• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#61 Z28nck33

Z28nck33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:25 AM

With the fastboot files they will flash the 744 system over in it's entirety which includes the original kernel. My question would be the link that was provided saying you could just flash a zip to get back to 748. With the locked bootloader, do flashes change kernels? I am not a dev so I am not up to speed on that one.

I understand it changes the system but you shouldn't be able to downgrade the kernel no matter what with the locked bootloader. At least on the bionic you can't. That's why im confused here

#62 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:14 AM

Roll back to 748. re root/protect. Upgrade again. I had the same issue during one of my trials.

Very odd...when I initially installed 6.12.173.xt912.verizon.en.us the update went through OK, but root keeper could not restore root.
I rolled back to 748. re rooted, protected with root keeper but now after running the update for .173 I'm still on .748

#63 Nit3mare

Nit3mare

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:40 AM

So I'm fairly certain that I'm still stuck on the latest kernal. I updated fine to the latest release, but ended up having to roll back using the fastboot file. Now I can't update to the .748 update at all, I'm getting that tmp/sideload/package.zip error. Any ideas?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#64 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

If the new cheesecake has a different kernel how can you downgrade with the 744 fastboot files?

Fastboot overwrites the entire system. Kernel, radio and all.

With the fastboot files they will flash the 744 system over in it's entirety which includes the original kernel. My question would be the link that was provided saying you could just flash a zip to get back to 748. With the locked bootloader, do flashes change kernels? I am not a dev so I am not up to speed on that one.

These are not custom packages hence they do not require an unlocked BL. They come directly from motorola. The downgrade package will roll back everything to 748. Kernel, radio, etc etc etc.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#65 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

Very odd...when I initially installed 6.12.173.xt912.verizon.en.us the update went through OK, but root keeper could not restore root.
I rolled back to 748. re rooted, protected with root keeper but now after running the update for .173 I'm still on .748

I'm going to assume you didn't read the file names section or accidentally ran the file called 6.12.173. This file downgrades you back to 748. Not upgrade. Make sure you use the file named 6.11.748.XT912.

So I'm fairly certain that I'm still stuck on the latest kernal. I updated fine to the latest release, but ended up having to roll back using the fastboot file. Now I can't update to the .748 update at all, I'm getting that tmp/sideload/package.zip error. Any ideas?

Factory wipe and fastboot again. Make sure you accept the regular OTA before trying to update to 6.12.173. You cannot be coming from .744 for the leak install. The new kernel/radios aren't compatible with the older version so you wouldn't even be able to boot/connect to the towers if either was still in place. My guess is you just got a bad flash if you're not able to install the regular OTA.

I understand it changes the system but you shouldn't be able to downgrade the kernel no matter what with the locked bootloader. At least on the bionic you can't. That's why im confused here

See the post 1 above this one.
  • jtelander likes this

Posted Image

#66 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:15 AM

I also want to take a moment to reiterate something from step 1 since it seems to be getting overlooked.

Anything that you couldn't uninstall without root needs to be on the phone. This includes things like editing the swype files so that you could install betas. If you are not in this boat, chances are extremely good that you are going to fail the current system verification phase and the update will not install.

This is the number one reason that installs fail. Something, somewhere along the line, either you or an app edited/removed/renamed something and you are no longer stock. Once single apk change / lib change / etc will cause the install to abort.

Posted Image

#67 Nit3mare

Nit3mare

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

I'm going to assume you didn't read the file names section or accidentally ran the file called 6.12.173. This file downgrades you back to 748. Not upgrade. Make sure you use the file named 6.11.748.XT912.

Factory wipe and fastboot again. Make sure you accept the regular OTA before trying to update to 6.12.173. You cannot be coming from .744 for the leak install. The new kernel/radios aren't compatible with the older version so you wouldn't even be able to boot/connect to the towers if either was still in place. My guess is you just got a bad flash if you're not able to install the regular OTA.

See the post 1 above this one.

I've done a complete factory wipe and fastboot flash about four times within the last hour, and it's a no go. I've tried wiping first, then flashing and vice versa. Not really sure what to do at this point.

#68 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:45 AM

I've done a complete factory wipe and fastboot flash about four times within the last hour, and it's a no go. I've tried wiping first, then flashing and vice versa. Not really sure what to do at this point.

If you use Haahcodes Safestrap... You need to do a full rsd back to .744 voodoo root protect and work your way forward. This works I can verify personally. Accomplished twice yesterday... full! Rsd.. the link at the bottom of the OP for Fastboot.

#69 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

Which is failing. The ota or leak?

Posted Image

#70 jtelander

jtelander

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

I'm going to assume you didn't read the file names section or accidentally ran the file called 6.12.173. .

I may have done the latter.

I don't know why but I renamed the wrong file to update.zip (forgetting that re-naming is not necessary in the first place). Thanks for heads up...you are providing a great service to folks here.

#71 Nit3mare

Nit3mare

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

Which is failing. The ota or leak?

The OTA to .748. I've reverted to stock .744 with the fastboot flash, and I haven't removed any stock apps or anything. I've rooted, but I've been temp-unrooting with the OTA Rootkeeper. Still getting that awful Error 7, tmp/sideload/package.zip.

#72 RangeOfficer452

RangeOfficer452

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:19 AM

The OTA to .748. I've reverted to stock .744 with the fastboot flash, and I haven't removed any stock apps or anything. I've rooted, but I've been temp-unrooting with the OTA Rootkeeper. Still getting that awful Error 7, tmp/sideload/package.zip.

I got this error also, but I immediately let it reboot, all new update was there except no radio. so I rebooted and reinstalled update and it went through flawlessly and only took 1—2 minutes to complete. I did not change anything back after the fail, I just let it reboot on its own and reinstalled.

#73 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:20 AM

Factory restore and RSD if you have to.

Posted Image

#74 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

I got this error also, but I immediately let it reboot, all new update was there except no radio. so I rebooted and reinstalled update and it went through flawlessly and only took 1—2 minutes to complete. I did not change anything back after the fail, I just let it reboot on its own and reinstalled.

You have used Safestrap... SAFESTRAP IS THE ISSUE EVEN IF YOU HAVE NEVER REMOVED BLOAT LIKE MYSELF.

#75 rnlcomp

rnlcomp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationS.E. Louisiana

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

When all else fails, don't forget to clear cache when your in the factory recovery mode then reboot and update again.

#76 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

Anyone else having issues connecting to motocast with this leak? I'm unable to set it up.. this sucks!!! I have 20,000 songs and all the new DVDs out on my network device... this is a no go for me unless someone knows how to fix.

#77 NickL83

NickL83

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBranford, CT

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Thanks guys very much, Im no longer stuck at step 8. The clarification of the names is what did it. Thanks again!

#78 mrkasparks

mrkasparks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Install went smooth for me. Followed directions to the t. Although battery life seems worse and system seems kinda lagging. Every tome I exit an app the home screen has to reload. I installed safe strap this time instead of bootstrap. Any suggestions as to why?

#79 JungleKing76

JungleKing76

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Anyone else having issues connecting to motocast with this leak? I'm unable to set it up.. this sucks!!! I have 20,000 songs and all the new DVDs out on my network device... this is a no go for me unless someone knows how to fix.

Motocast has been updated on this. You have to go to your PC and find the motocast icon in the tray, right click on it and choose "check for updates". Let motocast on your PC update to the newest version.

Then even after my PC was updated, it would not connect properly so I went into motocast settings on my RAZR and I chose motocast data reset, which just clears the motocast info and cache off of your device. Then go back through the steps to set up motocast on your phone and it will sync up with your PC.

This new version of motocast now allows you to sync your pictures from phone to PC via wifi which is nice.

#80 Z28nck33

Z28nck33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Fastboot overwrites the entire system. Kernel, radio and all.

These are not custom packages hence they do not require an unlocked BL. They come directly from motorola. The downgrade package will roll back everything to 748. Kernel, radio, etc etc etc.

That's crazy. On the bionic if were were on a different kernel you downgrade can't change it no matter what. Even without the full fxz from motorola

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update Guide

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users