Photo

First Time Rooting And Cant Get My Droid Razr To Root.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:21 AM

Im between phones right now so im using my dads old droid razr but android 4.1.2 is so slow and i have a lot of trouble with apps crashing so i wanted to root it and rom it with something like cyanogen mod but when i went to their wiki i got confused and it didnt work. so i just tried this guide.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

but its not working either. i downloaded 2 root checker apps and both say it didnt work. ive tried 2 times now. all i want to do is get a new rom on it so its not so slow anymore but it doesnt work. Any help or guides would help.

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:46 AM

Root with safe root for Moto found here -

Then you will need safestrap to act as your custom recovery and the cm version that matches.

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:29 AM

Then you will need safestrap to act as your custom recovery and the cm version that matches.

sent from my G3

After Safestrap you lost me. i know almost nothing about rooting and roming phones so dumb it down a lot for me please. 

#4 ibolski

ibolski

Droid Master

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Twitter:iBolski
  • Google+:Ivan Samuelson
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Samsung Galaxy S7

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:34 AM

After Safestrap you lost me. i know almost nothing about rooting and roming phones so dumb it down a lot for me please. 

It can't get any more dumber than that. 

You say droid razr. Is it a Droid RAZR HD (XT926) or the original Droid RAZR (XT912)? Look on the back of the phone and tell us. If it's the XT912, you are in the wrong forum.

Also, if you look around in this forum, you will find "dumbed down" instructions. You just have to look. It's really not that hard. 

Look in the development forum for your phone's model.

VZW Samsung Galaxy S7 Stock and unrooted running Marshmallow 46A, 32gb Nexus 7 unlocked
2cqd4t2.png

#5 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:37 AM

Good catch ibolski. I think that happens because the xt912 section is harder to find being under legacy devices....

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#6 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:00 AM

It can't get any more dumber than that. 

You say droid razr. Is it a Droid RAZR HD (XT926) or the original Droid RAZR (XT912)? Look on the back of the phone and tell us. If it's the XT912, you are in the wrong forum.

Also, if you look around in this forum, you will find "dumbed down" instructions. You just have to look. It's really not that hard. 

Look in the development forum for your phone's model.

Its the original one. I didnt see a subforum for the original one. i must have missed it. 

Good catch ibolski. I think that happens because the xt912 section is harder to find being under legacy devices....

sent from my G3

That explains it. thanks. ill post this there. Oh it was moved already. thanks whoever did that :D

#7 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

sent from my G3

so will that still work with the original razr or just the newer ones?

#8 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

There are two methods to root the XT912 - one is Razr Blade the other is Moto Safe Root.  Razr Blade is a convoluted process, so since you are new to it, Moto Saferoot is easier.  It does not work on the Razr HD line.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#9 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

Just download, unzip and execute the run.bat file with your phone on, booted and usb connected.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#10 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:35 PM

There are two methods to root the XT912 - one is Razr Blade the other is Moto Safe Root.  Razr Blade is a convoluted process, so since you are new to it, Moto Saferoot is easier.  It does not work on the Razr HD line.

can you link me a download to moto safe root? i tried googling it but i cant find a DL.

#11 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:39 PM

How about the one I posted in #2 ????

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#12 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

How about the one I posted in #2 ????

sent from my G3

oh lol i didnt notice that was what you were talking about. so when i run the .bat and plug in my phone and let it do its thing it should be rooted right?

#13 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:07 PM

Yep

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#14 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Yep

sent from my G3

ok its rooted but i cant for the life of me figure out how to put a rom on it. I try to follow the instructions but either they dont work or i dont have a file they are talking about or i cant figure out how to do something. Ive tried AOKP ans Cyanogen Mod but i cant figure it out. i have to be doing something wrong or i dont understand how to do it. is there an easy way to do this or am i just dumb?

#15 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

Are you using safe strap? If not, here's a link to the thread. It's the only way you can use roms on the xt912.

[RECOVERY XT912] Safestrap Recovery v3.7x [05/15/2014 V3.73 - TWRP 2.7] sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#16 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Here is a link to cm11 on xda-

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#17 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Are you using safe strap? If not, here's a link to the thread. It's the only way you can use roms on the xt912.

[RECOVERY XT912] Safestrap Recovery v3.7x [05/15/2014 V3.73 - TWRP 2.7]sent from my G3

I had thought i did that but i must have forgotten it thanks. 

Here is a link to cm11 on xda-

sent from my G3

OK thanks. so what i do now is. Root (already done), Safestrap, Clockwork, ROM of my choice?

Sorry im so new at this. i thought it would be a lot easier than it is.

#18 RikRong

RikRong

Cap'n Slow

• Superuser
  • 2,117 posts
  • LocationNoDak
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 7

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

I had thought i did that but i must have forgotten it thanks.

OK thanks. so what i do now is. Root (already done), Safestrap, Clockwork, ROM of my choice?

Sorry im so new at this. i thought it would be a lot easier than it is.

Safestrap is the recovery you'll use. CWM is out of the picture since your boot loader can't be unlocked.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

R. Long: Pixel 5

#19 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

CWM recovery will not work on the xt912. Since the bootloader cannot be unlocked, you cannot use a true custom recovery. Just install safe strap, follow the instructions for installing your Rom of choice, like the cm11 I linked. Most of them explain how to install them inn the op's.

sent from my G3

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos

#20 joelthezombie

joelthezombie

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:20 PM

CWM recovery will not work on the xt912. Since the bootloader cannot be unlocked, you cannot use a true custom recovery. Just install safe strap, follow the instructions for installing your Rom of choice, like the cm11 I linked. Most of them explain how to install them inn the op's.

sent from my G3

Yup i think i got it. the cyanogenmod loading screen is turned on now but its taking a very long time to boot. is this normal for the first boot or did i mess it up? Either way thank you very much! I couldnt have done it without you and thanks for putting up with my dumb questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users