• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:23 AM

I will probably be taking advantage of the one day sale Motorola is having on their moto x. $299 for 16gig, $324 for 32 gig & dev edition. I'll be getting the dev edition. I'm not new to moto phones, but this will be my first with an unlockable bootloader. I know if I do unlock it, I won't need safestrap to flash a custom recovery to flash roms, or back up a rom. Will unlocking the bootloader be necessary to root? Mainly (for now, atleast) I just want to be able to delete bloat. I have seen on motor's website they have the restore files available to download to reflash stock if I make a mistake with anything, but wondering if there are any special utilities like there are for the xt912 (Matt's utility program). Also I remember reading where people had problems running the utility through a USB 3.0 port for the xt912 (first razr/maxx), and wondering if there are issues with the moto x as well. The other question I have, is if anyone has issues flashing/resetting their x's using a MacBook, or less hassle sticking with a windows pc (8.1 64bit). I think the windows pc has 2 USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0. Just got the Mac, my first one that I won from a contest, so I'm just getting familiar with it. Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to cover some bases, and trying to find some threads to research and read while I wait. Thanks in advance for anyone's advice and experience

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:16 AM

Root - best done through custom recovery.  If your are buying a Dev, there is no reason not to unlock it and put at least custom recovery on it.  They have the same warranty as a consumer unit.  Besides, you will need the recovery to flash any roms.

Firmware - It is available in a few locations.  Motorola serves it, but currently they do not have 4.4.2 files.  SBF has the current version available.

USB 2.0 vs 3.0 - This is still a running issue.  USB 3.0 is backward compatible, but not for all devices.  Moto's seem to fall in that category.  Things like this are why computers still come with both 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

Mac - SamuriHL's House of Moto is Java based, so as long as you have the required java setup, you would be good to go.  It is not as simplistic as Matt's utility in that it expects that you have some basic idea about what you are doing, so it you use it, be sure to read the thread before proceeding.

• rickw likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply Kaos. I was definitely planning on rooting and custom recovery. Probably will unlock it, just wanted to read up about it, and make sure I was able to understand how to fix any potential disasters if I really screwed anything up Lol. I would guess it's easier to get into trouble with an unlocked bootloader, but as long as I have to proper files, I guess it'd be easier to reflash firmware afterwards? And with an unlocked bootloader, are you able to flash older firmware, then hit updates through ota to get back to latest firmware version. I know with my old Droid x and my razr maxx, you can't flash older versions once taking an update. Definitely planning on reading up on whatever I can find while I wait for my new phone. I've had experience flashing roms, and eliminating lots of bloat on the old Droid x and this phone. Just wondering how different it is with an unlocked phone.
  • rickw likes this

#4 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:33 AM

Thanks for the reply Kaos. I was definitely planning on rooting and custom recovery. Probably will unlock it, just wanted to read up about it, and make sure I was able to understand how to fix any potential disasters if I really screwed anything up Lol. I would guess it's easier to get into trouble with an unlocked bootloader, but as long as I have to proper files, I guess it'd be easier to reflash firmware afterwards? And with an unlocked bootloader, are you able to flash older firmware, then hit updates through ota to get back to latest firmware version. I know with my old Droid x and my razr maxx, you can't flash older versions once taking an update. Definitely planning on reading up on whatever I can find while I wait for my new phone. I've had experience flashing roms, and eliminating lots of bloat on the old Droid x and this phone. Just wondering how different it is with an unlocked phone.

For one thing, it's much easier with the unlocked phone. If you read any of the postings on XDA of what was needed to get root on pre 4.4.2 consumer editions, you'd see what kind of gyrations people were going through and then when 4.4.2 hit, the ability to get root was gone for those phones. I don't know if it's any harder to get into trouble with an unlocked phone, I don't go out of my way to try and experiment with mixing and matching bits and pieces of the OS or flash ROMS for different carriers as I've read about some people doing. I've done a bit of thought experiments concerning flashing the radios for ATT since I think I want to move from VZW to there but I haven't seen where there is an advantage to doing that since the VZW radios appear to cover the same spectrum with the exception of one of the bands used for ATT's version of high speed LTE. The good thing about the VZW model is it is SIM unlocked out of the box so you can supposebly use other carrier SIM cards without any issues. The only less than stellar thing of the X is the on again, off again development of custom ROMS. When I first got mine, there were only a couple of custom ones around, then when 4.4.2 hit, there was a brief spate of development and that appears to have slowed down again. TBH, the stock experience on the X is pretty darn good but I've been an unrecovered flashaholic since I got my first Droid X. I am currently running Eclipse which is by far the most stable one I've run on any phone and I've also installed Franco's kernel which seems to help battery life a bit. You can also use the Xposed/Gravitybox mods on stock to give you a bunch of customizations that you would normally only get from a custom ROM. There are other custom ROMS out there also but since I've used my quota of posting space for a single message, I'll let you discover those for yourself!! Enjoy the new X and let one of us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#5 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:01 AM

Thanks mat. I have read where people had issues after they'very gone to 4.4.2 then tried to root. That's why I opted for the dev edition. I've started reading about the process to unlock the bootloader, and will start downloading the files and drivers needed for that process this evening. I've also started reading about how to root once the bootloader is unlocked. Im guessing there's no methods to flash root/su in custom recovery once unlocked. I'm thinking I'm going to go with twrp for recovery, since that's what safestrap brought to the razr. I also need to find if there's a specific version for the Moto x, and the latest version. Boy, I've got alot of reading to do for the new phone before it gets here. Lol

#6 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

You will use the Moto website for unlocking.  They will have you perform a fastboot unlock oem get_unlock_data.   It will spit a long string of numbers at you.  You will plug those into the Moto website and they will send you a code in return that you will then use to unlock with.

TWRP is my recovery of choice.   That can be found HERE.  

Once you flash recovery, you just flash the supersu.zip file in recovery. You can get the zip file HERE.

• Memnoch73 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#7 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:35 AM

Thanks again kaos! I thought that was something that could be flashed in recovery. I had read about the unlocking process, and think I'm starting to get an understanding of what to do in getting the code in terminal, and copying and pasting into notepad to string the different codes together. I'm definitely not very computer savy, but after reading and rereading several times, I can follow directions pretty well. I've been looking at some of the different posts to see what issues anyone else has had in rooting or keeping root through different updates. I'm guessing those who had issues, or couldn't root on the 4.4.2 update, had non dev versions. I imagine mine will probably come shipped with the most recent version (jjust and assumption). The files you linked to, I guess, won't be an issue for whatever version mine will come with? Sorry for all the questions, just want to be sure and have everything in order ahead of time. Will still continue familiarize myself with everything. :-)

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

I would do any updates that may be available before you unlock, setup or anything.  It will save you some hassles.  The phone will do a factory data reset when you unlock, so you won't want to do anything much other than that anyway.  Root may or may not survive an update, it should always be assumed that it will not as a precaution - HOWEVER- being unlocked, you would have zero to worry about.  If you lose it, just reflash it in recovery again.

If you are on stock at the time of another update, you will need to restore system files to stock (as in unfreeze frozen apps, etc) and reflash stock recovery before taking it OTA.  OR, you can wait until the firmware becomes available and flash it in House of Moto with a save data.  SBF usually has them up within a few days to a week of release.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#9 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thanks again kaos! I guess one final question for now. Being unlocked, and if I lost root after any future updates, I guess going to custom recovery isn't dependent on root then? I guess recovery is still accessible with unlocked bootloader. Thanks for everyone's help!!! I feel more confident than I did, but still planning on soaking up whatever knowledge I can find.

#10 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:39 AM

Being unlocked let's you load a custom recovery. If you are rooted and update you will lose root but there an option in TWRP to restore root.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#11 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:48 AM

Thanks memnoch! Can't wait to get the new phone and start playing with it. Was really interested in the lg g3, but couldn't pass up getting this phone for the discount moto was offering yesterday. My razr maxx has been a great phone, but after 2 + years, the battery seems to die a bit faster than it used to.

#12 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

If you are coming from the Razr Maxx, you definitely won't be disappointed.  Moto's engagement with their X device owner's is quite a pleasant thing.

• rickw likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#13 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

I'm sure it'll be an improvement. Better processor than the razr, and 2 gigs of ram, I'm anticipating better performance than the razr. I've read plenty of people praising the smooth ui of the x, and little if any lag. I'm hoping it'll have better memory management with kit kat, than what the razr shows. I'm glad we had root for the razr through all the updates for it. Completely removing as much bloat as I did for the razr definitely helped it's performance. Can imagine an even better experience coming soon.

#14 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:53 AM

I absolutely love my Dev X. I was using a MDK S4 prior as a replacement for my Bionic. Although the S4 has a few advantages, in all honesty it is a POS when it comes to reliability. Right now it's stuck in a boot loop for no damned reason. It could be a Loki issue or TWRP but I have spent more time Odining it (Sammy equivalent of fastboot) than I have spent on all of my devices combined!
I am running a blur ROM instead of source on my X and am very happy that I made this purchase. I am looking forward to what the new X will bring over this one.
I'm not a Moto fanboy but for me, Moto has proven to be more reliable for me in the past with the Bionic and RAZR..even though they were locked down.

Sent via Blacked out TapaTalk on my Eclipsed Dev X

#15 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:52 AM

Thanks again kaos! I guess one final question for now. Being unlocked, and if I lost root after any future updates, I guess going to custom recovery isn't dependent on root then? I guess recovery is still accessible with unlocked bootloader. Thanks for everyone's help!!! I feel more confident than I did, but still planning on soaking up whatever knowledge I can find.

the unlocked BL makes installing the custom recovery (in most cases TWRP) as close to painless as possible, the only trick to it is to remember to boot into recovery after you finish installing it, otherwise the system will over write it with the standard recovery. And after you boot into TWRP the first time you'll be good to go, I used as an opportunity to make a backup of the "mostly" stock system JIC you need one. Then when you go to exit TWRP it will notice you're not rooted and offer to take care of that for you, all you have to do is say yes!

Posted Image

#16 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:04 AM

Thanks again everyone. I've got the sdk and drivers downloaded on my windows pc last night, along with the supersu file kaos linked to. When I clicked the link for the twrp recovery, the website the link took me to was just showing up as a bunch of symbols. Guess the site is having issues. Also, just as an fyi, kaos said the moto site didn't have the 4.4.2 files available yet. As of last night, they did have it available for to download as a recovery image. I was sent a link this morning to download, and will download directly to my pc when I get home this evening. I don't know if it will violate terms of service for this site to report it here or not, but could provide it to for use if needed. I think the only other thing I might need, if it wasn't included/installed when I unzipped the sdk files last night, is adb. But I think I remember seeing links to that elsewhere on this site, in other threads. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice! Will let everyone know how it goes when I get my phone and get it unlocked and rooted. Should be here by Friday or Saturday. I'll be eager to get it fully charged before the first time I start it up and start playing

#17 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:32 AM

Thanks again everyone. I've got the sdk and drivers downloaded on my windows pc last night, along with the supersu file kaos linked to. When I clicked the link for the twrp recovery, the website the link took me to was just showing up as a bunch of symbols. Guess the site is having issues. Also, just as an fyi, kaos said the moto site didn't have the 4.4.2 files available yet. As of last night, they did have it available for to download as a recovery image. I was sent a link this morning to download, and will download directly to my pc when I get home this evening. I don't know if it will violate terms of service for this site to report it here or not, but could provide it to for use if needed. I think the only other thing I might need, if it wasn't included/installed when I unzipped the sdk files last night, is adb. But I think I remember seeing links to that elsewhere on this site, in other threads. Thanks to everyone for your help and advice! Will let everyone know how it goes when I get my phone and get it unlocked and rooted. Should be here by Friday or Saturday. I'll be eager to get it fully charged before the first time I start it up and start playing

here's a link to the Android SDK with everything you could ever want to know about ADB: http://developer.and.../sdk/index.html. I actually like using ADB to perform the "minor" tasks of rebooting into various portions of the OS and, of course, replacing certain software modules without having to use RSD. And you can always head over to the HoM to pick up Sam's excellent utility for flashing modules.

Posted Image

#18 stewie griffin

stewie griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:56 AM

Thanks mat! Kaos had posted a link further up for twrp recovery, but when I click on it, the page it brings up just shows a whole page of symbols. Is there a good link to use to get the latest twrp for the dev x?

#19 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:57 AM

The link I posted should start to download immediately.

I just checked, works for me.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#20 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Thanks mat! Kaos had posted a link further up for twrp recovery, but when I click on it, the page it brings up just shows a whole page of symbols. Is there a good link to use to get the latest twrp for the dev x?

The link I posted should start to download immediately.

I just checked, works for me.

I just tried the link and got the same thing as Stewie, I think it's because the file is a .img and Windows thinks it's a ISO image to burn a DVD. I tried it with both IE and Chrome on my Win 7 box and got the same result each time. Unfortunately, on my PC I don't even get the option to do a "save as" and when I tried to save the web page as a txt then change it to .zip, IE went crazy! I did find another link on the other web site from Hades that has the file in a zip format and here's the link: http://waynekent.com/page26.html

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users