Photo

Where would I find a Razr Maxx HD that I can run a different ROM on?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

I have the Razr-M which I rooted but the boot loader is unlockable and could not get CyanogenMod to load (I know people have done it but I also don't have much memory -- about 4 gigs available after factory reset.

I have been wanting to upgrade to the Maxx anyway for the extra battery life so I would like to find one I can install another ROM on.  I have Verizon as my provider. 

My understanding is once you get to the 9.18.79 firmware you are out of luck--the boot loader cannot be unlocked and so your choices are limited (even if you root it).  I'd just like to try CyanogenMod (or possibly another) so really I am just looking for a Maxx that I can install that on.

Also, not sure what the big deal is about rooting these phones with the bootloader locked--there is not a whole lot you can do--my goal is to get rid of all the crap I don't need on my phone which I can't do as long as I am running the Stock ROM.  Is that correct?

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

You might be able find a HD on Ebay or Swappa that can still be unlocked.  You might even find one that is already unlocked.  As far as not being able to do anything with only root, that is where you are wrong.  Root opens up debloating, enhancing performance, and installing Xposed.  With Xposed, you almost don't even need to flash a ROM.

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

As far as not being able to do anything with only root, that is where you are wrong.  Root opens up debloating, enhancing performance, and installing Xposed.  With Xposed, you almost don't even need to flash a ROM.

Thanks for the reply.  So I can pretty much buy any used Maxx then?  What is "Xposed"?

#4 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

XPosed Framework, a quick search will net you the answer.  It's a pretty cool little thing that allows you to modify your stock ROM to the point of being full custom.

#5 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

XPosed Framework, a quick search will net you the answer.  It's a pretty cool little thing that allows you to modify your stock ROM to the point of being full custom.

Yeah--I saw it and installed it--lots of different apps.  Any guide to the best ones.  I am most interested in preserving battery.  I am lucky if mine lasts a day---probably need a new one but its a pain in the butt to change and that's why I was looking for the Maxx HD.  I assume you can root the Maxx HD the same way I did my Razr-m regardless of firmware version?

#6 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

What did you root your M with?  If the HD is the latest firmware, then you'll need SafeRoot to root it. 

For saving battery, I like to run Greenify.  You can use it to hibernate apps and if you pay, it also has the option for system apps.  I can't speak for my M right now because I'm using it for media only, but I can get about 2 days on my HD with average to heavy use and three days or so with little use.

• jl90 likes this

#7 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

BTW, Xposed is incompatible with Kitkat's ART (replacement for Dalvik).

Just so you know.

• RikRong likes this

#8 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:45 AM

Just so you know.

Does this include the KK compatible version they have out there? There are two APKs to install - one for JB and one for KK.

Just curious as I use it on my KK Nexus 7 (2012) without any issues as well as my JB HD.

Thanks for the heads up!

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#9 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

From what I have seen, yes.  I have two different kk-based ROms for my TF700, and if Xposed is installed then ART will either not enable or will throw the device into a bootloop.

Since both are kk-based (CM11) ROMs, I'm assuming that the Xposed .apks are the KK version.

For more information, see

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

In that list, you can look up Xposed Framework, which is listed as not working, or you can filter by "not working" to see all titles reported as not working.

HTH

• ibolski likes this

#10 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, I've never been able to get ART to work on any of my devices with KK and XPosed installed.  I don't think it's only XPosed, I'm sure there are some other apps that aren't compatible with ART.  Keep in mind, there aren't many custom apps that have been developed for ART yet.

#11 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

More than a few games refuse to work under ART as well.  NFS:MW, Zenonia series, and WSOP: Texas Holdem come to mind - and a few others I cannot remember off the top of my head.

#12 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

I

What did you root your M with?  If the HD is the latest firmware, then you'll need SafeRoot to root it. 

I used Saferoot to do it.  Followed this thread: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

You don't need the Samsung drivers--it worked fine with my phone without them.

#13 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

The problem is I wanted to install a CyanogenMod but couldn't get it to work using Safestrap.  I had no problem installing it or creating a new slot but when I tried to install I got nothing but black screen.  In fact, I could not even run the latest versions of Safestrap.   I am using 3.12 when I tried the later versions of it I again got black screen.  And my understanding is you need later versions of Safestrap to run CyanogenMod.  That's why I was looking for a Maxx that I could unlock the boot loader.

#14 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

If the HD is the latest firmware, then you'll need SafeRoot to root it. 

So what you are saying is if I purchase an HD I could root it the same way I did my M with Saferoot, correct?  And that's regardless of the firmware version?  Because frankly if I can control the Android OS like I could a custom I would be happy with that so with a rooted HD and Xposed I could pretty much have control over the apps, right?

I had to do a factory reset because my "M" had slowed down so badly it was dragging.  Works pretty good now but obviously I would like to get to the point where I can do a back up--save it then when the phone starts getting bogged down again restore and be right back where I was without reinstalling apps.

#15 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

The problem is I wanted to install a CyanogenMod but couldn't get it to work using Safestrap.  I had no problem installing it or creating a new slot but when I tried to install I got nothing but black screen.  In fact, I could not even run the latest versions of Safestrap.   I am using 3.12 when I tried the later versions of it I again got black screen.  And my understanding is you need later versions of Safestrap to run CyanogenMod.  That's why I was looking for a Maxx that I could unlock the boot loader.

CM is not compatible with SS, regardless of the version of SS you are using.

So what you are saying is if I purchase an HD I could root it the same way I did my M with Saferoot, correct?  And that's regardless of the firmware version?  Because frankly if I can control the Android OS like I could a custom I would be happy with that so with a rooted HD and Xposed I could pretty much have control over the apps, right?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

• cmulder likes this

#16 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Why don't one of you geeky types just figure out how to unlock the boot loader on these phones with the latest firmware! :D

#17 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

CM is not compatible with SS, regardless of the version of SS you are using.

I saw that but I had also saw posts where people were claiming they got CyanogenMod to work WITH A LOCKED BOOTLOADER USING SAFESTRAP.  And frankly its not like I was in love with CyanogenMod, I was just wanting something where I could get rid of all the bloatware but if Xposed can accomplish it I have no issue with running Android.

As you can tell probably I am not that versed on this stuff.   I was about 90% certain I was going to brick my phone when I started this endeavor but I was so sick of it dragging and the battery running low quickly I figured I'd just get a new phone if I did that! :D   But as it worked out I was successful in rooting it so I guess I'll just start researching the Xposed.   I do have Greenify installed not to sure yet how that works, but when I get time I'll come back here and get some help on fine tuning.

I think I will try that on my "M" and if works well, snag an HD off of Swappa and do the same thing with that.  How are these HDs?  They must be a lot better on battery life than the Ms?

#18 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Just so you know.

And see I don't even know what that means. Don't know what Kitkat's ART is -- I did see "Wipe Dalvik" in Safestrap options but have no idea what that is either.  I am great with computers--built half a dozen or so desktops but never screwed around my phone.   However, understanding how you get such garbage loaded on when you buy a stock computer I figured I could do the same with my phone--start from scratch and just load what I want. 

#19 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I saw that but I had also saw posts where people were claiming they got CyanogenMod to work WITH A LOCKED BOOTLOADER USING SAFESTRAP.  And frankly its not like I was in love with CyanogenMod, I was just wanting something where I could get rid of all the bloatware but if Xposed can accomplish it I have no issue with running Android.

As you can tell probably I am not that versed on this stuff.   I was about 90% certain I was going to brick my phone when I started this endeavor but I was so sick of it dragging and the battery running low quickly I figured I'd just get a new phone if I did that! :D   But as it worked out I was successful in rooting it so I guess I'll just start researching the Xposed.   I do have Greenify installed not to sure yet how that works, but when I get time I'll come back here and get some help on fine tuning.

I think I will try that on my "M" and if works well, snag an HD off of Swappa and do the same thing with that.  How are these HDs?  They must be a lot better on battery life than the Ms?

There was a version of CM10 running around that worked on SS, but it has kind of disappeared.

#20 cmulder

cmulder

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

What does "4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich); upgradeable to 4.1 (Jelly Bean) software" mean.  Someone is selling a phone and that is all they know about it.  Is that in any way instructive on whether boot loader can be unlocked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users