Moose1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

No one attempted Root Keeper?

I wasnt rooted.

If I take the update that was downloaded to my device last night will I loose the ability to get root on the razr hd maxx

If you werent rooted before and had root keeper. Then yes.. until a root comes out for JB
  • karatche likes this

#42 karatche

karatche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Sorry I don't understand your answer?

I wasnt rooted.

If you werent rooted before and had root keeper. Then yes.. until a root comes out for JB

#43 Moose1988

Moose1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

Sorry. Was in a rush. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. but, you can only root on ice cream sandwich (for now). If you update to jelly bean, you will lose the ability to root. You can root while your still on ics, then use root keeper to keep root, then update to JB.. again.. someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still a noob myself.
  • karatche likes this

#44 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:25 AM

Sorry. Was in a rush. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.. but, you can only root on ice cream sandwich (for now). If you update to jelly bean, you will lose the ability to root. You can root while your still on ics, then use root keeper to keep root, then update to JB.. again.. someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm still a noob myself.

you are correct. There is currently no way to root JB on the HD...but, if the official update is the same as the official leak we released a few days ago, you should be able to go back to ICS using rsd or Matt's utility and then root, do the rootkeeper thing and then update and restore root

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2
  • Narffran likes this

#45 Moose1988

Moose1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:33 AM

Will there be a root for JB in the future?

#46 karatche

karatche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:41 AM

Thanks to all who have replied- So to clarify-
If I get root while I'm still on ics I can install something that will bring me back to ics if i wish, after updating to jb? Or is there something that will bring you back to ics after taking the jellybean update without any prior preparation. Sorry for the noob questions but I assume thats what the forum is for. Just want to make sure I don't take an update that there is no way out of. I want to get root to take off bloat and flash custom roms latter.

#47 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

I do not know...

#48 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

Thanks to all who have replied- So to clarify-
If I get root while I'm still on ics I can install something that will bring me back to ics if i wish, after updating to jb? Or is there something that will bring you back to ics after taking the jellybean update without any prior preparation. Sorry for the noob questions but I assume thats what the forum is for. Just want to make sure I don't take an update that there is no way out of. I want to get root to take off bloat and flash custom roms latter.

to my knowledge, Matt's utility will bring you back from JB...but give me a while (and possibly a reminder) and I'll send you step by step instructions on how to keep root through the update :)

#49 karatche

karatche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:10 AM

thanks natty
  • NattyBee likes this

#50 Moose1988

Moose1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

I do not know...

Well.. here's to hoping. Lol.

#51 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:43 PM

thanks natty

hey....sorry for the huge delay...I sent you a PM explaining step by step how I took the OTA update and kept root. :)

#52 clintro

clintro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Twitter:clintro

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I do not know...

Well Get out your crystal ball, would ya? LOL B)

#53 Guest_Xplorer4x4_*

Guest_Xplorer4x4_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

You need to have rooted and properly protected root in ICS prior to updating to JB...the method in this thread will not work on JB...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Can I suggest that this be added to the OP? I took the time to read the thread like a good modder :P Most n00bs will read the OP and nothing more. Also, can I suggest adding that Root Keeper will allow you to reroot once you are on JB.

Moose1998, these questions are hard to answer. Usually, it is not that hard to root a device before release, or right after the release(weather it be hours or days) in most cases, but OTA upgrades are typically harder to root. The OEMs tend to use what they learned from the original release and try to patch up future updates nice and tight. The best thing to do is sit back and read the forums.

#54 dnkjordan

dnkjordan

Hazegray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD [Unlocked/Rooted]

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

This method also worked on my Razr Maxx HD. Thanks!!

#55 MartyChubbs

MartyChubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationThe Ghetto, Minnesota

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:21 AM

This method also worked on my Razr Maxx HD. Thanks!!

ICS or JB?
I (aka Mr. Chubbs aka Marty "The Wad" Chubbs aka Knot Mehreelname ) accept no liability for the content of this post. I basically made it all up as I was typing...

#56 zooyork0721

zooyork0721

All Around Man

• Developer
  • 979 posts
  • Google+:gtalk/hangouts- zooyork0721
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • Current Device(s):OnePlus 8 Pro

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:10 AM

ICS or JB?

this root method is ICS

lr79yH0.png

en_app_rgb_wo_60.png

#57 dnkjordan

dnkjordan

Hazegray

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Current Device(s):RAZR MAXX HD [Unlocked/Rooted]

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Both really. I used voodoo root keeper, temp unrooted then did the OTA update to JB and was able to restore root.

If you didn't root before getting the OTA update use DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility1.10 to revert back to ICS, root, use root keeper, temp unroot, perform OTA then restore root. This method uses the same exploit and worked on my wife's phone. You can find the RAZR Utility file on the XDA developers site. Good luck!
  • adamjmtz likes this

#58 ThatKasper

ThatKasper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD (XT926)

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

Not a fan of all this circular logic to flash backwards to root then flash forward. I have a brand new, out-of-the-box Razr Maxx HD (XT926) that already has the OTA 4.1.1 installed. Obviously without rooting I can't restore my old backed-up apps from he previous device yet I cannot root my new one. What's the point in all this hard work, just to say you can?? Certainly there has to be a way for my new device to recognize that I've downloaded apps/games previously and actually have data associated with them so I don't have to void my warranty just to get something back that I've already paid for. Does anyone else see the flawed logic here??

#59 originaldobo

originaldobo

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Twitter:@originaldobo
  • Google+:dobo122884
  • LocationLakeland F.L
  • Current Device(s):Razr HD

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Google tracks all your purchases, as far as data with in app your sol unless your rooted. If you tell them you flashed back you will void a warranty but using Matt's utility has no ill effects on the device and is quite easy to do. I've created a how to on youtube showing how to flash back and root. YouTube channel dobo122884

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#60 jbr

jbr

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

Purchased a Droid RAZR Maxx HD running 4.1.1 (version 9.1.41.XT926) already installed.

Tried the Motofail2go link

Driver is updated
Debugging enabled
Unknown sources enabled
Connected as media device
Ran batch file.
Went through commands on PC screen

Exploit failed

Phone rebooted

Root checker said doesn't have proper root access.

Do I have to flash back to ICS to get this method to work?

Anyone have any suggestions..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users