Photo

[How-To][Mobile-Downgrader] Flash Back 1.0 (09-14-14)

downgrade flash 4.1.2 flash 4.4.2 easy button TWRP 2.8.0.0

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • Twitter:@nobe1976
  • LocationWhere I AM
  • Current Device(s):LG G2, ®∆z® |/|@xX Π¶, Motorola Bionic, Viewsonic GTablet

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Flash_Back.gif

UnlockedOnly.gif

This project has been on my mind for sometime now, and I finally got around to free up some time to look more into it. My first attempt was to just install a different boot.img, but that just wasn't going to happen. The whole reason for this project was to make it easier for one to downgrade and revert in between the 2 different Base versions without the use of having to hunt down the PC to fastboot or RSD. I have used both zips which in turn allowed me to revert and downgrade through TWRP so I could install source built roms, stock based roms and also restore TWRP backups from both bases. After heavy testing I am releasing this to the Unlocked community so you may have more choices to use without needing a PC by your side. I created 2 different installation zips that install through TWRP Recovery. One is to be used to downgrade your current 4.4.2 system to be able to install 4.1.2 based roms. The other will basically revert those changes so that you will be back onto the 4.4.2 base system. Both come with there matching updated TWRP recovery programs for the base that it will be used on. Also a Slightly modified boot-logo will replace your current one, If you still have the unlocked bootloader warning you are welcome and if you have a favorite one that you use you can always unzip these and replace the logo with the one of your choice. Installation Instructions below must be followed so that everything will fall into play. Please Read, Read, then Read again. I have used this multiple times to get it setup so that one will not have issues while using this. So if you don't read just put the phone down and step away........

Thanks in Advance.

Credits.gif

To the Testers that got to use this before you did

and put it through the hoops to make it easier to

use for you.

To Jay and Teamlightspeed.com for server space

To Droidrzr.com......

And yes to that tech at Motorola that made the

mistake....Much Thanks.

Instructions.gif

Before Starting this I must advise backing up what is on your internal storage first. Why you ask, well Moto thought that they wanted to change the format of the data partitions. The data/cache and data/data partitions are fine as they get changed when you do the Factory reset before flashing, but some testers had issues accessing data/media which is the internal emulated storage on the first install of FlashBack to 4.1.2. The processes only has to be done once so that when you are downgrading and reverting you won't have issues accessing the internal storage.

FORMATTING INTERNAL STORAGE
Back up what ya got on the current ROM you are on YOU WILL LOOSE EVERYTHING IF YOU DON"T
Boot into current TWRP 2.8.0.0 then go into wipe settings then press Format Data. You will be given a warning and will have to type the word "yes" in order for it to proceed. Once this is done it is done you will not have to do this any longer. Boot back into the ROM that you are currently running and transfer back over the content that was once on your internal storage.

Recovery Updated to 2.8.0.0

Installation Instructions

Changing ROMs (Fresh Clean installs Either a 4.1.2 base or 4.4.2 base)
1. Download both installation zips to you Internal or External Storage (External preffered)
2. Choose the ROM that you would like to run and note the Stockbase on which it was built from (Either 4.1.2 or 4.4.2)
3. Boot into TWRP recovery. (If you don't like it oh well it is what you are getting with these zips.)
4. Once in TWRP recovery you are going to go into wipe settings then advance wipe settings and choose data, cache, dalvik and system then wipe.
5. Install the FlashBack zip that will be needed for that ROM to boot.(The updater is setup to boot back into recovery after it is done)
6. Once back into TWRP recovery perform a wipe data factory reset then install the ROM of choice and if it needs Gapps throw it in as well.
7. Reboot into System and Enjoy being unlocked.

Restoring a backup (Either a 4.1.2 base or 4.4.2 base)
1. Download both installation zips to you internal or external Storage (External preferred)
2. Make sure you have that backup in the proper folder for TWRP to see it.
3. Boot into TWRP recovery
4. Once in TWRP recovery you are going to go into wipe settings then Advance wipe settings and choose data, cache, dalvik and system to wipe.
5. Install the FlashBack zip that will be needed for that base to boot.(The updater is setup to boot back into recovery after it is done)
6. When it boots back into recovery then you can restore your backup of choice.
7. Go back into wipe settings then Advance wipe settings and choose cache plus dalvik then wipe.
8. Reboot into System.......

The_Goods.gif

Droid RAZR HD and HD MAxX xt926

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Questions.gif

Question: Will this allow me to update to the official 4.4.2 without having to fastboot?
Answer: No, You will need to be on 4.4.2 first and be Unlocked before attempting this.  :wacko: 

Question: Will this work even if I am not unlocked?
Answer: Put the phone down and just walk away before you break something.  :o 

Quesiton: I have a different device that is not posted on here will this work on that?
Answer: Refer to the answer from question #2  :blink: 

Question: My phone is dancing around and acting weird is that normal?
Answer: Yes. The reason for that is because it is free from restrictions.  :D 

• ibolski, SamuriHL, miss_sticks and 6 others like this

new_animated_sig.gif

#2 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

reserved

new_animated_sig.gif

#3 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Sorry I wasnt around to help test :( but will give this a try soon.

For me KK is ok, everything is good except the damn wifi and bt isnt as good. Maybe having a flashback isnt such a bad thing :)

• nobe1976 likes this

#4 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

That is why I made this..... Since the small issues in 4.4.4 need to be weeded out and once they are weeded out one can just flip flop and crackflash without waiting.

new_animated_sig.gif

#5 fxwrangler

fxwrangler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 15 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

Awesome! Thanks!!!!

#6 sunkim50

sunkim50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for this tools. Perfect for restore backups and encourages the flashaholics to just flash more ROMs. ;)
  • nobe1976 likes this

#7 morrisr3nd

morrisr3nd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMississippi
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razor Maxx HD

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Found it Nobe.  I will try this when my phone arrives.  Hopefully I want brick this one.  I will READ, READ, READ, READ, READ, READ.  Then I might think about it and READ some more.

• nobe1976 likes this

#8 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Glad you found the right thread and hope that they send ya one that has 9.30 on it and not try to sneak in one that has the unreleased leak.

Sent from my VS980 4G

new_animated_sig.gif

#9 morrisr3nd

morrisr3nd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMississippi
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razor Maxx HD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

How do I tell if it is 9.30. I've got the phone but I'm not sure where to find that info. I'm rooted and unlocked now.

#10 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

9.30 is the last 4.1.2 update Verrrrizon pushed. If you recently rooted and unlocked then chances are you are on 4.4.2. This patch allows you to Flash between the two different bootloaders with out needing to fastboot.

Sent from my VS980 4G

new_animated_sig.gif

#11 Guest_kinnelonfire75_*

Guest_kinnelonfire75_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Do you have to be using TWRP to downgrade? I am on CWM right now. 

#12 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Should work without a hitch. Just to let you know when it reboots back into recovery it will be TWRP, and it does it automatically so make sure that you do a full wipe like instructed in the OP....

You can change the recovery after the processes is done Just to let you know.

new_animated_sig.gif

#13 Guest_kinnelonfire75_*

Guest_kinnelonfire75_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hmm. Here's one. I obviously deviated from your steps somewhere going from 4.4.2 to 4.1.2

I downgraded, or so I think. I now have TWRP and your custom bootlogo. In TWRP recovery, I see the updater zips, and the gapps zip that I had but I lost all my backups and the ROM I was planning to go to. Tried using RSD lite to go to the 4.1.2 software but it said it failed "invalid image size for partition tz". So now I have no OS on the phone and I am out of ideas. Least I have 52% battery life.

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Thanks for the help...I blame no one but myself. 

Edit: On a whim, I used RSD lite to flash the fxz for the 4.4.2 software and that worked. 

Edit 2: Tried everything with again, this time where I had TWRP as the recovery and it worked. 

#14 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

Glad you got it going.

new_animated_sig.gif

#15 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

Small update for the FlashBack to KK...

Included a newly compiled TWRP 2.7.1.0 with Screenshot feature....

See this tread

on updated feature

new_animated_sig.gif

#16 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 10 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

Small update for the KK FlashBack. 

ScreenShot added to 2.7.1.0 and Busybox install Fixed.

• cmh714 likes this

new_animated_sig.gif

#17 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:25 AM

OP updated

:rolleyes 

Small update to both zips.

included FIXED TWRP 2.8.0.0

new_animated_sig.gif

#18 Aqua009

Aqua009

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD XT926 183.46.15 Build KDA20.62-15.1

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

So would firmwares from this page work after installing the JBBL?

I've tried the KBBL and JBBL with older versions of Cyanogenmod, but couldn't get it to work.  My phone was stuck on the green M start up logo or it would the M would flash on and off, but not go past the boot up logo M.  So I had to reinstall my back up.  The latest Gummy ROMs have issues with the wifi and tethering so this is why I want to go back JB.  And Verizon stock 4.4.2 won't let me tether with wifi anymore, only Bluetooth.

Which stable releases of CM works for the JBBL/KBBL flashback?  Or would you reccomend a stable JB Gummy ROM?

I have the Maxx HD 926 183.46.15 Build KDA20.62-15.1

Thanks.  Sorry if I am asking the wrong questions or do not understand how it all works.  I know only enough to bruise myself :)

#19 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 09 October 2014 - 10:08 AM

So would firmwares from this page work after installing the JBBL?

I've tried the KBBL and JBBL with older versions of Cyanogenmod, but couldn't get it to work. My phone was stuck on the green M start up logo or it would the M would flash on and off, but not go past the boot up logo M. So I had to reinstall my back up. The latest Gummy ROMs have issues with the wifi and tethering so this is why I want to go back JB. And Verizon stock 4.4.2 won't let me tether with wifi anymore, only Bluetooth.

Which stable releases of CM works for the JBBL/KBBL flashback? Or would you reccomend a stable JB Gummy ROM?

I have the Maxx HD 926 183.46.15 Build KDA20.62-15.1

Thanks. Sorry if I am asking the wrong questions or do not understand how it all works. I know only enough to bruise myself :)

The issue you might oh been having on trying to install CM based off of JBBL is because your data partition might be formatted f2fs. JBBL builds don't recognize that format so the cache doesn't know where to be placed. A easy fix is to change the data partition format back to ext.4 and problem solved no matter what bootloader you are on.

Sent from my VS980 4G

• Aqua009 likes this

new_animated_sig.gif

#20 Aqua009

Aqua009

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD XT926 183.46.15 Build KDA20.62-15.1

Posted 09 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

The issue you might oh been having on trying to install CM based off of JBBL is because your data partition might be formatted f2fs. JBBL builds don't recognize that format so the cache doesn't know where to be placed. A easy fix is to change the data partition format back to ext.4 and problem solved no matter what bootloader you are on.

Sent from my VS980 4G

I checked my data file via TWRP v2.8.0.0>Advanced wipe>Data (checked box)>Repair or change file system

It gave me options to format into F2FS , FAT, ext.2 etc but it said my current data partition was ext.4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: downgrade, flash 4.1.2, flash 4.4.2, easy button, TWRP 2.8.0.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users