onecoolfirefighter

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationN. Carolina
  • Current Device(s):Razr

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

Has anyone yet figured out how to root Droid Razr HD after the OTA update to KK 4.4? I had root on mine before the update, but the update wouldn't install. Reloaded the entire phone with RSD Lite, downloaded the update and installed with no problems. Now I can't find anything about rooting after the update..... Which really sucks since i'm using a rooted program to back up my files.

Any help would be appreciated!

• sedamo likes this

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:38 PM

Has anyone yet figured out how to root Droid Razr HD after the OTA update to KK 4.4? I had root on mine before the update, but the update wouldn't install. Reloaded the entire phone with RSD Lite, downloaded the update and installed with no problems. Now I can't find anything about rooting after the update..... Which really sucks since i'm using a rooted program to back up my files.

Any help would be appreciated!

There is no root for 4.4.2 - unless you are on an unlocked bootloader.

• johnthehillbilly likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

There is no root for locked devices as of right now

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#4 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,459 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Reposted from another forum so I don't have to keep retyping this every time this question gets asked...

Well, since it's an 18 month old phone, there's going to be zero effort put into rooting this build. But if there was going to be an effort, here's what you're up against. They'll need something like IDA Pro to rip apart the brand new kernel to find some kind of privilege escalation bug. This is a time consuming, laborious process for those that even know how to do it (I'm not one of them). Assuming they find some kind of priv escalation hole, they then need to write code to exploit it. Finding a bug != exploiting it. Now consider that the S5 has been out for several weeks now, has a 12k+ bounty for root, and still remains to this day unrooted. So, you tell me...how long is that going to take for an 18 month old phone with no one looking at and no 12k bounty?

This is why I put the warning at the top of the How To threads that root will be lost.  It wasn't a hypothetical maybe...it was a YOU WILL LOSE root.

• stewie griffin, ibolski, rickw and 3 others like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:11 PM

Losing root with an OTA should ALWAYS be assumed.  If it is important, then you should do your research prior to installing to see if maybe it will make it through, or if there is a method that works after.

• stewie griffin, ibolski and rickw like this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:00 PM

Like with the 12k bounty, I'm no expert but it seems we're hopefully going to be the benefactors of someone getting root on KitKat period. Similar to the bed of roses we fell into with the 9.30 being unrootable until someone found how to do it on a Samsung, and fortunately it worked for us.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#7 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,459 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

You don't seem to get how rare that is. That was a flaw in the Linux kernel code upon which Android exists. A flaw does exist in the Linux kernel source used in 4.4.2 but so far there's been no success in exploiting it in any phone much less multiple. And if by some miracle they get it working for the s5 it's definitely no guarantee it'll work on these devices.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• lifeasadroid likes this

#8 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:32 PM

Oh I get it, I'm just a glass half full kind of guy. I remember when I got my xt926 safe strap was all the rage "because unless you have a dev edition unlocking the bootloader was out of the question" by the naysayers. And my 926 bootloader was unlocked until I bricked it. Luckily I have a backup 907. Trust me I work in the tech field so I know how rare these exploits are. But I also know they happen. Just a few days ago it was a 926 fxz was at least weeks away and what do I see today. I'm far from guaranteeing unlocking or root is inevitable but for every brilliant mind out there, a newer, more brilliant mind lurks on the horizon. You know what I'm saying? Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

#9 sedamo

sedamo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX hd

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:45 AM

I agree with jtommyj. You have to hope that either someone takes on the challenge for the sake of the challenge or that a broader exploit applied to 4.4.2 in general works on the XT926.

Though the phone was introduced more than 1.5 years ago, Motorola kept advertising and pushing out the XT926 like a flagship phone up until about six months ago -- so it's still relatively new to many. I purchased mine in October 2012. I consider it to be such a great phone, I've kept it longer than any phone I've ever had. Rooted or unrooted, it's a great piece of hardware (though, of course, I prefer it rooted for the added flexibility it provides).

I wouldn't bet against a root procedure that works for the XT926 coming out within the next 30 days or so. Regardless, a man can hope.

#10 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,459 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:53 AM

When 9.30.1 came out there was zero interest from those that find root exploits in looking at these phones. You got lucky that a general Linux kernel exploit happened to work on a whole host of phones and that someone bothered to try it for fun. 30 days? The s5 with a 12 thousand dollar bounty remains unrooted to this day. And that's with brilliant minds actively working on it. Every version of Android that Google unleashes tightens up the security. Go read what Chainfire had to say about getting supersu to work at all on 4.4.3. That's not even discussing trying to find an exploit to first get it on the phone. The only way this is going to get rooted is if you get lucky and a multi phone exploit is found for 4.4.2. There is a Linux kernel bug that may foot the bill but no one has had any luck in getting it to work on Android. Clearly that effort is being done for the s5. Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
  • ibolski and lifeasadroid like this

#11 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:09 AM

Indeed Sam ....... I think (the collective) WE, have been saying this since the OG RAZR was still on GB ..... And now, here it is..... For the most part, root is only achieved on developer or otherwise unlocked devices......

Next thing you know ..... The entire source code will be no longer free and open source...... Just like Apple and Windows ........ :/

jhf.png

#12 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

I agree with jtommyj. You have to hope that either someone takes on the challenge for the sake of the challenge or that a broader exploit applied to 4.4.2 in general works on the XT926.
Regardless, a man can hope.

And nothing wrong with hoping, but again, as SamuriHL stated, don't hold your breath. Also, even you state that you have to hope that someone takes on the challenge or that a broader exploit works.

As SamuriHL has stated, the S5 currently has a 12K bounty and still now way to use the exploit in the kernel to gain root access.

As much as you hate not having root, it does serve a purpose - security. It's the same with the dreaded fruit phone as well. However, I would rather have the option to get root if I choose, rather than having to get an exploit to do it. Luckily, my XT926 was unlockable so I don't have to worry about it, but when I go to my next phone, it's either going to be dev edition of a phone or a Nexus.
  • lifeasadroid likes this

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#13 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,459 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:32 AM

Dan R, Matt, myself, and many others have been stating for 2 years + now that if you care about root, get an unlockable phone.  It's the only way to guarantee it.

• ibolski, rickw, johnlgalt and 2 others like this

#14 lifeasadroid

lifeasadroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:14 AM

When 9.30.1 came out there was zero interest from those that find root exploits in looking at these phones. You got lucky that a general Linux kernel exploit happened to work on a whole host of phones and that someone bothered to try it for fun. 30 days? The s5 with a 12 thousand dollar bounty remains unrooted to this day. And that's with brilliant minds actively working on it. Every version of Android that Google unleashes tightens up the security. Go read what Chainfire had to say about getting supersu to work at all on 4.4.3. That's not even discussing trying to find an exploit to first get it on the phone. The only way this is going to get rooted is if you get lucky and a multi phone exploit is found for 4.4.2. There is a Linux kernel bug that may foot the bill but no one has had any luck in getting it to work on Android. Clearly that effort is being done for the s5. Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

It's like talking to a brick wall bro.  Gotta just let the dreamers dream (and exit threads where "when is root coming to XT926s" comes up, lol).

#15 lifeasadroid

lifeasadroid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

And nothing wrong with hoping, but again, as SamuriHL stated, don't hold your breath. Also, even you state that you have to hope that someone takes on the challenge or that a broader exploit works.

As SamuriHL has stated, the S5 currently has a 12K bounty and still now way to use the exploit in the kernel to gain root access.

As much as you hate not having root, is does serve a purpose - security. It's the same with the dreaded fruit phone as well. However, I would rather have the option to get root if I choose, rather than having to get an exploit to do it. Luckily, my XT926 was unlockable so I don't have to worry about it, but when I go to my next phone, it's either going to be dev edition of a phone or a Nexus.

What's up bro, see my post to SamuriHL above  8)  I'm at the point with the "where's root" posts where my response is "shoo, go away" lol.

• ibolski likes this

#16 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

That's exactly right, let us dreamers dream. But from the tone of some of these posts it almost sounds like few people around here don't want us to get root out of spite so " see we told you so" makes them right. I stand by my original post. Probably won't happen but a few seem to take particular joy in jumping into every "I hope we get root" post and piss*** on someone's parade. We get the point. Theres a 12 grand bounty unclaimed but if we want to hope and dream is it hurting anyone to let us ? Just ignore it then. Thanks, Tom Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

#17 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

And PS.. My next phone will be a developer edition lol. If they still have them then. And if no one any longer has interest in finding root for this phone so be it. We live without it. No biggie. I knew that when I got the phone. I can live with it. Its not an us against them from my standpoint. Maybe some 14 year old gets a hand me down from Dad and does take an interest. My point all along is there is no guarantee one way or another. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

#18 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

And PS.. My next phone will be a developer edition lol. If they still have them then. And if no one any longer has interest in finding root for this phone so be it. We live without it. No biggie. I knew that when I got the phone. I can live with it. Its not an us against them from my standpoint. Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

No, it's not that at all. But, it's amazing how many people post about this when since 9.30.1, root was pretty much gone except for the chance discovery of using Saferoot for another phone. We would love for everyone to have unlocked bootloaders because afer this last update, it's been a b*tch with all the people bricking their phones left and right who have locked bootloaders. Those of us with unlocked bootloaders at least had a way to get back to a working phone.

Root is something we wish all could obtain, but in the end, as each upgrade comes out for Android, more and more exploits are patched and removed, as it should be. 

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#19 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

Speaking of "tone"...... Its getting to loud in here.... Lol....

Seriously tho ..... Before this "debate" gets out of hand (believe it or not, it can happen quickly) .... Please everyone take a breath .... Slow down .... And relax....:)

Thanx...... :)
  • rickw likes this

jhf.png

#20 jtommyj

jtommyj

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

I'm cool. Really there is no debate in my eyes. It either happens or it doesn't. I have a few more months on upgrade and if I decide not having root and ul bl is that big a deal for me I'll move to something that does. And I don't really think the security argument holds water or there would be no Dev Ed phones. Its just a way to wrangle an extra 600 bucks out of our pockets IMHO. later guys Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users