• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 lovemyram4x4

lovemyram4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

First thing I notice is it feels better in my hands than my OG Razr with it's softer rounded Kevlar edges.

The screen looks better, not as much as I'd hoped as the text although is much sharper it's still a bit fuzzy, colors are better than my current Razr which is the second best out of the 5 I've had, hopefully there isn't much variance on the Razr HD as we had with the Razr/Maxx. The screen is about 5mm wider while normal viewing height ends up being a hair smaller with the on-screen keys & slightly larger notification bar. The touch screen seemed butter smooth.

Can't comment much on performance as aside from all my apps automatically installing during initial phone setup I haven't got everything setup & done normal usage,but everything was fast so far. The benchmarks look good (see screen shot).

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

87.02KB   48 downloads

I was quite pleased that wifi now supports wireless N/5ghz, however range/signal strength is worse than the Razr which wasn't very good. I can't even get a 5ghz signal from my bedroom & 2.4ghz won't even sign on.

I didn't do any testing on data.

BT has seemed to fallow the trend of just getting worse(as it goes for working with my car), Razr on GB the only issue I had was if the call was initiated from the car BT would disconnect but if you hit the talk button again it would reconnect & make the call, when ICS came it quit pulling contacts off the & the previous, now on the Razr HD I can't even make a call from the phone over BT in my initial test. I really miss how BT just work on everything on mobile windows.

After fully charging the phone I turned on all the things I normally would have automatically shut of if not in use(BT, GPS, data if on wifi) to see how battery life was. It did OK, although I was hoping for a bit more. I did notice that while I was up in the bedroom the phone stay awake most of the time even though it wasn't being used(possibly do to the wifi trying to connect), but this was with 1.5hr on screen time.

54.23KB   53 downloads

45.5KB   40 downloads

I was disappointed to see the few blur things I actually like are gone, my gallery(for the widget), motocast, & webtop. Although webtop is gone you can still mirror via HDMI, USB input devices still work, but screen stays on when on lapdock & no phone as mouse on TV/monitor.

59.28KB   27 downloads

Although there's no doubt I'm returning this particular phone, at this point I'm not sure if I'll be getting the dev edition I learned was also already released soon after my purchase due to the poor wifi & lack of webtop & maybe for a Verizon Razr I or Nexus.

With short time I spent with this device I think for those that don't use lapdocks, HD docks/webtop to TV/monitor & sit close to the router when on wifi will love the Razr HD. Now time to return this thing & decide to order the dev edition or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

#2 chrisc2u

chrisc2u

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:50 AM

I am having no issues with my wifi or bluetooth connections/calls over the past 3 days of use. I also think the screen is much better than my previous razr maxx. I like the look and feel of the phone, this is a solid build with quality materials, no plastic and some weight and mass to it which I think feels sturdy. I was a little hesitant to upgrade at first, but am very glad I did now.

#3 bwheelies

bwheelies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:57 AM

I am thinking of snagging this phone. I wouldn't mind something a little larger as this is my main media outlet but I do just fine with my regular maxx.

Any comparisons with signal strength and GPS reception?

#4 lovemyram4x4

lovemyram4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

I am thinking of snagging this phone. I wouldn't mind something a little larger as this is my main media outlet but I do just fine with my regular maxx.

Any comparisons with signal strength and GPS reception?

If you can get it for upgrade pricing I'd say it would be worth it. The screen is better & for media you'd get to use the full size (assuming your player supports it, I think by now most will since the on screen keys have been around for awhile).

I decided to go ahead & order the dev edition so once i get it I'll do some more testing & report back. During the short time I did use the first Razr HD I didn't notice any issues with GPS or data. I'm also currious about the data side as that's one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade, it's also related to why I'm on my 5th Razr. I never had issues with GPS on my Razr so if the Razr HD as well I'll be happy.

According to the Motorola web site the dev editions would ship today & they're offering free 2 day shipping, so if that happens I'll have it Fri.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

#5 AlistairChiss

AlistairChiss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR Maxx HD

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

I got mine last night and its been great.

My wifi reception is actually a bit better than my original RAZR had. I was excited to see the 5GHz support which I promptly started using at home, only to find that at work they disabled the 5GHz network due to the fact that nobody was utilizing it. The cellular reception is fine until I pick up the phone and drop to 1 or 0 bars inside of my house where the original RAZR was getting 1 or even 2. I'm hoping this is just an error in the reception calculation but I've got a bad feeling about it.

This is definitely not the same ICS or even close to the same ICS that was on the original RAZR. For starters the interface is a decent amount different. You start with one home screen and can slide back to a page with your quick options for Wireless, BT, GPS, and Airplane mode. You can add additional pages as desired rather than being forced into having 5 even if most are empty as was the case for me thanks to folders of apps on the home screen. The next thing that I noticed was that the default Browser was nowhere to be found and instead I was greeted with Chrome as my only browser, which suits me just fine. It doesn't seem to lag as much while loading Chrome as it did on the original RAZR for me. After installing all of my apps I went to do my usual routine of moving a bunch of them to Media Storage which to my surprise was nowhere to be found. It seems that they went the route of having one large partition for all of my data.

The camera seems to take better quality photos than the original RAZR.

I was disappointed with the lack of WebTop which now renders my lapdock useless. The screen will mirror to the lapdock but will maintain the same resolution as the phone making it like using 640x480 on your desktop monitors. In short, yuck. The trackpad and keyboard worked just fine so perhaps if somebody can find a way to change the resolution when plugged into an HDMI device it'll be fine. Until then I'll be hoping for the best.

Finally I just discovered a bit ago that I can disable apps on my phone including the pre-bundled items like VZNavigator without rooting my phone. The previously mentioned app has been disabled on my phone and I'll be very happy when my Navigation dock arrives and I won't be bothered by it coming up by default every time I plug the phone into the dock.
  • graig779 likes this
Phone: Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD Tablet: Samsung Nexus 10

#6 JJT211

JJT211

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:43 PM

I went and checked this out at Verizon today and was VERY surprised of how much I liked it!

The big knock for me was the 4.7 in screen making the phone way to big....My OG Razr Maxx w/ 4.3 in screen is about as big as I want to go...

However, when I compared it to my OG Razr....it was EXACTLY the same size and dimension....The difference was having LESS bezel and MORE screen! It's a good bit smaller the GS3

I did a quick speed test and got 24 MB/S vs 12 MB/s on my OG Razr.....I didnt think I would like the soft button interface but it actually was much different than expected and made navigating and using the phone MUCH easier....and ;ast but not least the whole interface with supper smooth!

Cant afford it atm....but just wanted to share how pleasantly surprised I was with the new HD!

#7 Guest_24v_*

Guest_24v_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

I have had this phone now for a few days and I love it.
It feels like a faster, better looking Razr Maxx.
I really like this implementation of ICS, and my quadrant scores seem great as well.
I have rooted, and debloated quite a bit. My app drawer is down to 1.5 pages, and shrinking.
Here is a quadrant score how the phone sits now on stock rom.
Posted Image
  • vtwinbmx likes this

#8 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

I heart mine :)

Tapped from my XT926, XT913 or SCH-i535.

#9 YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, GA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

I've had mine a few days and it's definitely a keeper for me! At first I thought about returning it cause I paid full retail it (screw Verizon - my unlimited data goes NOWHERE!) and didn't think the $649 price tag was worth the upgrade from my Maxx. But the more I play, the more I like!

I thought the Note 2 could possibly sway me away from the Maxx HD, but I just went to a Sprint store to play with one and that device is just not for me! TouchWiz is WAY too intrusive for my liking (the notification area alone was a giant looking cluster of icons and notifications)! I think Moto did a great job on the HD ... Blur isn't too intrusive yet has some very useful, subtle additions.

Very happy with my device of choice :D

#10 bwheelies

bwheelies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

Damn you guys! I want one. Does it have dark spots when looking at a black screen?

The possibility of a RAZR X may make me hold out from upgrading my maxx.

#11 YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, GA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

Damn you guys! I want one. Does it have dark spots when looking at a black screen?

The possibility of a RAZR X may make me hold out from upgrading my maxx.

I have not noticed the black dots, and believe me I been looking ... that drove me nuts on my Maxx!

~~ Tapped from the 7th dimension~~

#12 chrisc2u

chrisc2u

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

Day 5 with mine and I love it more each day! JJT211 I did the same measurement with my old razr maxx and saw it was the exact same size as well when I was comparing. I agree the ICS implementation is nicely done, mostly stock with some nice intuitive enhancements.

I got lucky and was able to get mine off of craigslist for cheaper than retail, very happy with my purchase!

This is a solid phone

#13 YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, GA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:22 AM

Has anyone noticed the Calendar app icon? The day changes in the app draw to reflect today's date! Also, it'll have a little alarm looking thing next to it if you have a reminder set for sometime during that day! Pure awesomeness :lol: (its the little things in life that amuse me lol)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2
  • lownslow200sx likes this

#14 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

Has anyone noticed the Calendar app icon? The day changes in the app draw to reflect today's date! Also, it'll have a little alarm looking thing next to it if you have a reminder set for sometime during that day! Pure awesomeness :lol: (its the little things in life that amuse me lol)

YES! I had that idea like a year ago. Lol I should of patented it :P
  • lownslow200sx likes this

#15 YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSharpsburg, GA

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

YES! I had that idea like a year ago. Lol I should of patented it

ROFL! Should have, then you coulda sued like CrApple!

#16 mrhug3

mrhug3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

That's pure genius! Never noticed it. It's a nice touch without being a large skin like Sense or TouchWiz, neither of which I'm fond of. I too am amused by the little things...

#17 AlistairChiss

AlistairChiss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR Maxx HD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:29 AM

I am certainly loving the battery life on the Maxx HD. I was normally getting 12-14 hours tops on my old Droid RAZR.

120.12KB   26 downloads
Phone: Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD Tablet: Samsung Nexus 10

#18 bwheelies

bwheelies

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

I took a look at the maxx today and was surprised it felt lighter than my non-hd maxx.

Also thought it would have been bigger but physical size is about dead on with standard maxx.

The LG phone/tablet on the other hand was a monster! Having that in your pocket is like having a small picture frame with you.

Fit and finish on HD was excellent as has been stated.

Had I another phone other than what I currently have I would get the Maxx HD above the other offerings.

Not a big enough leap for me to purchase at full price.

Waiting on 5" quad core with better camera tech.

#19 lovemyram4x4

lovemyram4x4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I got my dev edition today and right now as I'm setting it up I'm surprised to see there's already a system update(0.7.2.en.US).

I'll post later after I'm done setting up the phone and installing it with more info about it.

#20 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

I got my dev edition today and right now as I'm setting it up I'm surprised to see there's already a system update(0.7.2.en.US).

I'll post later after I'm done setting up the phone and installing it with more info about it.

It's a security update as well as Isis support

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users