this already because she was looking to add her mom on our bill so it looks like I will be sticking with big red.

I retract this statement and now sit in the corner in shame awaiting for my butt wooping that I so rightfully deserve lmao.

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#5 Thepatriotvirus

Thepatriotvirus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Current Device(s):Droid Bionic

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

I'll be saving money 100+ with big red since I have two upgrades in December that will be smartphones. 4 smartphones and 1 basic phone.

#6 robthefive0

robthefive0

Sarge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationN.J.

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Please for the love of god don't kill me for saying this but I would actually save about close to 100 bucks on the 14GB plan. My wife knows this too since she has looked into all this already because she was looking to add her mom on our bill so it looks like I will be sticking with big red.

How is that even possible? Do tell...lol
Posted Image

#7 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

I honestly don't see how it's possible for anyone to save money on these.....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

#8 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

I retract this statement and sit in the corner in shame!

#9 mugsy77

mugsy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think Verizon underestimates people actually leaving Verizon to a different and better solution. I guess they are forcing data customers away and will learn their mistakes of greed soon.

#10 AlistairChiss

AlistairChiss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR Maxx HD

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

I think you missed the base fee per device that gets stacked on top of the prices listed. The 10GB (the highest the calculator goes to) plan with a single smart phone added up to $140 a month. I am currently on a 2GB plan with 450 minutes and unlimited texting and pay $101 a month after all of the wonderful taxes and fees. With the share everything it adds up to $110 before the taxes and fees get added on.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Phone: Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD Tablet: Samsung Nexus 10

#11 Craze

Craze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Since there are 4 major carriers installing lte nationwide verizon will learn real quick. Alternatives are ATT, Sprint and T mobile . So its not like people aren't going to have options. Then some areas have companies like metro that have had lte installed before verizon (just crappy phones) The few items that ATT and T Mobile have that none other have is the hspa+ where lte isnt available. To each is own in the long run though. I have a old calling plan that my wife and i never get close to using the minutes (550 use maybe 200). So with call plan, text and my phone with unlimited data we pay 107 a month. At upgrade time if plans havent changed ill just move to another carrier. Most likely att since i get 50% off all plans and additional features.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#12 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks ND

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

I retract my previous statement after doing a little more research which I should have done before running my mouth lol. These new plans would bend me over.
  • mattlgroff likes this

#13 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

I retract my previous statement after doing a little more research which I should have done before running my mouth lol. These new plans would bend me over.

Lol, I was gonna say.......

Yeah I'm pretty this was Big Reds objective the whole time.

As stated in quotes from Verizon's higher ups, "This will being a huge overall profit to the corporation." Maybe not an exact quote but that's the jist.

#14 Craze

Craze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Attached Files

• Thach likes this

#15 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

We have a term in the Army for stuff like this. It's called BOHICA (Boh-hee-kah), stands for Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

• patsoxfan likes this

#16 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Good old Verizon breaking it off in their customers again. I have been looking into prepaid phones since I heard about full price to upgrade to keep unlimited data. I got my phone in January so I have some time to try out some services. Thanks for the tip on T Mobile that will be the next to check out.

I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#17 cynnar

cynnar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

We have a term in the Army for stuff like this. It's called BOHICA (Boh-hee-kah), stands for Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

LOL I love it! First time I've heard that.
I tend to question things I disbelieve are true. Some people cannot handle that. Sorry if you are one of those people.

#18 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I will pay full price for the phone and keep my unlimited data. I have had AT&T and T-Mobile. The service on Big Red is far superior to the both. I have been places and have full service while my wife's AT&T has nothing. I actually have to turn FoxFi on and let her tether to my phone so she can use hers. Big Red may be dicks and do stupid shizz pretty much daily, but bottom line is their service is second to none. T-Mo has unbeatable prices and it's fair that they do since their service is bottom on the list of the big 3. To each their own I guess is what it boils down to. I will pay the 6 or 700 bucks for the phone. It's just money, you can't take it with you when you die, so might as well spend it while you're here. Or simply just wait until the new hot release has dropped in price a little.
Posted Image

#19 Craze

Craze

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

I will pay full price for the phone and keep my unlimited data. I have had AT&T and T-Mobile. The service on Big Red is far superior to the both. I have been places and have full service while my wife's AT&T has nothing. I actually have to turn FoxFi on and let her tether to my phone so she can use hers. Big Red may be dicks and do stupid shizz pretty much daily, but bottom line is their service is second to none. T-Mo has unbeatable prices and it's fair that they do since their service is bottom on the list of the big 3. To each their own I guess is what it boils down to. I will pay the 6 or 700 bucks for the phone. It's just money, you can't take it with you when you die, so might as well spend it while you're here. Or simply just wait until the new hot release has dropped in price a little.

Correct in the past att and others have $#!+ty call reception, but they have always had their data. The calls are actually going on data soon so reception will be based off data service instead of gsm or cdma

#20 portscan

portscan

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Twitter:@JasonCollins23
  • LocationClarksville, TN
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S4- Stock Rooted on 4.3/Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1- Redemption Rom v6.1

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

I am talking service in general as in having signal. Phones are barely used for talking now.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Verizon, Shady Crooked, Stupid Heads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users