• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD
  • Current Device(s):LG G2

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

6.22KB   14 downloads

Anyone remember WebOS? Anyone even heard of it? Well as a big fan of the OS, let me fill everyone in.  WebOS was (is?) a Linux based mobile operating system that Palm developed several years ago that made its way onto the Pre and Pixi lines of smartphones, as well as the Touchpad tablet.  The stand out feature of the OS was its "deck of cards" approach to launching, organizing, and closing apps, which made multi-tasking a snap. Then HP bought Palm.  And now Palm is no more, and WebOS was sold to LG, who now uses it as the OS for a line of their smart televisions.  The Android community stepped in to bring ports of Cyanogenmod and AOKP to Touchpad owners, such as yours truly.  But WebOS has not yet been successfully ported to hardware that's meant for Android.  Phoenix International Communications is looking to change that, as they are looking to bring a version of WebOS to Android devices that will open as an app inside of Android.  The project is currently in the pre-alpha stage, as the OS boots up into the launcher, and that's about it, but progress is being made, which should be good news to the whole 6 people who read this that still care about WebOS.  Seriously, it's a great mobile platform that died a very premature death.  Really. Stop laughing.  You can read more about the project

Source: PCWorld, thanks to cmh714 for the tip!

#2 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Cards.  Hmmm.  Sounds very ... Win8ish....

Seriously, I know a lot of people that loved their Palm Pres, but I never did get a chance to play with one....

#3 mjs27541

mjs27541

I have no idea what's going on...

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:21 PM

If there was a better app selection I'd probably be using mine to this day

#4 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

That good, huh?  Hmmm.

#5 mjs27541

mjs27541

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:55 AM

Yep. To me webos was the perfect middle ground between iOS and android. It was open so it could be tweaked and themed and modded, but there was no fragmentation.

#6 Nagaro

Nagaro

Brosicle

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Current Device(s):NEXUS 6P, Moto 360

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

I loved WebOS.  It could have easily played with the big boys (iOS/Android) if HP handled it right.  The OS was functional and absolutely gorgeous.  

You can still get WebOS devices unlocked and for a decent price.  Like the Pre 3 for ~$160.  I have a Pixi + that I got for $50 unsubbed.  

• mjs27541 likes this

73pi4w.png
Temp sig by livininginkaos

#7 mjs27541

mjs27541

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

I've still got my pre kicking around somewhere. And you're right it could've easily held its own, but palm screwed up from the start by making the pre exclusive to sprint. Then HP destroyed what was left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users