SnydersWeb

Part Time Mountain Sage, Part Time Village Idiot

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 5

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

I picked up a Chromecast last weekend and have had the chance to toy with it some.  

My general thoughts:

• Cast Screen on Moto X doesn't work - but it doesn't seem to work on any device just yet.   Would be wonderful to have this as I used my HDMI out on my Bionic off and on.
  • Not too many apps support it just yet - if I were a NetFlix user I can see where this would be an awesome get!
  • DoggCatcher casting (beta) works great
  • Google Play Music also works great
  • YouTube works perfectly and fast - I also have TiVo(s) but the YouTube client in TiVo isn't that great, it often takes 2-3 times to get a video to successfully cast, while the Chromecast works the first time every time.

I plan to hang onto it.  For $35 it's worth hanging onto but it is my hope that it will become more useful over time.

• Thach and vdubdan87 like this
"Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
- J. Michael Straczynski

#2 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

I think it's worth it, too.  It is limited on what it can do right now, but it is a lot easier to use the native apps on my phone, than the ones that were pre-loaded on my TV.

• vdubdan87 likes this

R. Long: Pixel 5

#3 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Google+:kellym
  • LocationNY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel XL

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

When you refer to Netflix, are you talking about casting exclusively from the phone? Netflix casts fine from laptop. AllCast has worked best for me to cast pictures and videos from my N5. I love the device. We brought it with us to a hotel last week and used my Hotspot to watch movies.

There is a chromecast community on G+ I follow, you may want to check it out. It's been very helpful.
  • SnydersWeb likes this

#4 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

When you refer to Netflix, are you talking about casting exclusively from the phone? Netflix casts fine from laptop. AllCast has worked best for me to cast pictures and videos from my N5. I love the device. We brought it with us to a hotel last week and used my Hotspot to watch movies.

There is a chromecast community on G+ I follow, you may want to check it out. It's been very helpful.

I was going off of what you were saying earlier - though I didn't make a distinction about how the casting was done.  I was assuming App since that was primarily what I saw listed.

On the G+ Chromecast community: are you referring to this one?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Will Check out AllCast:

Koush is certainly a well known personality in the Android Community.

• kellym likes this
"Faith and reason are the shoes on your feet! You can travel further with both than you can with just one."
- J. Michael Straczynski

#5 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:52 PM

Yes, that's the community. AllCast gets frequent updates.

PlexCast has good reviews, but it's not free and there is a subscription involved.

BubbleUpnUp is another popular casting app. I haven't tried it. As you said, Koush is well established and respected, his app has suited my needs.

Keep us posted with your progress.

#6 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

Heh, hopefully not just me!

I have downloaded AllCast - will give this a go when I get home from the Gym tonight - and if my wife is watching our main TV i'll just move it to a different one.  :-)  That is one nice thing about the Chromecast - tiny!  

- J. Michael Straczynski

#7 shane1

shane1

Droid Elite

• 1,596 posts
  • Twitter:1shane15
  • Google+:shanebarone1@gmail.com (gtalk/hangouts)
  • Locationny
  • Current Device(s):Gen 2 Moto X,2015 Moto X Pure,N9, N7,& N6

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

I'm liking my chromecast. Streaming from chrome beta on my moto x has been flawless so far. Same with my n7 2013

Posted Image
sig made by

Rinkle McBally

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, chrome beta has worked very well

sent from my Tab Pro 12.2

• shane1 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#9 useltonm

useltonm

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Device(s):T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3,

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

Yes, that's the community. AllCast gets frequent updates.

PlexCast has good reviews, but it's not free and there is a subscription involved.

BubbleUpnUp is another popular casting app. I haven't tried it. As you said, Koush is well established and respected, his app has suited my needs.

Plex doesn't require a subscription. You can buy the app for $5 I think. Maybe $4. You do need a plex server running though.

Vudu and flixster also work with Chromecast.

Allcast is slow on my phone to cast pics, but I haven't tried it in a while.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

#10 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Allcast is slow on my phone to cast pics, but I haven't tried it in a while.

Just tried Allcast. It works but as you said, slow. I'm not sure I'll buy it since my only interest is sending pictures. If the gallery app ever gets that I won't have any use for it.

So back to wait and see.
- J. Michael Straczynski

#11 kellym

kellym

Droid Oracle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

This website was recommended on G+ for more accurate updates to app CC support:

• SnydersWeb and shane1 like this

#12 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:22 AM

I also saw a reference to this App that lists all known Apps that uses or can use Chromecast:

• shane1 likes this
- J. Michael Straczynski

#13 mjduffy

mjduffy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr, Moto X, RAZR M

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. Not sure if this thread is still active, but I use the Chromecast as a presentation tool rather than a wireless HDMI. You just use Chrome on your laptop, tablet or phone drop your MS Office file into Chrome and it projects onto the device you have the Chromecast plugged into. You do need to enable the Chrome extension "Open with Office Web Apps Viewer". I am going to have to try some of these other apps though!

• kellym, RikRong and shane1 like this

#14 Quietcowboy

Quietcowboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):xt912

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I was looking at getting Chromecast but wasn't sure about it since I travel all the time.  I travel three weeks out of the month.  So I am in a hotel most of the time.  

What do you guys think?  Should I try it or try one of the other devices out there?

#15 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 02 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

I was looking at getting Chromecast but wasn't sure about it since I travel all the time. I travel three weeks out of the month. So I am in a hotel most of the time.

What do you guys think? Should I try it or try one of the other devices out there?

Should be a good purchase... Hell for $35 it's easy enough to buy. Only limitation can think of is your data limit and or the speed of the hotel WiFi.

With Netflix it really should shine.
- J. Michael Straczynski

#16 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

I was looking at getting Chromecast but wasn't sure about it since I travel all the time. I travel three weeks out of the month. So I am in a hotel most of the time.

What do you guys think? Should I try it or try one of the other devices out there?

I would consider it a good purchase. Nowadays, most hotels have HDTVs in the rooms. With Chromecast, you can just hook up to it (if the HDMI input hasn't been "locked") and stream movies or music.

Sent from my Droid MAXX

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#17 useltonm

useltonm

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO
  • Current Device(s):T-Mobile Galaxy Note 3,

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

My understanding is that people have issues using a chromecast with hotel WiFi. Most of the time you have to go to a login page to accept terms and conditions. Can't do that with a chromecast. If there's a wired connection, you could get around that with a travel router.

I haven't heard anything recently about people having issues, but I also have been using mine exclusively at home and haven't had need to research it.

#18 SnydersWeb

SnydersWeb

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

My understanding is that people have issues using a chromecast with hotel WiFi. Most of the time you have to go to a login page to accept terms and conditions. Can't do that with a chromecast. If there's a wired connection, you could get around that with a travel router.

I haven't heard anything recently about people having issues, but I also have been using mine exclusively at home and haven't had need to research it.

Wondering if the hotel setup would interfere there. If the agreement is for any traffic then yeah.. You would need to opt in. But if it allows peer networking then it could work.

I could see where a given hotel would have some reason to block it as it would compete with their own pay per view businesses.
- J. Michael Straczynski

#19 Quietcowboy

Quietcowboy

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):xt912

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:55 AM

Yeah most of the hotels that i use have some sort of login or acceptance you have to do before they allow you access.  

That is the part that I should have mentioned in my first post.   

#20 xKroniK13x

xKroniK13x

• Superuser
  • 284 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA
  • Current Device(s):Moto X 2014 Pure Edition || Motorola DROID RAZR M || Archos G9 101 || Microsoft Surface Pro 2 || Chromecast

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:26 AM

I absolutely love my Chromecast. On top of being able to throw Pandora to it from my phone to listen to music while doing house-work, you can cast many other apps. Also, if you have movies saved on your computer and want to play them, there is a Chrome plugin named "VideoStream" that allows you to cast nearly any file format to your Chromecast with no lag and great quality. It's a great $30 I spent.

Moto X 2014 Pure Edition Unlocked on Pure Rooted 5.1
Motorola Droid Razr M Unlocked on Some ROM
Archos G9 101 Developer Edition on Cyanogenmod 11 4.4.3 Unofficial/Stable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users