Photo

I Want To Do A 7" Tablet Car Stereo, Any Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 acslam

acslam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

hm..... 94 my car.....swapped radio and hvac controls..... i havent read the whole thread in a bit but....youre not putting this into a caprice are you??

#42 fdcschultz

fdcschultz

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

No not a caprice. Mercury grand marquis. The swap of positions was actually really easy. I'm still undecided what to do for connection to tablet or phone and such but the actual modifications will be very minimal when finished.

Sent from my Nexus 7

#43 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

OK.. quick update on the tablet install. I've got everything ready for the install but have run into a small problem. My wife came up with the idea of putting small magnets in the "tray" I'm using and some metal strips on the back of the Nexus 7's case to hold the tablet into the dash so that its not permanently affixed and I can remove it when I want to use it or when parking in a "shady" area.

I thought, uh hell no am I going to get close to a computer with magnets... but then I thought well, that's probably my old school mechanical hard drive days coming through. I don't think there really should be any reason you couldn't. So I permanently affixed 4 magnets (one on each corner) to the tray and put my nexus 7 on it to see if it works.

Bizarrily, it made the sound it makes when you press the power button to put it to sleep and then went to sleep. I pull it away from the magnets and press the power button and it wakes up and I slide to unlock. So after playing with it, if I get a magnet close to the lower left hand side of the tablet it, it goes to sleep. I can pull it away quick enough and it will come right back on.

Strange.

Anyway, I guess theres something in that corner thats metal or magnetic that puts it to sleep for some reason. Easy fix would be to move the magnet, but when I say I permanently affixed magnets, well, it aint coming off easy. So I'm going to have to dremil it out.

Long story long, I thought it was going to be done tonight, but its not, heh. Soon tho. and I think it looks and sounds great. Will do a YouTube video of the install if anyone is interested.

#44 Oaklands

Oaklands

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Honestly, I would keep a magnet away from it. There are still a lot of components with metal including your memory in there. Magnets and computers just don't mix.

#45 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Yah, I know it sounds lame, but I think I will cut those out and just use velcro or something. Theres some pretty high strength and fast holding velcro out there. heh Now, to cut out those magnets.. *groan*

#46 The_Chupacabra

The_Chupacabra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawton OK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Maybe there is a case that works with magnets similar to the iPad that when you close it, the magnet sends a signal to put it to sleep. I wouldn't know why you couldn't use magnet if the iPad can do it with their smart covers and the surface tablet uses magnets to snap the keyboard on.

#47 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

These aren't powerful magnets like neodynium (or however that is spelled) but they are strong enough. Stronger than I would say your typical refrigerator magnet would be. But not like super strong. *shrug*

Maybe I wil try the magnets and try and cut out that one corner, since theres basically no turning back without buying another double din kit for my car, heh. (thanks a lot Epoxy!!) lol

PS> Epoxy worked a hell of a lot better than I thought it would bonding those magnets to the plastic double din kit for my car.

#48 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

The nexus 7 does have a magnetometer for smart covers, see link:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#49 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Nice! Now how do I turn that "feature" off. hehe

#50 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Nice! Now how do I turn that "feature" off. hehe

You could start by looking through your system apps to see if there is any type of app that would control the magnetometer. If that does not exist, try looking any files that reference the magnetometer (possibly in build.prop) & see if it's possible to change the properties of that file (maybe change a 1 to a 0 to turn the feature off). These are just some ideas for where to start.

#51 mrredpants

mrredpants

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Twitter:@misterredpants

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

I installed aftermarket Bluetooth by scoche. Have used that forever to listen to anything my bionic. I use navigation dock which powers phone.

I don't know that you'll gain that much of anything by streaming from a tablet vs a phone.

If you really wanted that... You'd tether to that phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
DROID BIONIC ice'd with some variant of 232 leak

#52 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

You could start by looking through your system apps to see if there is any type of app that would control the magnetometer. If that does not exist, try looking any files that reference the magnetometer (possibly in build.prop) & see if it's possible to change the properties of that file (maybe change a 1 to a 0 to turn the feature off). These are just some ideas for where to start.

I hastely "removed" the magnet from that corner of my double din tray last night, completely shattering the magnet in the process so unless I want to go buy another one and replace it there, I'm good to go without having to worry about it. Because the three other corners all have a magnet I'm hopeing that it will stay in place. Or I will put another one in the middle somewhere where it doesnt trigger the "sleep".

EDIT: Replaced "battery" with "Magnet" sheesh... whats wrong with my brain. heh

Edited by Shinare, 09 November 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#53 2THEXTRM

2THEXTRM

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Twitter:2THEXTRM
  • LocationCentral NY

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

Interesting thread, following. I use Velcro for all my quick detach needs, it's cheap, fairly easy to remove from most materials if needed and NASA uses it!

Moto, Give me what I want, and I'll go away...

#54 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

I hate the way i sound, so there isn't much talking. But there it is. Heh. Im really happy with it. Secured it with 4 neodymium magnets in the dash and metal strips epoxyed to the back. Still very usable as a tablet (still comfortable to hold) and easy to take out to keep safe or use elsewhere.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

#55 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

Pretty sweet.

#56 sparky697

sparky697

Droid Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Twitter:sparky697

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:05 AM

Nice job man.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#57 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Here's an app that could be useful with this setup:

#58 phatdaddyz01

phatdaddyz01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Also, what epoxy did you use to attach everything?

#59 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I've updated the description in the video to include all the stuff I used as well as some useful apps to get everything working the way I wanted.

#60 Shinare

Shinare

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Also, what epoxy did you use to attach everything?

Just the regular 5 minute epoxy from Walmart.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users