Photo

Should Google Invite Lg To Be A Part Of Their Next Nexus?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

Posted Image

I'm sure you all know it is rumored that Google will release multiple Nexus devices, possibly three to five. Should Google let LG in on this?

Given LG's not-so-good reputation of phones, would you buy an LG Nexus? Their new smartphone, the LG Optimus G, is an incredibly powerful, Android powered, smartphone. The specs include...
  • 2GB RAM
  • Quadcore Qualcomm Snapdragon S4
  • 13mp Camera
According to rumors, Google will be releasing multiple Nexus devices, instead of the usual one per year. It would make sense for them to have multiple companies (HTC, Motorola, Samsung), make Nexus devices, so you could go with your favorite company. Although the idea of a Moto Nexus is too good to be true so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Back to LG. The guys over at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, had the brilliant idea that Google should hire LG for a Nexus device, and possibly get a Nexus variant of the LG Optimus G. Think about it. LG has always had awful software (in my opinion) but the hardware was excellent (also in my opinion, for the LG devices I have owned.) Isn't this the same reason we want a Motorola Nexus? Motorola makes amazing hardware with bad(ish) software. Go read the specs of the LG Optimus G, they're amazing. Can you imagine a device powered by those specs, running stock Android 4.1?

Android and Nexus are all about choices, freedom of control of the user. Would releasing multiple Nexus devices by different manufacturers be a good thing? I'd think so.

So the question here is, would YOU buy an LG Nexus, powered by this much... speed?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#2 Guest_BDH_*

Guest_BDH_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Absolutely not. I've had a few LG "smartphones" and would never in my life buy another one. It could be the only smartphone left in the world and I would switch to a feature phone. LG will never get a third chance with me. The Revolution and Spectrum were horrible devices in my opinion.
  • Tbizzy, HouseMD and tdomonte like this

#3 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Welcome to Droid Rzr News, AliceICS. I find this to be an interesting article. Those who are order than 25 might remember that 8-9 years ago, LG was "the phone to have". Especially on VZW. They pioneered the transition between Razrs (true og Razrs) and the Star Tac, Nokia "snake game" phones (if you know what I'm talking about then you owned one or knew someone who did) and borderline "brick" cell phones.

Amazingly so, since the smartphone revolution. LG has very much faded out of the top devices and I honestly don't know why (though I'm sure there's some reason).

Anyone who remembers the VZW LG dominance would without a doubt never discredit an LG Nexus device. Before "The Droid", LG touch, EnV, Chocolate, VX6000, these were THE phones to own. What happened over the last 3-4 years, I honestly don't know.

But, tl;dr, I personally support an LG Nexus device as I am aware of their built quality based on my many years experience with their hardware. When/if it'll ever happen? I guess only time/politics will tell.

Great topic! Welcome to the news dept, Alice.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#4 Aliceics

Aliceics

Graphic Designer | Themer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Twitter:alicerzr
  • Google+:littlemissalice1@gmail.com

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Welcome to Droid Rzr News, AliceICS. I find this to be an interesting article. Those who are order than 25 might remember that 8-9 years ago, LG was "the phone to have". Especially on VZW. They pioneered the transition between Razrs (true og Razrs) and the Star Tac, Nokia "snake game" phones (if you know what I'm talking about then you owned one or knew someone who did) and borderline "brick" cell phones.

Amazingly so, since the smartphone revolution. LG has very much faded out of the top devices and I honestly don't know why (though I'm sure there's some reason).

Anyone who remembers the VZW LG dominance would without a doubt never discredit an LG Nexus device. Before "The Droid", LG touch, EnV, Chocolate, VX6000, these were THE phones to own. What happened over the last 3-4 years, I honestly don't know.

But, tl;dr, I personally support an LG Nexus device as I am aware of their built quality based on my many years experience with their hardware. When/if it'll ever happen? I guess only time/politics will tell.

Thank you :)

#5 subiedude

subiedude

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Twitter:@subiedude85

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

I welcome LG into the realm of nexus devices. I enjoyed my LG Voyager even though it had its share of quirks. They have been lagging in the smart phone game but the nexus program could be what they need to get back on their feet. I also see the possibility of multiple nexus devices driving the price down which I welcome, being that I will be forced too pay full price to keep unlimited data. Thank you for the thought provoking article.

#6 cdavid469

cdavid469

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationFort Campbell

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

I would buy any nexus device as long as the bootloader remains open and it has the best available specs

#7 ThankMeLater

ThankMeLater

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

LG can make good basic phones. When it comes to smartphones, they effin suck. I will never buy another LG smartphone in my life. Had bad experiences with them and so have people I know. We had different phones but all LG smartphones. I don't care for LG anymore. I don't care about their specs. They can have a 20MP camera and 6 Core Processor and I still wouldn't mess with them.

That would be awesome if we really did get multiple google devices on different brands.

Check out Flossycarter & QBKING77 @ Youtube.com

#8 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

I would buy one. I'm tired of Motorola. I had less problems with my LG phones than with Motorola.

#9 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Isn't already (kinda) confirmed that one of the next Nexii wil be from LG?

Interesting considering LG's attrocious record with updates.

:-D :-D

#10 dautley

dautley

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTN.
  • Current Device(s):HTC One (M8) , Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 10

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

The more choices the better! My first Android was a Ally, that thing got bounce off asphalt and kept on ticking. It's still my "super emergency backup in reserve" phone.

#11 Brad92

Brad92

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

The more choices the better! My first Android was a Ally, that thing got bounce off asphalt and kept on ticking. It's still my "super emergency backup in reserve" phone.

My mom's Ally was indestructible. It was abused and even survived after a swim in a toilet and lasted a year after that...

#12 srzero

srzero

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationArlington

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

LG made solid phones, I had the Red Chocolate and beat that thing to hell. Sadly it died in a hot truck during the summer, fried chocolate anyone? And yes i do remember the brick phones and playing snake on them. But LG phones do seem to have faded into background,while the company themselves focus on home appliances more than anything. Who knows, this could be their comeback phone like Motorola reviving the Razr name with the xt912. However, the phone pictured above has round corners so they better not produce that one :P .
Make It Your Own

#13 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:22 AM

absolutely not...will never buy another LG mobile device ever again! I had a few LG phones lowest build quality of any cell phone i ever had.

#14 bogginblazer

bogginblazer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

with lg's rep for being a pos i dont thnk any amount of good spec matter. if it will not last me the year and a half till i can up grade what the point. i mean were not buying 30 dollar phones any more. were paying good money i want some thing good for it.

#15 tdomonte

tdomonte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

I had the LG chocolate, it made me want to kill myself and it broke early on in the 2 year contract. I had an LG Dare, it made me want to kill myself. I tossed it in the garbage. I had an LG voyager 2, made me want to kill myself, but the keyboard was nice. Then I got an HTC incredible and it was incredibly better then any LG phone I every touched or owned. Right down the build quality. Now whenever I think of LG I think GENERIC n CHEAP.

edit: Forgot to mention about my LG versa... Made me want to kill myself.
  • DarkOverDroid likes this

#16 Tbizzy

Tbizzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

Isn't already (kinda) confirmed that one of the next Nexii wil be from LG?

Interesting considering LG's attrocious record with updates.

I sure hope not... All the LG phones I've had in the past (along with LG phones that family members have owned) have failed miserably. Never again. I'm hoping to see a Motorola nexus in my future. But who knows, with all of Verizons locked bootloaders BS, whats the point?

#17 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Lg makes halfway decent entry level smartphones, like the lucid, but they always fall flat on their face when entering the mid to high end market. (see: spectrum and intuition, respectively.)

Personally, i will never buy another lg device after what my fiance went through with her spectrum. Ill wait until their reputation proves otherwise.

But i do agree with the op that they make phones with a lot of potential, but it seems as though something gets buggered up during the development process.

#18 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:06 AM

I had the LG chocolate, it made me want to kill myself and it broke early on in the 2 year contract. I had an LG Dare, it made me want to kill myself. I tossed it in the garbage. I had an LG voyager 2, made me want to kill myself, but the keyboard was nice. Then I got an HTC incredible and it was incredibly better then any LG phone I every touched or owned. Right down the build quality. Now whenever I think of LG I think GENERIC n CHEAP.

edit: Forgot to mention about my LG versa... Made me want to kill myself.

Lol, Ever wanted to kill yourself ;). Jkjk
Posted Image

#19 HouseMD

HouseMD

Vicodin Addict

• Superuser
  • 294 posts
  • Twitter:DSLRVideoGuy
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

I would go back to the ORIGINAL Flip Phone Razr before I got an LG Smartphone. I've had 3 LG's in my lifetime and none of them ever functioned properly. The only thing I've seen LG do decent on is their TV's. 120hz refresh rate and 1080p FTW :)

Posted Image

If you feel the need to buy me a beer, or help pay my bills, here's the link:http://bit.ly/O4ZnLW

#20 GoBears

GoBears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Same here House. I love my LG lcd tv but for a smartphone no way. LG makes beautiful screens but lousy phones imo.
"Remember, friends don't let friends use IOS."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users