#1 jas0n_ch0

jas0n_ch0

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

My phone fell out of my pocket from a height of no more than 2 feet (distance from a standard rolling office chair) while I was putting my phone back into my pocket after answering a call. BTW, my phone has an external case and screen protector and this happened on carpeted flooring. The phone landed with a "thud" on its side on the carpeted floor. Went to turn the screen back on to check the time, I see this "splash" crack pattern on the INSIDE of the phone UNDER the Gorilla Glass. I thought the RAZR was supposed to be splash proof with its internal Kevlar covering and damage protection with the Gorilla Glass. Yet a drop of 2 feet on to carpet and breaks the INSIDE of the phone is completely unacceptable for a phone thats marketed as "tough"

I want to know if anyone is experiencing this problem, seems the outer case of the phone is stronger than the internal components. I have a replacement phone on the way but most likely will be charged the repair fee of some $156 if the phone was deemed damaged by water or fall.

This will be my 3rd Droid RAZR since its release. I really like this phone but I kind of have my doubts now.

EDIT: My first Motorola phone was the Droid1 and I didn't want to upgrade until I got the phone I REALLY wanted. When the RAZR came out, I just had to have it, I was torn between waiting for the Galaxy Nexus, but honestly, I don't like Samsung phone quality as much as Motorola, ICS is going to be eventually on the RAZR and the just looks of the RAZR you can't match. Damn, for a phone that I can't keep my hands off of gets broken in the most unlikeliest way makes me actually sad, at this point, when I called Verizon they told me I had to pay full price for a replacement which is around $600, but once I called Motorola, they told me it was $156 if it was out of warranty, which I relayed to Verizon and they made note that I would be charged $156 instead of $600.

#2 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

I've dropped my Razr from out of my shirt pocket. Picking up a package inside my work truck onto a wood floor with a hard silicone case on it about 20 times. And not a scratch!!!!

Rooted Droid Razr

#3 jas0n_ch0

jas0n_ch0

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

My first RAZR was dropped on concrete when coming out of my car and just a scratch on the case. This specific replacement model I got must be defective OR when the phone fell, it fell at just the right angle to f*ck it up.

#4 Baloot89

Baloot89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

I've spilt water on my razor and dropped it many times at various heights on multiple surfaces and its works fine, I just have these dark spots when the screen is on but with nothing showing...probably from water getting into it..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#5 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

I've spilt water on my razor and dropped it many times at various heights on multiple surfaces and its works fine, I just have these dark spots when the screen is on but with nothing showing...probably from water getting into it..

The dark spots that you speak of are not not from water. Pretty much all the razrs have them to some extent. Its because of the type of display if I remember correctly.

Sent from my rooted RAZR. If its not rooted, its not right! Droidrzr.com

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#6 andlaw

andlaw

BW ftw!! !!!!!

• Developer
  • 2,463 posts
  • LocationOH-I-O
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

heh, i just broke my screen in the inside just a few days ago too, insurance through diamond it costed 100 bucks since i replaced my OG droid before i bought the RAZR. i still cant believe it broke either, didnt even hit it that hard with my remote, guess i hit it just right tho... cuz nothing would turn on at all, just a nice spider web through the screen.. verizon couldnt believe it broke either... LOL, still love this phone tho!

"A truly blacked out experience"

Posted Image

[XT912 |[(BLACKWIDOWICS 214)] | [(BLACKWIDOWICS AOKP/CM9)] | [(BLACKWIDOWJB AOKP/CM10/CNA)] | [(wWIDOWICS 214)] | |[(BLACKWIDOWHDish)]| XT912]

[XT926 |[(BLACKWIDOWHD|wWIDOWHD)]| XT926]

#7 jas0n_ch0

jas0n_ch0

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Just got my replacement and I still love the phone even though the internals broke, but who gives a sh*t. I'll just be more careful this time and maybe invest in a stronger external case. BTW, I was using the Incipio Feather Ultra Thin Case when this happened, but I don't blame the case, in actuality the phone itself externally wasn't damaged. Already rooted, ota'ed to 1.73, and running the eclipse v0.1 rom.

#8 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Twitter:nix80908
  • LocationDenver, CO - USA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

That's very odd indeed . I've thrown my phone at people like a shurakin and never once had a scratch on it.
The only part that seems to scratch easy is the silver part that says "Motorola" on the top - it doesn't like keys.
Glad you got a replacement though.

#9 jas0n_ch0

jas0n_ch0

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

I'm pretty sure I'll be paying the $156 repair fee for not being under warranty. Better than the $600 something Verzion was going to charge me. Even though I think the phone was defective somehow to begin with, I did technically "drop it."

#10 DroidRazrAZ

DroidRazrAZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Twitter:konellaz
  • Google+:konellaz@gmail.com
  • LocationPDX 2 PHX

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:39 AM

I've dunked mine in a pint of beer teasing the hipsters ilame geeks a dozen times, thrown it across the room. But ya know what.. same thing happened to me.. not but two feet off the ground.. fell flat with a slap.. on office carpet.. baaam! !! Glass under the gorilla shattered! Just got my replacement RAZR today. I pay the 1.99 a month for extended lifetime warranty.

#11 dfdraw1

dfdraw1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

Droid razr internal screen crack

#12 dfdraw1

dfdraw1

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Droid razr not a scratch I've dropped it before pulled it out of my pocket with silicon cover and screen protector dropped it about 2 feet onto carpet and now there are spider fractures on the inside screen i can tell the phones on cuz i have notification lights but screen is black and it wont show up on my pc but it vibrates when i press buttons verizon wants 714.0

#13 NEPADroid

NEPADroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

Mine just broke and I need to get into it to get my files. It is powered up, of course and locked with password, but I have no display or interface to unlock the phone. Any suggestions on accessing my files? BTW,m I am a bit of a noob with ADB. I have experience with PC's and command line, but it is older than dirt, so I need some direction Please...

FYI, I have tried usb to pc and get nothing. It see's that the droid is connected, but shows no files.

#14 f4113n_sh4d0w

f4113n_sh4d0w

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

I had a similar issue. I had a hard case on it, and let my nephews play with it. I was no more then 5 feet away from them. They brought it back to me saying it wasn't working anymore. When I looked at the screen, it no longer came on. It had a crack along the top of the screen itself, everything else was intact, no drop. $300 to replace the sucker, so I just waited to buy an entirely new phone.
We process in shadow, to render unto others the truth and light.

#15 NEPADroid

NEPADroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Well I called Motorola and they gave me an RMA to send it for warranty evaluation. I am kind of undecided on which is better sending my rooted broken screen phone to the manufacturer or to just do the insurance claim and get a new phone...

#16 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Perhaps I've been lucky but I've dropped mine three times. It has a case on it. Twice I dropped it from about 3 or 4 feet off the ground. One of those times was on concrete, the other tar. The third time I was climbing a ladder and the darn thing rang. Was pulling it out of the holster and somehow dropped it. I was probably 8 feet above the ground at the time. It landed on concrete (again) and never missed a beat. It was still like new. A Trident Kraken case. if you're wondering. I'm sold on it. :)

#17 VantenKiest

VantenKiest

Guru of Insanity & Tech support

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh PA baby

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:30 PM

the internal screen of the razr is uber uber weak.. but some are lucky enough not to crack it.. like me whom has thrown it at a wall and broke the wall a bit.. thank you otter defender.. but anyway it seems the the inertia is what breaks the inner screen not the impact itself.
ive fixed about 14 of these screens. and the replacement screens break pretty easy too. the display is THIN f%$kING THIN
In my Ferocious convictions, and in-dominant belief in my own actions, it would be a great advantage to anyone's interest who lay with mine..... Vanten Kiest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users