• PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Twitter:mhowell34
  • Google+:mhowell34
  • LocationStarkvegas, Mississippi
  • Current Device(s):Galaxy S4 Active

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:49 AM

Hey guys just thought id get it started in here :P

I like many others I'm sure got Windows 8 and are doing everything we can to give the middle finger to the new start system

So if your like me and absolutely hate it i suggest you drop 5 dollars on Start8 by Stardock, Its unbeatable

My Desktop
Posted Image

Start8
Posted Image

Its loaded with features to disable if you hate some of the corner stuff in Windows 8. Plus you get your start menu back. With the option of the new layout or the old. Why couldn't MS come up with something
that simple... The world may never know. But definately makes the OS functional. I approve this program and hope many others give it a chance with its 30 day trial.

>> I'VE BEEN AROUND A WHILE. LETS GET TO IT <<
Current Device: AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 Active 

Retired Devices: Moto Droid, VZW HTC Thunderbolt, VZW Moto Droid Bionic

#2 loonie01

loonie01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:56 AM

How did you keep your widgets?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 cyberLurker

cyberLurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Twitter:cyberLurker
  • Google+:4hernan@gmail.com

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:12 AM

Thanks!
8 will go down like "New Coke" or "Vista" just plain stupid move MS.
Almost as backward as "Ubuntu Unity". Start was the best advantage Win had over Mac.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using T2

#4 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Thanks!
8 will go down like "New Coke" or "Vista" just plain stupid move MS.
Almost as backward as "Ubuntu Unity". Start was the best advantage Win had over Mac.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX using T2

Yeah, MS is following their pattern to the letter. Every other OS is fail. After Win7 comes a fail just as the previous Vista. Waiting for Win9 or whatever it's gonna be called.
Posted Image

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

That looks nice but I found one that's even better... the actual Windows 7 start menu.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• cyberLurker likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#6 chasr

chasr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

I started out with the original IBM PC that booted off 5 1/4" floppies. I have not missed a DOS or Windows upgrade until now. However, I plan to skip Windows 8 just for the reasons stated above - the only way you can stand Windows 8 at least on a current generation keyboard/mouse based system is to make it work like Windows 7. I am already on the best Windows 7 emulator you can get - Windows 7. ;)

#7 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

I ran the public beta test Win 8 for a couple weeks and ABSOLUTELY HATED IT. The way Microsoft is trying to implement a "mobile experience" into a desktop is really annoying. And those stupid apps, I found just as useless. Not to mention without a touch screen computer you're missing out on a lot of the dfeatures. I don't like it one bit. Hello Windows ME/Windows Vista/Windows 8!
  • Nitewolf likes this

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#8 chasr

chasr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx HD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:10 AM

As invested as I am in Android tablet and phone hardware and apps, a "Surface" with 8 or RT8 isn't in my future either. On the other hand I hope it isn't an unmitigated disaster since I have some Microsoft stock in my portfolio. :ph34r:

#9 SPJESTER

SPJESTER

Like A Boss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

The gadgets are called 8GadgetPack since they discontinued them its all the most popular widgets in 1 app, you can get them here

And that real windows explorer mod for win8 might work for a little while. But when they update it to try and patch that mod Start8 is the only option left for a little while possibly. They did that shell patch with XP SP2 if you remember and people had to hack around it. But, you have Classic Shell which is free, and ViStart but none of them have the real start menu layout or right click functionality that works right.

#10 Garemlin

Garemlin

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Twitter:garemlin
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm still running XP Pro. LOL

Tap'd from my Maxx

#11 SPJESTER

SPJESTER

Like A Boss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

haha im using that start bar mod he posted above. It works fine. Just hope it makes it through updates when they come

#12 BodyShoT

BodyShoT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

It's sad you have to "hack" Windows 8 to get the dang start button back. MS sticking to its usual OS pattern.

#13 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:18 AM

No need for apps here - just switch to classic modes -

I btw think the seamless trans from mobile to desktop is a decent enough thought, but why degrade the dedktop- upgrade the mobile instead - stupid!

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#14 snives

snives

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:33 AM

No need for apps here - just switch to classic modes -

I btw think the seamless trans from mobile to desktop is a decent enough thought, but why degrade the dedktop- upgrade the mobile instead - stupid!

That is for Vista to have the XP or earlier theme...

#15 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:35 AM

Ooops, shouldn't be trying to do this while driving. I posted the wrong link - my apologies. I'll make this simpler - I have been running 8 for about 6 months and there is a registry key change that will do away with the metro on the beta copies and that was the link I was trying to post - BUT I just looked when I got to work and apparently they removed that option in the release. Stupid.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#16 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

OK, so now I've had some time to dig and try some options. The one I liked the best was Classic Shell - mostly because it is open source of course - but it is also because it brings back some features that have been removed along the way.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users