bigjailerman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:Dave L
  • Locationon the hop
  • Current Device(s):razr M, S4 I545

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

I think I waited too long after flashing when  I tried to reboot into recovery so I have try again.... but when booting into recovery on xt907 I get dead Andy. Can someone what dp I hit to open into recovery... I saw a post regarding that a few days ago but im not finding it yet

Thanks

....its never too late to learn :google

#23 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

That's stock recovery. So that means you booted the system after flashing custom recovery instead of booting directly into recovery. As a result stock recovery overwrite your custom recovery. Anyway, stock recovery works by holding power and volume up to bring up the recovery menu when at the Andy icon.
  • RikRong and bigjailerman like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#24 bigjailerman

bigjailerman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Twitter:Dave L
  • Locationon the hop
  • Current Device(s):razr M, S4 I545

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:56 PM

ok got it....

Thanks.... I have TWRP :D

• RikRong likes this

....its never too late to learn :google

#25 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl
  • Current Device(s):xt926 razr droid HD & xxt926 droid HD MAXX

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:12 PM

I see this question over and over again on the forum.  "I'm unlocked now how do I install custom recovery?"  There are numerous ways to do it.  If you're rooted, Flashify is a pretty easy way.  HOWEVER, I'm going to instruct you in the fastboot method because it can be used later to recover root after an OTA update on unlocked phones.  This is something every unlocked user should know how to do.

WARNING: Read FULLY before performing this.  Failure to do so will likely get it wrong.

What you need:

o)

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

o) The oem usb cable that came with your phone (yes, it matters)
o) A USB 2 port
o) A recovery image for your phone

NOTE: This isn't the "where do I get..." thread.  Please find the image for your phone BEFORE coming to this thread to learn how to flash it.  Thank you.

Instructions:

o) Extract the platform-tools to a folder on your c:\ drive  e.g. c:\install_recovery
o) Copy your recovery img file to the same folder e.g. c:\install_recovery
o) Open a cmd prompt to the directory that contains fastboot and the recovery image e.g. c:\install_recovery
o) Put your phone in AP Fastboot mode, and connect it to a USB 2.0 (NOT 3.0) port using the oem usb cable
o) On the cmd prompt, type:
     fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
o) Where recovery.img should be the fiilename for your specific recovery img file that you're trying to flash
o) Once it finishes flashing:
    unplug the phone, power it off, boot to the menu, select recovery
o) If you fail to do the above step and just perform a normal boot without going to recovery first, you will be posting "I followed everything...it didn't work" posts and annoying me.  If you fail to boot directly into recovery and instead boot normal, your custom recovery image that you just flashed will be overwritten with stock recovery, making it SEEM like "it didn't work" when in fact it did, but you didn't follow directions.   :)

Bonus Question:

Q: Sweet, I got custom recovery!  So, uh, how do I use it to install root?  I can do that....right?
A: Yes, yes you can!

It's been pointed out to me that we all make this more complicated than it needs to be.  If you're using CWM, you will need to get the supersu zip downloaded to your phone or use the adb sideload method to install it in recovery.  However, if you use TWRP, it has supersu built in.  Once you boot into TWRP and tell it to reboot, it'll prompt you to tell you that "hey root's not detected, bummer!  Want for I to install it for you?"  If you tell it yes, it'll install the su binary. Now, it's probably going to be an out of date su binary.  The very first thing you should do is ensure the supersu app is installed and/or updated from the playstore, then load the supersu app.  It will then prompt you to update the binary.  I've never found it necessary to use the recovery option of updating it.  So you have 3 options:

1.  If using TWRP, reboot into TWRP, and tell it to reboot, thus prompting you to install the SuperSU su binary
2.  Flash the supersu zip in CWM or TWRP
3.  Sideload the supersu zip using CWM or TWRP in their respective adb sideload options.

when i try this is comes back showing (boot loader) variable not supported error cannot load! what am i doing wrong?

#26 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 27 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

where can i get a uncorrupted file from everyone i down load says corrupted file? no matter if its twrp or cwm

#27 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:09 AM

well i got cwm to work but know i cant go into recovery and it keeps going back in ap fastboot when i try to goto recovery. it shows on screen fastboot reason:sticky bit factory_fastboot what the hell does this mean and whats up with this phone now? some one please help me i suck at flashing phones apparently and im new to the rooting/flashing scene thanx ahead of time for help

#28 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:40 AM

Go read the entire first post of the house of moto thread. Do nothing until you read the whole post.

#29 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

where can i get a uncorrupted file from everyone i down load says corrupted file? no matter if its twrp or cwm

Check your AV settings, it's probably just flagging the files. They're not corrupted. It is hacking type software after all.😉 At least that's what my PC says sometimes.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

R. Long: Pixel 5

#30 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

can some one please tell me I can go to find out how to flash a recovery step by step for someone with absolutely no knowledge of how to do it because im getting no where fast and I've been trying to do this for a week now and looked at many forums and asked many questions and cant seem to get ALL the info I need to do this I have also looked on the web and it also doesn't give all the step by step info as well on how to do it im getting very frustrated I don't want to brick my phone or pay some one to do this so if some one could tell me where to go it would GREATLY be appreciated.   

#31 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 29 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

umm, isnt that what the first post is/does?!?!? 

put phone into fastboot mode and from the commandline of the pc where you have the fastboot executables, run: fastboot flash recovery RECOVERY_FILE_NAME.img (where RECOVERY_FILE_NAME.img is the file name of the image you want to flash)......just like the instructions state.

I assume you do have an unlocked bootloader....

• SamuriHL and RikRong like this

#32 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 30 December 2014 - 05:45 PM

um yeah its unlocked and ive tried it just like what your saying it shows up bootloader variable not supported error cannot load but it appears to flash something from it shows after that then when I try to go to recovery it wont go to it it goes back to the ap fastboot and says sticky bit factory_fastboot I have no clue what im doing wrong ive tried bot twrp and cwm and get the same thing out of both of them. im using          4.4.2 KDA 20.62-15.1 is this why I cant flash a recovery on it? is there any way I can go back to 4.4.2 kda 20.62-10.0 so that its easier to get root and a recovery?

#33 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

Until you do what I said to do in my last post, you're going to continue to not get it to work. That sticky bit error needs to be fixed. I told you exactly what to do to fix that and you ignored me. I can't help people that fail to read.
  • RikRong likes this

#34 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

are u sure it was me? because all u told me was to read the post the  house of moto thread from the beginning and I read the beginning again like u said  at least I think I did its the beginning of the discussion correct? am im not saying that its not working im saying it goes into apfastboot when I tried to goto recovery after flashing and I don't know why or what the causing of it is im asking what im doing wrong? so I stop doing it apparently I can read the post a 1000 times and ill keep doing what im doing wrong until im told what it is im doing wrong or just tell me u don't know what im doing wrong and i'll try to find another forum on this somewhere else I guess don't get me wrong I appreciate the help greatly  but im not getting anywhere with this. 

#35 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

Really?  So when you read the House of Moto thead, did you bother to see the part that was relevant to the problem you posted about when I replied?  Like the fix to the sticky bit error?  Cause it sure sounds like you didn't.  When I say to read, it's not to skim read.

#36 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 31 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

i apologize i misunderstood what u said i was rereading this forum over and over i didnt relize there was a different forum called the house of moto i read it and found how to clear the sticky finger thank you

#37 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

ok now that the sticky bit is gone how come when i flash twrp or cwm as my recovery why cant i reboot in to directly into recovery? it just reboots normally does that mean im not flashing it correctly?

#38 shaker3000

shaker3000

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationlutz fl

Posted 31 December 2014 - 11:54 PM

ok now that the sticky bit is gone how come when i flash twrp or cwm as my recovery why cant i reboot in to directly into recovery? it just reboots normally does that mean im not flashing it correctly?

ok it shows on the screen varibale not suported

target reported max download size

sending 'recovery'

okay

writing "recovery'

okay

finished total time

so is this a correctly flashed recovery? if so how come i cant get into recovrey on reboot? any help is appreciated. an thank u

#39 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:39 AM

o) Extract the platform-tools to a folder on your c:\ drive  e.g. c:\install_recovery

o) Copy your recovery img file to the same folder e.g. c:\install_recovery

o) Open a cmd prompt to the directory that contains fastboot and the recovery image e.g. c:\install_recovery

o) Put your phone in AP Fastboot mode, and connect it to a USB 2.0 (NOT 3.0) port using the oem usb cable

o) On the cmd prompt, type:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

o) Where recovery.img should be the fiilename for your specific recovery img file that you're trying to flash

o) Once it finishes flashing:

unplug the phone, power it off, boot to the menu,(Volume up + Power keys) select recovery

o) If you fail to do the above step and just perform a normal boot without going to recovery first, you will be posting "I followed everything...it didn't work" posts and annoying me.  If you fail to boot directly into recovery and instead boot normal, your custom recovery image that you just flashed will be overwritten with stock recovery, making it SEEM like "it didn't work" when in fact it did, but you didn't follow directions.

Direct copy from original post.

comment with held

• cmh714 and RikRong like this

#40 dinger4u

dinger4u

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:24 PM

103.05KB   4 downloads Would it be better to use this method or HOM to gain custom recovery and root while maintaining my current stock system.and I have unlocked bootloader. I wanted to save this setup before going to other roms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users