Photo

I Want To Do A 7" Tablet Car Stereo, Any Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

This is something i have been looking at doing. The biggest obstacle is I want mine to operate with a backup camera on my truck. The "No Video" in is the hangup with tablets. IP cameras are an option but getting them to fire up when going into reverse is another obstacle and can take from several seconds to a minute to activate. If I can get this part figured out, then I will go on with my project.

I will say I am going to go about this a little differently than others. I will be leaving my stock stereo in my Dodge Ram 1500. I have Sirius service on it. I will be using the auxiliary in plug to connect to my headphone jack. A friend of mine is going to make a custom mount for me so I can remove tablet when I leave the vehicle.

Please let me know if you come up with a good way to add the backup camera functionality. I was planning on using a Nexus 7 for the project.

#22 acslam

acslam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:45 AM

I should probably point out two things i forgot to mention about the appradio.....

First, it has backup camera functionality.

Second, amazon actually is selling them refurbished for 300 bucks, and theres some kind of offer where you get a 30 dollar credit for getting one of their credit cards..... net total cost of the unit becomes 270.

On the idea of the tablet doing backup cam....

What about maybe one of those rearview mirrors that has a screen in it juat for backup cam purposes?

#23 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

On the idea of the tablet doing backup cam....

What about maybe one of those rearview mirrors that has a screen in it juat for backup cam purposes?

The only problem with me changing mirrors is, mine has an auto dimmer built in from the factory. I really like the feature but I have not ruled it out.

#24 sparky697

sparky697

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Twitter:sparky697

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

I've not been into car audio for a while but if I remember correctly you might want to make sure whatever amp you get will take a high level input. The aux jack is a different level than the RCA outs on the back of a car stereo. Pretty sure I used a preamp to drop the level but that was years ago and all that might have changed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#25 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

I'm seeing some clip on mirrors after searching a bit. This might be the ticket for me. Now to find out what is decent and what is junk.

#26 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

I've not been into car audio for a while but if I remember correctly you might want to make sure whatever amp you get will take a high level input. The aux jack is a different level than the RCA outs on the back of a car stereo. Pretty sure I used a preamp to drop the level but that was years ago and all that might have changed.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

From what I've been told by a "guy on an audio site" when I asked about this very thing is that headphone jacks are not high level. The high level input on amps are for already amplified sources. The tiny bit of amplification that headphones get are OK for RCA inputs.

I'm still waiting on my small amp, should be in the mail today or tomorrow and I am going to "dry fit" everything hooking it all up in the car without mounting anything to see how it sounds/behaves. Going to shoot some pics and maybe a little video for youtube.

If all goes well I have to convince myself that I want to go all out, balls to the wall, and go a custom fiberglass dash for it in the dash opening. I still dont know about that, it sort of "just fits" already with very little modification.... still up in the air about that.

#27 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

I'm seeing some clip on mirrors after searching a bit. This might be the ticket for me. Now to find out what is decent and what is junk.

I would be interrested in this as well, I really wanted backup camera in this whole design but it isn't going to happen on the tablet. I'm not sure how much good it would do me to have a backup camera in the mirror as I'm old and have old eyes, and anything that small is going to be useless for me. heh (the nexus 7 is kinda small for me)

#28 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Here's an idea for the backup camera:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

They offer a windshield mount & an Android app. You'll have to figure out how to activate it when you put your vehicle in reverse. (Tasker would prolly be useful for this somehow)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#29 fdcschultz

fdcschultz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

I've been wanting to do this for a while now too. I would look at mp3car website as they have a whole section dedicated to tablet installs and custom making dash bezels. I am still debating what device to use. I have an N7 and a RAZR Maxx. I have also considered perhaps a Samsung galaxy player. They come in 3, 4 and 5 in models(they are like the same size Samsung phones but no mobile radios). The N7 has built in GPS and I can tether my phone for data. It also has NFC which made my think about putting an NFC chip towards the opening of a custom made bezel. The chip would toggle a tasker "car mode" profile that could be set up however you wanted them as soon as you pull it back out the chip would toggle it to regular mode. For this situation I would only probably need audio since I take it with me I can charge it at home. I don't drive so far too need recharging in the car. Problems with this setup...I only have a single din stereo space so it would require some permanent custom work. I am not planning on keeping the car so I don't want to lose the stock stereo just yet. That led me too my other ideas. My phone has data music and everything I need plus hdmi out (only if I lose cm10) :( I could incorporate a regular dock built into a custom snap on bezel that I could attach over the stock stereo. The dock could be wired for power and maybe better sound through hdmi? Or maybe just hack some headphone wires into the stock stereo. I think I might try the phone route because it would be the least invasive and wouldn't have to set up tethering or other things every time. Just my thoughts so far. The galaxy players could be got used cheaper than a new stereo so could be permanently installed and go with the car if needed when I sell it or give it to my kid. Good luck and let us know how you finally do set it up

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

#30 acslam

acslam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

Schultz -

Check this out. Another idea along the lines of what we've been discussing in here, and a cool concept. I decided against it and for the appradio based mostly on cost and functionality, but I think this idea has some serious merit as well:

This unit is double din, and i know you said you've got a single din slot........ what sort of car?

I'm not sure but I MIGHT have read somewhere that they intend to produce a single din version of this in the future, but.....

Some cars have a harder time becoming double din than others. I'm lucky in that my car had plenty of space to carve out a double din slot.....

#31 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

My wife's car has a factory navigation unit. When I get into the car it synch's up with my phone so i can make and receive calls using the car. Is there a way to accomplish this with a tablet?

#32 fdcschultz

fdcschultz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Acslam,

That does look like something useful only out of my price range. I only paid 800 for the car :D. But that is pretty much my idea. Only they have made it way better for all the extra stuff people want. Maybe if I left a hole in the back of my dock I could still use the radio if I forget my phone or let someone borrow the car.

As far as a tablet being able to take phone calls. I'm pretty sure with Google voice and talkatone there would be a way to easily forward calls to the tablet if it has network connection. I love these ideas! Keep them up.

Edit: also look at tablet talk

Sent from my Nexus 7
Edited with my CM10 RAZR Blade

#33 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

Here is my Dry fit. sorry for the crappy pic. I just cant seem to take a stedy picture anymore. :( Working. Just need to mount it in the hole now.

Posted Image

#34 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

Just a quick note on one of the components. I bought the "premium" two male RCA into 1 female RCA splitters that you see in the above pic from monoprice. The cables on them are ridiculously thick to the point of being almost unbendable. (you see them poking straight out without even being supported by anything) The actual RCA connectors are big too, almost too big to fit next to each other in the ports on the amp (they are pressing each other apart a little). I'm going to have to order the "non-premium" version so they are a little more flexible. Otherwise everything seems to work perfectly. The little amp sounds great through the stock speakers. I hope it lasts as it was just a little cheap thing.

Now the hard part begins, mounting it to the dash. The tablet is almost perfectly the same size as the opening, which is actually making it a little difficult as the headphone and power jacks are on what will be the left side when it is mounted landscape in the whole. I need to figure a way to route them through the side of the console without being visibly a hack job.

#35 fdcschultz

fdcschultz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

Can't wait to see the final product. I want to try to hook into my factory stereo somehow setup I don't need an amp. I've seen that some can be hard wired into the tape adapter audio in directly so that it's what I'm looking at.

#36 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

Can't wait to see the final product. I want to try to hook into my factory stereo somehow setup I don't need an amp. I've seen that some can be hard wired into the tape adapter audio in directly so that it's what I'm looking at.

If you're just wanting to tie your tablet into your existing stereo I would use a Bluetooth connection.

#37 fdcschultz

fdcschultz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

I wish Bluetooth was an option. Unfortunately the stock 94 radio does not have such capabilities. I swapped the locations of my hvac controls and stereo today. The new stereo location needs a little work to let the radio suit all the way back in the space. Looks like some cutting of the vent pipes right next to the space. Maybe I'll get some pictures up later.

#38 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Bluetooth can be an option:

Also, you could replace your factory head unit with a good used one with bluetooth capabilities for probably the same amount or less.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#39 fdcschultz

fdcschultz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

That is interesting. I'm not sure I like the fm transmitters as I've used several before and the reception is sometimes finicky. If may be worth it to look at a cheap deck with the direct in option instead. I'm just trying to do this as cheap as possible. Thanks for the ideas.

Sent from my Nexus 7

#40 acslam

acslam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

straight up - fm transmitters and cassette adapters, and depending on the situation, bluetooth, can be the absolute worst thing you can do to your sound. if you are going to the point of altering things this much, it would be a waste to go through such a low quality link. id look at either an inexpensive deck with a line in or one with bluetooth and id test the bluetooth thoroughly before concluding its worth going for. you can add fancy amps and speakers later on, but even a 50 dollar "dual" deck from walmart with a line in would be a worthy investment for sound quality at this stage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users