#1 Lodmot

Lodmot

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi.

As I was "refurbishing" my Droid Bionic with all new plastic housing and a new digitizer, I had some difficulty moving a few components that were attached to the back housing over to the new one... These components were glued to the back housing by some kind of adhesive, and while I was trying to remove them, they tore apart. They are basically black, rubberish strips that have two metal leads at the end of them, which connect to the motherboard. Throughout the strips, they appear to consist of two circuit traces, and they seem like rather simple components. There's three of these, and I was only able to remove one successfully without tearing it. All three attach to the rear housing of the Droid Bionic, but they're very easily overlookable because they blend right in with the black casing.

I'm about 90% sure these are antennas, but I just wanted to clarify with someone here that they are. Since I put the phone back together, my signal has been terrible. At first, I thought they were the three microphones, but then I tested the microphones and they seem to work fine. So if anyone knows what I'm talking about, or what parts I'm referring to, and if they know whether these pieces are antennas or not, that'd be great. Thanks. ^^

#2 welsalex

welsalex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Oh no lod... i don't know anything about the insides but it doesn't sound good. I am sorry for you sir!

#3 Lodmot

Lodmot

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Heh. It's alright. ^^

I watched a video and was actually able to confirm that the strips are indeed the antennas. The bottom one is for LTE/CDMA, and the side one is for WiFi (both of which I'm missing, which would make sense for why I'm getting horrid signal xDD).

It probably sounds like I was being reckless, but I really wasn't. The problem is that the new rear bezel I ordered didn't come with ANY of the components that are supposed to be attached to it, so I had to manually remove them from my OLD bezel to the new one. Peeling the antennas away from the bezel without ripping them apart is an extremely difficult feat. I was also thinking, since the antenna is such a simple component of the phone, I could perhaps try constructing my own, by stripping wires so that they're bare, and then taping them down in the areas where the antenna paths are. Not sure how effective that would work though..

#4 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hi.

As I was "refurbishing" my Droid Bionic with all new plastic housing and a new digitizer, I had some difficulty moving a few components that were attached to the back housing over to the new one... These components were glued to the back housing by some kind of adhesive, and while I was trying to remove them, they tore apart. They are basically black, rubberish strips that have two metal leads at the end of them, which connect to the motherboard. Throughout the strips, they appear to consist of two circuit traces, and they seem like rather simple components. There's three of these, and I was only able to remove one successfully without tearing it. All three attach to the rear housing of the Droid Bionic, but they're very easily overlookable because they blend right in with the black casing.

I'm about 90% sure these are antennas, but I just wanted to clarify with someone here that they are. Since I put the phone back together, my signal has been terrible. At first, I thought they were the three microphones, but then I tested the microphones and they seem to work fine. So if anyone knows what I'm talking about, or what parts I'm referring to, and if they know whether these pieces are antennas or not, that'd be great. Thanks. ^^

I don`t personally own a Bionic, but maybe this will give you some insight on what those are.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Posted Image

#5 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

I was too late, lol. :D
Posted Image

#6 Lodmot

Lodmot

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

It actually didn't say anything about the antennas. I did find a webpage though that had pictures, and it flat out stated that the black strips on the bottom and side were antennas. The bottom one is for CDMA/LTE and the side one is for WiFi. The top one is supposedly for just strengthening the signals.

I'm just hoping that this other part I ordered has those antennas included with the rear bezel, or I may find myself having to construct my own. They're such an obscure component of the phone. I looked on ebay for replacement antennas, but found nothing.

#7 altspeed

altspeed

Director of National Stupidity

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Twitter:@Pat_Droid
  • Google+:+Patrick Robinson
  • LocationDallas Texas
  • Current Device(s):RIP 8 & 16 GB Bionics, XT912 RAZR Maxx, XT907 RAZR M Current XT 1060 Motomaker Future Nexus 6

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:04 AM

The top one is a passive radiator that symapathetically oscillates. Lte, cdma, and wifi all 3

"We are the People Verizon warned you about"

8 GB Bionic JB, 16 GB Bionic JB, Bionic Lapdock X2, Razr Maxx XT912 JB, Razr M XT907 JBLX

#8 BleedsOandB

BleedsOandB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Twitter:BleedsOandB

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:13 AM

The antennae are on the inside of the phone. No need to thank me.

But seriously, good luck on your repair quest.

#9 DerekWeber

DerekWeber

Non contributing ass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Twitter:@DerekWeber
  • Google+:www.google.com/+DerekWeber
  • LocationJeffery Dahmer's fridge
  • Current Device(s):Bionic, Semaphore Flags

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:15 AM

Making your own replacement antennas will probably not work out so well. There are many factors that go into the design of these antennas that I doubt you'll be able to replicate. Length, diameter and composition of the wire are all very important. A transmitting antenna must be matched and tuned to the transmitter. Too much or too little resistance will damage the transmitter.
Brrrrrrr... Where's my head?

#10 Lodmot

Lodmot

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Well, I ordered not one, but TWO rear bezels, so I'm hoping whichever one comes first has the antennas included on it. The first rear bezel had absolutely nothings attached to it. That's why you have to pay very close attention to the description of the item you're buying before you buy it. And they don't sell those antennas separately. It's funny how such an important part of the phone is so rare and obscure.

#11 ryukyu1

ryukyu1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Anyone know where the antenna is for the Razr XT910/912 ? I am thinking to get one of those radiation/SAR protectors to keep my ur "goodies" protected, and
has anyone tried those "goodie" protectors????

Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users