87 replies to this topic

#1 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

No one likes to be called a Noob but let's face it that's what some of us are. We've rooted for the first time ever and maybe flashed our first ROM but are left scratching our heads when we read about someone using Ginger Unroot or Titanium Backup (first apps I downloaded after rooting). I'm creating this post in the hopes that the more experienced members will list their most esential and functional apps and elaborate a bit on their function and why you recommend them for the novice (like myself) out there who is new to all of this and wants to get the most out of their newly rooted phone.

At the moment I've only got TB and Ginger Unroot (downloaded after reading Admin's excellent post) but am considering downloading ROM Toolbox.

#2 The Kid

The Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Google+:thegsxr1000kid

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:06 PM

rom tool box is at the top of my list, had it on my evo and now on my razr
3.0 icsourcery GNex

#3 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up Kid. Have you tried out the boot animation option on ROM Toolbox on your Razr? I'm running Arctic and am wondering if I'll screw anything up if I download one.

#4 kl0wn

kl0wn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:10 PM

Didn't see you mention RazrBootstrap or SafeStrap. Either will do since we have the Fastboot files now, can always roll back at anytime in-case of a bootloop. But you'll need these if you plan on flashing a ROM.

EDIT: You posted above me before I saw it, said you're already on a custom ROM, so you can ignore what I posted above this edit.

Another app that can be very helpful (even though paid version of TB has it built-in), is Bloat Freezer. It was removed from the Market but you can still download it on the authors website, just google it. It is free, so if people are only going to use TB to freeze bloat, instead of paying you can do exact same thing for free with this app.

#5 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

I was refering to Marketplace apps. There are plenty of other posts on the forum about bootstrap and safestrap so I didn't want to go over them again. But thanks for posting the info kl0wn. Any info is good info for us new guys! :D

#6 curse3800

curse3800

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Juice Defender Ultimate, with it i almsot doubled my battery life but it comes at a small price. There is a free verison avaliable which will also help but ultimate is so worth it. I can go a whole day now without any problems and usualy have about 30% left with moderate usage.
  • GroulZer likes this

#7 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

What setting do you use? I also found out it doesn't play well with certain screen lock apps (I'm looking at you Go Locker..)

#8 curse3800

curse3800

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

i use aggressive. lol ive been using GoLocker for about a month now with jucie defender but havent noticed any problems yet, still works like a charm.

Another great app for rooted users is LightFlow, it allows you to customize you notification LED light so that for different notifications a diffent light will flash.

#9 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

How about Voodoo OTA? I've read a few members posts where they refer to it. I have a vague notion of how it's used but am not 100%.

#10 The Kid

The Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

How about Voodoo OTA? I've read a few members posts where they refer to it. I have a vague notion of how it's used but am not 100%.

yes on voodo and i havent played with boot animations on RTB as of yet.
3.0 icsourcery GNex

#11 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

Voodoo is great,allows you to take an OTA update while rooted(which would otherwise fail),and reroot after the update...Ive used it a bunch of times now...Im not a fan of titanium backup,I find it confusing,so I grabbed mybackup pro about 5 months ago,and I love it,very easy to use,and the toolbox it comes with allows you to freeze any app you want...I love cache cleaner NG,keeps your phone clean and does it automatically daily...screenshot ER has been nice on the Razr,i use long press on the search button to activate it...

#12 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:58 AM

Ive found You tube very helpful...I sometimes need to see how something works,reading is one thing.I couldnt figure out bootstrap over a year ago,one 2 minute video and i was all set.....

#13 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

As far as ROM Toolbox goes, MAKE SURE you backup your icons or fonts or anything aesthetic before you replace anything.

Yes the icon changer, boot animation changer, and font changer all work. The other visual tools do not on the Razr.

I would highly recommend Pro, well worth it. I use RTBp for everything, under/overclocking, visual changes, app backups/restores, density changes, etc.

:-D :-D

#14 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

As far as ROM Toolbox goes, MAKE SURE you backup your icons or fonts or anything aesthetic before you replace anything.

Yes the icon changer, boot animation changer, and font changer all work. The other visual tools do not on the Razr.

I would highly recommend Pro, well worth it. I use RTBp for everything, under/overclocking, visual changes, app backups/restores, density changes, etc.

Hell yeah! I swear by rtb... I love how it has sliders for build.prop settings... makes a smooth transition to tweaking... better than manually editing the text in the file (and quicker too :D ) it is the #1 root app imho well worth the paid version... much love to jrummy for an awesome app!

Sent from the cutting edge of my RAZR

#15 wyld

wyld

Some Kind Of Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Google+:rramos729@gmail.com
  • LocationPortage Indiana

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Root explorer is the app at the top of my list ! It's a file manager for rooted users allows you to access files that other file managers will not .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#16 hootowlserenade

hootowlserenade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationDavison, MI

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Root explorer is the app at the top of my list ! It's a file manager for rooted users allows you to access files that other file managers will not .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Root explorer is awesome, but not sure if others are aware that rom toolbox also has a root browser built in... if you want the most bang for your buck (or of you're like me and hate spending money)

#17 raijin32

raijin32

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Needless to I downloaded ROM Toolbox after all the positive reviews everyone gave it. :D

Thanks for the heads up Technoviking. Since I'm petrified of screwing up my phone I always make sure to back up when trying out something new like the boot animation.

Yeah I learn much better visually as well Raw Dodge. I watched a video on how to install safestrap about 5 times before I finally grew some huevos and went through with it and installed it on my phone. LOL!! Thanks for the heads up on Cache Cleaner. I had no idea it was out on the market. Using it as I type!

Seriously thanks everyone. Your input goes a long way in putting us new guys at ease about going beyond just basic root and expanding our knowledge a bit more.

#18 shizumie

shizumie

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Google+:shizumie@gmail.com
  • LocationHortens, Ga
  • Current Device(s):DNA

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Lol nice to know bout rom tool box. Had it since d2 just didnt have it installed on rzr, didnt think it was working yet. Just threw up some new boot ani's! Thanks for the find.

Sliced by my blade on Tapatalk

Posted Image

#19 The Kid

The Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Hell yeah! I swear by rtb... I love how it has sliders for build.prop settings... makes a smooth transition to tweaking... better than manually editing the text in the file (and quicker too :D ) it is the #1 root app imho well worth the paid version... much love to jrummy for an awesome app!

jimmy is the best, have a problem just email him, he is fast to fix or to help
3.0 icsourcery GNex

#20 mattp427

mattp427

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:24 AM

Since were talking about the best apps, does anyone have the Rom Toolbox Pro .apk they'd like to share?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users