Photo

Cannot flash custom recovery

Best Answer livinginkaos , 21 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Try going into USB Debugging and toggling it off and back on while not connected to the computer.  Plug it back into a different USB port.  The offline generally happens with the lost key signature that was established when you first allowed the ADB connection to the device.

If that doesn't do it, look thru THIS thread.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

Before I start here is my current phone info:

Screenshot_2014-08-20-22-25-34.png

My problem arises after any attempt to flash a custom recovery.  I have tried multiple using various different methods, but the outcome is always the same, my phone hangs on the motorola symbol "dual core technologies" screen.  Eventually it continues into a normal boot.

I have tried fastboot flashing, utilities, 1-click, RSD, using Flashify, and rom manager to try to flash a recovery image, and then immediately unplugging, shutting off, and booting into recovery with Power+ Volume down keys.

Can anyone lend me some advice on how to proceed, I am unlocked and rooted yet am making no headway.

If there is anything that I am forgetting to mention please let me know, thank you in advance

#2 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

Where did you get the recovery images you are trying to flash?  Try this link

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Nobe has done a great job with this version of TWRP and works well. There is a link in the OP for both fastboot and an installer version. Also charge your battery a bit before you try to flash any more.  Its worth the time to be sure.

#3 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

Where did you get the recovery images you are trying to flash?  Try this link

Nobe has done a great job with this version of TWRP and works well. There is a link in the OP for both fastboot and an installer version. Also charge your battery a bit before you try to flash any more.  Its worth the time to be sure.

I have tried his fastboot install, how should I go about trying the other install method, flashify?

I have not tried flashing today, it was done yesterday and the days before all with a full battery.

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

Try this:

Download this file.  Ectract the windows folder in the zip on to your hardrive. Copy the recovery image into the same folder.

Put your phone into fastboot mode.  From inside the folder type

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

The recovery.img file is the way it is named in the zip I have downloaded from Nobe's op today. 

#5 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:33 PM

Try this:

Download this file.  Ectract the windows folder in the zip on to your hardrive. Copy the recovery image into the same folder.

Put your phone into fastboot mode.  From inside the folder type

Fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

The recovery.img file is the way it is named in the zip I have downloaded from Nobe's op today. 

Thank you, I'll try that in the morning when my phone is fully charged.  Ill get back to you when I have tried.

#6 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

If that doesn't work and you are using a usb 2.0 connection and you are sure your seeing a status 3 unlocked when in fastboot mode on the phone. Also make sure you are using the factory cable that came with the phone, it does make a difference. (to quote our resident warrior).

• ibolski likes this

#7 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

Sure sounds like you are not unlocked.

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#8 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:38 AM

Try this. Boot normally into your phone and then ensure usb debugging is turned on and plug your phone into your PC. Then go into a command window and enter "adb reboot recovery" to see if it will boot into recovery that way.

Otherwise, I would say your bootloader is not unlocked. What does it say on the screen when you boot into fastboot mode? It should say "unlocked". If not, then you're not unlocked.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#9 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

It says i am unlocked with a status code of 3, but honestly I feel like the unlock wasn't completely successful.  Is that possible?

God that screen is messy...IMG_20140821_092757.jpg

#10 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:00 AM

Nope, that says you are unlocked. It wouldn't say otherwise.

Try what I suggested. Boot into normal mode. Hook up the phone to your PC and then open a command window and do "adb reboot recovery" to force it to boot into recovery and see if that works.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#11 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

When I attempt to reboot into recovery the command window spits out "Error: device offline".   USB debugging is on

Running "adb devices" gives me my device serial and tell me it is offline as well.

#12 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:55 PM   Best Answer

Try going into USB Debugging and toggling it off and back on while not connected to the computer.  Plug it back into a different USB port.  The offline generally happens with the lost key signature that was established when you first allowed the ADB connection to the device.

If that doesn't do it, look thru

• thund3rstrik3 likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#13 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • Twitter:@nobe1976
  • LocationWhere I AM
  • Current Device(s):LG G2, ®∆z® |/|@xX Π¶, Motorola Bionic, Viewsonic GTablet

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

After fastbooting the boot.IMG. unplug the USB connection while still in fastboot mode. Tap the power button once to shut down the device. While holding down volume up press power button to enter the boot loader and select recovery. You should be in TWRP and first things first create a backup of your stock ROM and preferred to store it on external...
  • thund3rstrik3 likes this

new_animated_sig.gif

#14 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:52 PM

Thank you, everyone.  After updating to the newest version of the SDK the adb commands finally recognized that my phone was connected and I was able to flash nobe's recovery.  I have now backed up my stock rom to my external SD card and am now going to proceed with installing a custom rom.  I have read that the newest CM11 roms have had some problems with speaker phone volume during calls and spotty WIFI connections, is there a recommended rom out there that is stable enough for a daily driver?

• nobe1976 and RikRong like this

#15 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

If you don't mind the speakerphone issues. My Omni ROM does have WiFi fixed and is a great DD... FYI all latest bootloader Roms have issues with speakerphone at this time. Once they update the kernel commits there WiFi issues will be fixed.

new_animated_sig.gif

#16 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

If you don't mind the speakerphone issues. My Omni ROM does have WiFi fixed and is a great DD... FYI all latest bootloader Roms have issues with speakerphone at this time. Once they update the kernel commits there WiFi issues will be fixed.

Can you explain what exactly the speakerphone issues are to me, is it all the time/once in a while/ rare?  

Also, in your OMNI rom, is theme manager included?  Found your thread.

#17 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Omni doesn't have a theme manager on it. It is as close to a stock source build as it can get with much more features. The speakerphone issue is once you engage the speakerphone while talking. The regular mic won't work unless you reboot it, but during a incoming call if you select the speakerphone after answer it should still be able to work. Don't use it a whole lot since I use a BT wireless media headset 99% of the time.

new_animated_sig.gif

#18 thund3rstrik3

thund3rstrik3

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

Omni doesn't have a theme manager on it. It is as close to a stock source build as it can get with much more features. The speakerphone issue is once you engage the speakerphone while talking. The regular mic won't work unless you reboot it, but during a incoming call if you select the speakerphone after answer it should still be able to work. Don't use it a whole lot since I use a BT wireless media headset 99% of the time.

So i wont have to worry about the speakerphone bug if I never use the speakerphone feature?

#19 nobe1976

nobe1976

I Void Warranties

• Developer
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationWhere I AM

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Correct

new_animated_sig.gif

#20 zskynyrd

zskynyrd

n00b

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:01 AM

I dont know if this is the correct way to ask this. I am trying to Install cm11 M8 stable On Droid Razr Maxx Hd xt926. I have unlocked boot loader (using your utility) supersu, busybox, twrp Manager install. I have use towelroot and have access. I have sdk/adb on computer. I have download recover zip from this page.  I have cm11m8 zip on sd card along with gapps. and recovery image is also on SD card I also have in a file on my desk top twrp 2.7.1.0 from this page   . I have rebooted to recovery and I always get normal boot after android man. So using twrp manager it asks me to pick a device do I choose ghost? I do not see vanquish  in the list of devices. Ghost is 2.7.1.1 will this work? I have tried flashing from cmd it sees my device but I must be doing something wrong in the command line.P.S. I have also used radio comm and am on t-Mobile now. 

I have donated Thanks zskynyrd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users