16 replies to this topic

#1 Burbank

Burbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:29 AM

I just brought my RAZR up to .173 stock, rooted. Before I install Nitro's new Eclipse RAZR base build, I need to decide:

1. Install Safestrap and then install Eclipse RAZR on the safe side?
2. Install Clockwork Recovery and then install Eclipse RAZR?

I like Safestrap a lot. But as far as I can tell, Safestrap's presence somehow prevents OTA updates from working properly. The only way I could get to .173 was to use RSD lite 5.6 to get to factory .744, then .748 OTA, then protect root, then .173, then restore root.

So... is Safestrap still the way to go?

#2 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:04 AM

For me it is. Although i didnt have that problem. I just restored my stock 744 rooted backup, uninstalled safestrap then voodoo ota rootkeeper, 748 ota, restore root, use voodoo again and then flash 173, restore root, re-install safestrap, and all was well in the world of shizumie. As for eclipse and cwm or safestrap, i still say safestrap. Eclipse isnt complete yet and still suffers a few fc so its nice to be able to toggle back to non safe if you need to. Jmho. Me i would go the safe way. And get ready for eclipse! It is great!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Posted Image

#3 Burbank

Burbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

For me it is. Although i didnt have that problem. I just restored my stock 744 rooted backup, uninstalled safestrap then voodoo ota rootkeeper, 748 ota, restore root, use voodoo again and then flash 173, restore root, re-install safestrap, and all was well in the world of shizumie. As for eclipse and cwm or safestrap, i still say safestrap. Eclipse isnt complete yet and still suffers a few fc so its nice to be able to toggle back to non safe if you need to. Jmho. Me i would go the safe way. And get ready for eclipse! It is great!

Thanks! I appreciate the reply. Safestrap it is.

#4 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

Not a prob.. hope it works out for ya! And let us know how you like eclipse!

Posted Image

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I just brought my RAZR up to .173 stock, rooted. Before I install Nitro's new Eclipse RAZR base build, I need to decide:

1. Install Safestrap and then install Eclipse RAZR on the safe side?
2. Install Clockwork Recovery and then install Eclipse RAZR?

I like Safestrap a lot. But as far as I can tell, Safestrap's presence somehow prevents OTA updates from working properly. The only way I could get to .173 was to use RSD lite 5.6 to get to factory .744, then .748 OTA, then protect root, then .173, then restore root.

So... is Safestrap still the way to go?

The reason SafeStrap stops OTA's is because it installs the safe-system into the /preinstall/ folder of the non-safe which the update checks to see if you have legit software. By removing recovery via Safestrap app and replacing your preinstall folder with one from the stock version of that update you can OTA again. I have made these 2 preinstall folders for use:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

(Provided by mattlgroff. Use these to upgrade from 6.11.748 to 6.12.173 or update to another update/OTA not yet known at this time by replacing preinstall folder to fix Status 7 errors).

(Provided by mattlgroff. Use these to downgrade to 6.11.748 or to update to another update/OTA not yet known at this time by replacing preinstall folder to fix Status 7 errors).

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#6 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Here is the whole thing in a nutshell. In reality safestrap was developed, by @Hashcode, for the purpose of testing unstable alpha roms, and for Dev's to be able to boot to the ROM and test things, without hurting the safe side. So really this was not ment for the basic user. Here is three bottom line, If you are not testing for a Dev. Then there is no reason to use it. The tool that it's used 98% of the time, is BOOTSTRAP aka CWR aka clockwork recovery. Since we have a locked bootloader, we use bootstrap as a workaround to get us access to CWR, to flash things. The only reason why we released safestrap to the forums , was to provide a safe way to flash things, and to prevent ppl, from bricking there phone. Now that we have full fastboot files and RSD Lite, we don't have to worry about bricking are phones. So if a ROM,theme or mod comes up that says just flash, that means, flash in CWR.
I hope this clears up any confusion that anyone has, or helps you with any decision you are making.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  • Aixelsyd and Burbank like this

#7 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Here is the whole thing in a nutshell. In reality safestrap was developed, by @Hashcode, for the purpose of testing unstable alpha roms, and for Dev's to be able to boot to the ROM and test things, without hurting the safe side. So really this was not ment for the basic user. Here is three bottom line, If you are not testing for a Dev. Then there is no reason to use it. The tool that it's used 98% of the time, is BOOTSTRAP aka CWR aka clockwork recovery. Since we have a locked bootloader, we use bootstrap as a workaround to get us access to CWR, to flash things. The only reason why we released safestrap to the forums , was to provide a safe way to flash things, and to prevent ppl, from bricking there phone. Now that we have full fastboot files and RSD Lite, we don't have to worry about bricking are phones. So if a ROM,theme or mod comes up that says just flash, that means, flash in CWR.
I hope this clears up any confusion that anyone has, or helps you with any decision you are making.

+1 I really hope this helps people out, I know it has for me. I came from the OG Droid so I never had to deal with these new terms and such. It almost feels like a whole different world compared to being with the OG Droid. Seems like a lot of razr owners are kind of in the same boat. Sharing knowledge like this is great in educating those of us that are still learning these new steps and terms. Thanks for the lesson, I have learned more in the short I have been on this site than the whole time I had my OG Droid and I am very thankful for that.

Sent from my rooted RAZR. If its not rooted, its not right! Droidrzr.com

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#8 dandude23

dandude23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Seems like a lot of razr owners are kind of in the same boat. Sharing knowledge like this is great in educating those of us that are still learning these new steps and terms. Thanks for the lesson, I have learned more in the short I have been on this site than the whole time I had my OG Droid and I am very thankful for that.

Droidrzr.com

Thats me

#9 Greengoo

Greengoo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

I installed ic3 and after messing around with it for a while. I am trying to get back to the original droid rom. I tried the fastboot and it says the device is locked. I used the bootloader and have an operating system that is not starting up and I cannot get back to clockwork recovery I get the bootmode screen whenever I hold all the buttons down so If I can unlock the bootloader I can use fastboot although Im not sure how.

#10 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

I installed ic3 and after messing around with it for a while. I am trying to get back to the original droid rom. I tried the fastboot and it says the device is locked. I used the bootloader and have an operating system that is not starting up and I cannot get back to clockwork recovery I get the bootmode screen whenever I hold all the buttons down so If I can unlock the bootloader I can use fastboot although Im not sure how.

You don't need to unlock the bootloader to use fastboot files. There's a guide on how to wipe/restore your phone from the state you're in found

• Greengoo likes this

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#11 Greengoo

Greengoo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

You don't need to unlock the bootloader to use fastboot files. There's a guide on how to wipe/restore your phone from the state you're in found

That helped me out although after installing the original rom back on the device. I am now stuck in a continues loop droid startup loop. It continues in this loop continuusously and now ive lost the functionality of using clockwork recovery
When I hold all the buttons down it restarts the phone and does it over again

#12 Burbank

Burbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Not a prob.. hope it works out for ya! And let us know how you like eclipse!

I'm liking eclipse a lot. Using the newer v0.1 build. It's fast and clean. It's still a work in progress but I'm sold. (If anyone cares, I'm getting 2500+ in Quadrant)

#13 Burbank

Burbank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Here is the whole thing in a nutshell. In reality safestrap was developed, by @Hashcode, for the purpose of testing unstable alpha roms, and for Dev's to be able to boot to the ROM and test things, without hurting the safe side. So really this was not ment for the basic user. Here is three bottom line, If you are not testing for a Dev. Then there is no reason to use it...

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. It all makes total sense and I'll likely go back to CWR the next time I have to wipe my RAZR.

#14 pm1066

pm1066

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

What is the latest version of CWR? Is it still 5.0.2.5?

#15 knights665

knights665

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Twitter:nicckl66

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

What is the latest version of CWR? Is it still 5.0.2.5?

yes thats what i have on my razr

#16 Aixelsyd

Aixelsyd

Freak on a Leash

• Administrator
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWindy City
  • Current Device(s):x13 Dev Ed & x14 Pure Ed & Droid Turbo

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

The reason SafeStrap stops OTA's is because it installs the safe-system into the /preinstall/ folder of the non-safe which the update checks to see if you have legit software. By removing recovery via Safestrap app and replacing your preinstall folder with one from the stock version of that update you can OTA again. I have made these 2 preinstall folders for use:

(Provided by mattlgroff. Use these to upgrade from 6.11.748 to 6.12.173 or update to another update/OTA not yet known at this time by replacing preinstall folder to fix Status 7 errors).

(Provided by mattlgroff. Use these to downgrade to 6.11.748 or to update to another update/OTA not yet known at this time by replacing preinstall folder to fix Status 7 errors).

Great explanation, however I have one quick question tho. Why are these 2 downlaods so big if there are just the /Preinstall folder of the 2 different builds? I have a copy from .744, and when I updated to .748 before doing anythign else I made a copy of that as well and they are much smaller in size.

#17 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • LocationHortens, Ga

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

I didnt have any luck going back down with preinstall files. Coulda been user error? Just stayin where im at for now.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users