#221 mgarney26

mgarney26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Twitter:mgarney26
  • Locationmobile alabama

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

ok im sure this has been asked but im gonna ask again. i just installed the update...can i use the same method i used to root prior to getting this update today?
  • SoLongSidekick likes this

#222 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

ok im sure this has been asked but im gonna ask again. i just installed the update...can i use the same method i used to root prior to getting this update today?

Step 3.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#223 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Did you follow the instructions in this thread?

I know people have been looking them up on Google and I guess it doesn't say there that you need to have been rooted already and use Voodoo root keeper to be able to keep root as they closed the exploit in this build, as it says in step three (as mentioned above) in this thread.

:-D :-D

#224 Randy12

Randy12

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

I just wanted to make something clear for those who are going to upgrade, so that you won't make the same mistake that I made. If you rooted using the

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, then OTA Rootkeeper will NOT be able to restore root in .173! Root your phone using

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

method, protect root using OTA Rootkeeper and then temporarily unroot using OTA Rootkeeper. After updating to .173, you can then restore root using OTA Rootkeeper.

#225 bowtieduece

bowtieduece

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:09 AM

When I tried to run this update I got the error signature verification failed?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

#226 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

When I tried to run this update I got the error signature verification failed?

Verifying package or current system?

Package - your file is probably corrupt and you didn't check MD5's before flashing - redownload and check MD5's before trying to install
Current system - your original system is modified (frozen/deleted/modified system files) - easiest fix is to RSD and re-update

Posted Image

#227 bowtieduece

bowtieduece

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

Verifying package or current system?

Package - your file is probably corrupt and you didn't check MD5's before flashing - redownload and check MD5's

Yes verifying package, thanks I'll re download

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#228 bowtieduece

bowtieduece

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

Also what are the correct permissions for the pre install folder?

#229 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

Also what are the correct permissions for the pre install folder?

I don't have my device handy atm, but if you never used Safe Strap you should NOT have to worry about your Preinstall folder unless you manually went in there an deleted stuff

#230 dccoh

dccoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

I read this in the OP "Step 2: Disable Safestrap via the app. You do not have to remove the apk itself, but the system needs to be disabled."

I'm a noob to these forums and the Maxx (got it today).

So before I do the OTA, I need to startup Safestrap and 'uninstall recovery' ?

If I end up getting the ota via the normal methods (via the phones software updates), would I need to 'uninstall recovery' also? Or would that voodoo ota rootkeeper do the trick?

Thanks for taking the time out to answer.

#231 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:54 AM

I read this in the OP "Step 2: Disable Safestrap via the app. You do not have to remove the apk itself, but the system needs to be disabled."

I'm a noob to these forums and the Maxx (got it today).

So before I do the OTA, I need to startup Safestrap and 'uninstall recovery' ?

If I end up getting the ota via the normal methods (via the phones software updates), would I need to 'uninstall recovery' also? Or would that voodoo ota rootkeeper do the trick?

Thanks for taking the time out to answer.

Yes, you need to uninstall recovery to proceed through any update OTA or manual. Voodoo protects root which has nothing to do with safestrap.

Posted Image

#232 captmilk

captmilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Twitter:Captmilk
  • LocationErie, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:11 AM

I Rsd'd back to VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3_1FF_02.xml then rooted, used Voodoo Rootkeeper, temp unrooted, updated to .748 restored root, used Voodoo Rootkeeper again, temp unrooted again, updated to .173 restored root, and i'm now .173 rooted. I was completely stock from the start.

#233 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:13 AM

I Rsd'd back to VRZ_XT912_6.5.1-73_DHD-11_TA-3_1FF_02.xml then rooted, used Voodoo Rootkeeper, temp unrooted, updated to .748 restored root, used Voodoo Rootkeeper again, temp unrooted again, updated to .173 restored root, and i'm now .173 rooted. I was completely stock from the start.

Temp unroot isn't necessary but good to hear you updated without issue. I actually was really lazy and tired last night so when I RSD'd back to .744 I rooted/rootkeepered and went all the way to my newest build (beyond 174) before finally bothing to restore root. No issues.

Posted Image

#234 dccoh

dccoh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

I just got my phone yesterday but I had rooted, installed Safestrap 1.08 and froze some apps.

Today when I got up the new OTA was available to me. So I unfroze the apps that were frozen (Rom Toolbox Pro), I went into Safestrap and clicked 'uninstall recovery" then I used Voodoo Root Keeper and clicked Protect Root.

I then downloaded the update, and it installed fine. After reboot it gave a message that the update installed correctly.

I then uses Vodoo Root Keeper to restore root, i clicked Safestrap to 'install recovery' and all was good.

I greatly appreciate the wealth of knowledge that is available in these forums. Thanks.

#235 DrDavePepper

DrDavePepper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Google+:drdavepepper
  • LocationWisco

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Step 2.

I cant find an option to stop services for Bootstrap. Is is diff. than Safestrap?

#236 thefuzz

thefuzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

So, I'm running Arctic blue ROM on the safe side and full stock (with bloat frozen only) on the non-safe. Couple questions:
  • If I update can I still run Arctic on non-safe?
  • Why do I want to update if Arctic runs great and everything works? In other words is it worth it?
  • Back on my safe side I got the update via normal verizon update. Just confirming, there is absolutely no way this will simply install on my safe side if I am full stock on that side?
Thanks in advance!!

#237 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

So, I'm running Arctic blue ROM on the safe side and full stock (with bloat frozen only) on the non-safe. Couple questions:

• If I update can I still run Arctic on non-safe?
  • Why do I want to update if Arctic runs great and everything works? In other words is it worth it?
  • Back on my safe side I got the update via normal verizon update. Just confirming, there is absolutely no way this will simply install on my safe side if I am full stock on that side?
Thanks in advance!!

Arctic, iirc, runs on a 748 base. So... your arctic installation would break until it's updated to be compatible with the newer radios.

As far as the update itself, it sounds like you've done some fairly heavy modification to your phone. I won't straight say that the update will fail, but your chances are pretty high that it'll require you to RSD/Fastboot to accept a sanctioned update at this point.
  • thefuzz likes this

Posted Image

#238 arsenic1234

arsenic1234

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:28 PM

another awesome guide here
i had my new maxx up and rooted (zerg), backed up root, flashed the update, restored root and turned back on safestrap all in prolly 10 minutes
titanium backed up all my razr stuff over and switched phones in only a little while with all my data, flashed update, root, etc
this forum still has the best leaks, roms, and info current and up to date over ANY other Razr forum I've seen
my hats all to you all for great work

#239 thefuzz

thefuzz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

OK, not that I can really help anyone cuz it seems every path is differnet depending on what you have done to your phone! I had mine heavily modded, safestrap; running arctic on un-safe and stock but frozen apps on safe side.

I RSDed back to .744; confirmed root, installed Voodoo OTA, keep root. installed .744 update, said it didn't work (took 3 times), wiped cache/data (didn't do this the first time. Installed update again, said it failed "error 7" but it didn't! It took! Installed OTA Rootkeeper, restored su, no issues, rooted again! rebooted into stock recovery, ran .748 update with zero issues! Rebooted, reinstalled OTA Rootkeeper again, restore su, rooted!!! YaY!!!!

#240 curse3800

curse3800

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Thanks arcane, that should be helpful =D

And thanks to you mattlgroff, ur preinstall files helped save me from fastbooting. So Thank You!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users