• Please log in to reply
474 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

YOU CANNOT USE THIS ON THE LATEST UPDATE. IF IN DOUBT DON'T TRY IT.

This is ONLY for the Huawei MyTouch 4G from T-Mobile! This will not work on any other phone!

This phone does not have a trackball or physical keyboard, and is not by LG or HTC

THIS WORKS ON THE HUAWEI MYTOUCH 4G Slide Keyboard too!

Posted Image

Download(s) for Windows:
http://174.132.194.6...WindowsRoot.zip

Instructions for Windows:
Install the Huawei Android USB Drivers. (These are included in the zip above now)
Plug in the phone and have it booted like normal. Do NOT mount USB Storage.
Enable USB Debugging. (Settings > Applications > Developer Options)
Extract the zip above, and run the Root.bat. Done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download(s) for Linux:
http://174.132.194.6...G_LinuxRoot.zip
Instructions for Linux:
Enable USB Debugging. (Settings > Applications > Developer Options).
Extract the downloaded zip from above to anywhere in your machine and 'cd' into the folder with terminal.
Example:
cd Desktop/HuaweiMyTouch4G_LinuxRoot/
Run the bash script as admin. Enter password if asked. If you error make sure the Root.sh is executable. (In Ubuntu, right click, Properties, check Executable)
sudo bash Root.sh
Follow the onscreen instructions.

Download(s) for Mac:
http://174.132.194.6...h4G_MacRoot.zip

Instructions for Mac:

Enable USB Debugging. (Settings > Applications > Developer Options).
Extract the downloaded zip from above to anywhere in your machine and 'cd' into the folder with terminal.

Example:
cd Desktop/HuaweiMyTouch4G_LinuxRoot/

Run the bash script as admin. Enter password if asked. If you error make sure the Root.sh is executable. Read the included document for more information.
sudo bash Root.sh
Follow the onscreen instructions.

Thanks to stealthmouse and obeygiant for modifying my Razr Utility to Mac/Linux by following that I ported my Windows Root for Huawei MyTouch 4G to Mac/Linux :)

Edited by mattlgroff, 10 December 2012 - 03:30 PM.
Fixed links

• Thach, SirRastusBear, Kreed and 5 others like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

World's First Rooted Huawei MyTouch 4G!
Posted Image
and.. the crappy flash version.
Posted Image
and... a screenshot.
Posted Image
  • jb0nez, eamondaly and alethal like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#3 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

Great job on this. Hopefully we see more people rolling in to check out this grab bag of pure awesomeness.
  • alethal likes this

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#4 Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

Rom Breaker

• Developer
  • 55 posts
  • Twitter:@RomBreaker
  • Google+:rombreaker@gmail.com
  • LocationLansing,MI

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

Gingerbread?? AHHH!!! Run away!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

Gingerbread?? AHHH!!! Run away!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

It's definitely capable of running Jellybean with 1GB of ram. Just need CWM and the build to not hate me so much.

#6 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Well done. I'll be trying this as soon as my wife gets home. What are the chances of a brick with this method? Would you consider it very safe/reliable? Can I ask any details about how you managed to do it?

Edit: I'm just a bit hesitant...only because my wife needs her phone for work, if it were mine I'd be all over this. Any other confirmed success or failure with this method? Looks pretty elegant according to the .bat, simply fastbooting off a file sent via USB, not writing any files to the device until it's pushing the su on, not replacing recovery, etc, but I think I'd just be worried about getting stuck in fastboot mode or something.

#7 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

Well done. I'll be trying this as soon as my wife gets home. What are the chances of a brick with this method? Would you consider it very safe/reliable? Can I ask any details about how you managed to do it?

Edit: I'm just a bit hesitant...only because my wife needs her phone for work, if it were mine I'd be all over this. Any other confirmed success or failure with this method? Looks pretty elegant according to the .bat, simply fastbooting off a file sent via USB, not writing any files to the device until it's pushing the su on, not replacing recovery, etc, but I think I'd just be worried about getting stuck in fastboot mode or something.

This phone is very unbrickable. I rooted my phone with this (more than a few times now) and can 100% say this will not brick you. This uses "fastboot boot InsecureKernel.img" instead of a "fastboot flash" to ensure this even more. Worst case you reboot and everything is normal, but it would never get to that point.

When you boot the phone by holding both volume keys and the power button you will get a pink screen. If you are on linux or have the drivers installed on Windows, you will get a mounted drive, which contains boot.img and the recovery.img. I ran the boot.img through my insecure kernel tool I got from a buddy at XDA a while back and made an insecure boot.img. What an "insecure" kernel means is that if you boot using it your "adb shell" will automatically be root access on boot while using it. I use "fastboot boot InsecureKernel.img" to boot the device once with this method to mount /system/ so we can put su binary, Superuser.apk, and busybox in their respective places and set the right permissions. The phone then reboots and the InsecureKernel was like it was never there.

You cannot get stuck in any mode actually, just battery pull and unplug.

If you do crazy stuff with root on your own and "brick" you simply boot into a linux distro and replace the drive that pops up with the /system/ with a system pull while in Pink Screen mode.

Sorry if I got too technical, but you did indeed ask ;)

#8 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

Holy crap, that exploit finds a hole as ancient as the G1s was. Wow, they must have figured no one would bother messing with this device! Nice deal Matt.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#9 gscape

gscape

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'm having difficulties getting this to work on my Mac. I end up with this in the terminal:

Plug the phone in with a USB cord and have it booted up normally.
Please install the included drivers before we begin.
Go to Settings . Applications . Developer Options and enable USB Debugging.
If these are done press any key to continue.

< waiting for device >
        downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [  1.052s]
                       booting... OKAY [  0.163s]
Phone is rebooting please dont touch anything.
failed to copy './files/su' to '/system/bin//su': Read-only file system
failed to copy './files/Superuser.apk' to '/system/app//Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
failed to copy './files/busybox' to '/system/xbin//busybox': Read-only file system
Setting permissions.
Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory
That's It!
You Are Now Rooted!

And the phone remains unrooted. Any ideas?

Thank you!

#10 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I'm having difficulties getting this to work on my Mac. I end up with this in the terminal:

Plug the phone in with a USB cord and have it booted up normally. Please install the included drivers before we begin. Go to Settings . Applications . Developer Options and enable USB Debugging. If these are done press any key to continue. &lt; waiting for device &gt; downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 1.052s] booting... OKAY [ 0.163s] Phone is rebooting please dont touch anything. failed to copy './files/su' to '/system/bin//su': Read-only file system failed to copy './files/Superuser.apk' to '/system/app//Superuser.apk': Read-only file system failed to copy './files/busybox' to '/system/xbin//busybox': Read-only file system Setting permissions. Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory Unable to chmod /system/app/Superuser.apk: No such file or directory That's It! You Are Now Rooted!
And the phone remains unrooted. Any ideas? Thank you!

Dang, the mac version I seemed to have forgotten an important line..
adb remount
I will add it back in and reupload. Apologies.

EDIT: It is reuploaded. Same link as before.

#11 gscape

gscape

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Thank you, thank you! Worked like a charm. Any hope of getting ICS+ on here? ;)

#12 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thank you, thank you! Worked like a charm. Any hope of getting ICS+ on here? ;)

Might be some indeed! I got CWM up and 80% working lol. It is tethered though.
  • cody2000 likes this

#13 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Thank you for the explanation. Not too technical at all. So simple and elegant, well played my friend!

Now we need to discuss what bloat can be safely removed. I noticed some system apps (slacker, telenavgps, tmobile41) are installed into /data/data; Titanium backup backs them up ok but can't uninstall, says it can't find the apk. Now that I have a root shell I can rm them and have done so for some like slacker and telenavgps but the TmobileMall one, the MobileLife Contacts, T-Mobile My Account, I'm afraid to rm as I don't know if the phone will boot without them. We need to make a list of the bloat that safe to remove; if I were to remove the wrong thing I'd have trouble getting it back I'm sure. I'd probably need someone to send me the file and somehow mount the sdcard and put the files back or something.

Edit: I RM'd telenavgps -- rebooted and the damn thing was back!!! WTF?

Edit2: It seems they have some odd huaweivfs type file system - not sure if it's a cache or what. If you do
find /system /data -name *telenav*
you see all sorts of interesting things. I again removed it from /data/data, made sure to stop the service first. Did a find command again, nothing came up. Rebooted and IT WAS BACK!

Edit 3: This is so wierd. I can't find the apk that telenav is coming from, wildtangent is coming from, tmobiletv, etc. I think there's a master apk in /data/app that gets run on startup and installs those. Cause I blow away the /data/data dir for them, as that's all that comes up on a find, but they all come back after a reboot...

#14 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thank you for the explanation. Not too technical at all. So simple and elegant, well played my friend!

Now we need to discuss what bloat can be safely removed. I noticed some system apps (slacker, telenavgps, tmobile41) are installed into /data/data; Titanium backup backs them up ok but can't uninstall, says it can't find the apk. Now that I have a root shell I can rm them and have done so for some like slacker and telenavgps but the TmobileMall one, the MobileLife Contacts, T-Mobile My Account, I'm afraid to rm as I don't know if the phone will boot without them. We need to make a list of the bloat that safe to remove; if I were to remove the wrong thing I'd have trouble getting it back I'm sure. I'd probably need someone to send me the file and somehow mount the sdcard and put the files back or something.

Edit: I RM'd telenavgps -- rebooted and the damn thing was back!!! WTF?

Edit2: It seems they have some odd huaweivfs type file system - not sure if it's a cache or what. If you do
find /system /data -name *telenav*
you see all sorts of interesting things. I again removed it from /data/data, made sure to stop the service first. Did a find command again, nothing came up. Rebooted and IT WAS BACK!

Edit 3: This is so wierd. I can't find the apk that telenav is coming from, wildtangent is coming from, tmobiletv, etc. I think there's a master apk in /data/app that gets run on startup and installs those. Cause I blow away the /data/data dir for them, as that's all that comes up on a find, but they all come back after a reboot...

They are on a protected image that we cannot edit yet

#15 jb0nez

jb0nez

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Ahhhhh. This phone is very different from other android devices I've rooted and debloated. Huawei did some odd stuff. the phone is surprisingly nice for the price, though. Much snappier than my Samsung Galaxy S 4g.
So next steps are figure out how to debloat by accessing that protected image, and figure out how to get a proper recovery and new ROMs. The former I'm into, the latter I'm not, I'm fine with Gingerbread. Thank you for your efforts! I was able to install the hiddden Cerberus anti theft app into /system so it will survive a factory reset, and that was my main goal. Debloat is secondary.

#16 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

Ahhhhh. This phone is very different from other android devices I've rooted and debloated. Huawei did some odd stuff. the phone is surprisingly nice for the price, though. Much snappier than my Samsung Galaxy S 4g. So next steps are figure out how to debloat by accessing that protected image, and figure out how to get a proper recovery and new ROMs. The former I'm into, the latter I'm not, I'm fine with Gingerbread. Thank you for your efforts! I was able to install the hiddden Cerberus anti theft app into /system so it will survive a factory reset, and that was my main goal. Debloat is secondary.

My test rom didn't go so well :/ bootloops...bootloops everywhere!

https://dl.dropbox.c...mod Pheonix.zip
Run the batch and temp boot to CWM, select is the camera key, power key is the back key, and volumes are move.

It has random reboots so it is not something to be toyed with easily, but if you need a flash a small zip it should do the trick. This is possible of causing a brick if it crashes while flashing a rom after flashing /system/ :(

#17 saxman2k

saxman2k

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:00 AM

Hopefully someone can help me. I follow all of the instructions but I still cant get it to work. I'm running windows 7. I install the drivers, plug in the phone, enable usb debugging, then click on "root." From here the command promt pops up and says "daemon not running. Starting it now on port 5037. Daemon started successfully." Then it say, "waiting for device." At this point my phone attemps to reboot, but ultimately hangs on the "android 4g tomobile sceen." No matter how long I wait, it just hangs there, and the command promt just hangs on "wating for device."

Any help would be greatly, greatly appriciated! :)
  • jaimengabourel likes this

#18 ogodslayero

ogodslayero

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

@Saxman2k After installing the drivers click start then find drivertools in your start menu open that and select install drivers.

#19 saxman2k

saxman2k

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:11 AM

thanks for the response. :) already took that step though so im still in the same boat. :(

#20 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

thanks for the response. :) already took that step though so im still in the same boat. :(

Yeah its either drivers or the USB Cable or the USB port you are using. You can try a different machine. I'll be in the chatroom for a bit

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users