62 replies to this topic

#41 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:00 AM

I promise you your failure is not due to failing to temp unroot as I've never temp unrooted a RAZR (original or HD) and it hasn't caused me to fail a root restore. Not updating binaries or having a improper version of SU apk installed has though. The biggest reason I've seen failures is if you've rooted your phone but not gone into the SU apk and given it permission to use root itself before backing up your root it'll fail. This usually happens to those of us who are quickly going through and restoring to factory and rooting to get back to whence we came for whatever reason.

I made 100% sure to update my SU and my binaries prior to updating, as I was trying to avoid repeating my mistake from the last leak(on the first leak, I screwed up and had to redo it). The only thing I did differently is that I temp unrooted the second time....
Well, it may have been a fluke, I don't know...obviously you know better than I, but if you ask me, it doesn't hurt to do the unroot, just to be safe, seeing as it only takes half a second.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#42 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

I made 100% sure to update my SU and my binaries prior to updating, as I was trying to avoid repeating my mistake from the last leak(on the first leak, I screwed up and had to redo it). The only thing I did differently is that I temp unrooted the second time....
Well, it may have been a fluke, I don't know...obviously you know better than I, but if you ask me, it doesn't hurt to do the unroot, just to be safe, seeing as it only takes half a second.

Correct. It doesn't hurt but it doesn't help either :P. I don't want to give people false hope on a reason why something failed when it's unrelated. "Hey, your root restore failed because you didn't temp unroot before taking the update" is not a correct statement and is an incorrect diagnosis. That's the only point I was trying to make. I've been fighting this since the original RAZR and every time someone posts it I try to make a point to correct it so people can move on to find the real reason their root restore failed. Binaries, permissions, locations, etc.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#43 Brenardo

Brenardo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

Could you explain what the temp unroot feature is for on the Voodoo app if it is unnecessary?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

#44 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:18 AM

From the play store regarding OTA Rootkeeper:

** Temporary un-root statement **
This feature is designed for dev purposes in order to test their app with or without root.
The goal here is not to encourage stupid and unacceptable behaviors by movie or content sellers trying to prevent you to purchase or watch digital media you purchased if your device is rooted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basically the update process just overwrites files. It doesn't go seeking out other files unrelated to the update nuking them just to piss us off otherwise it would just seek out our backed up SU and blow it up with everything else. The unroot process was added to OTA Rootkeeper (and other similar apps) for diagnostic reasons and in some cases so that you could play back protected content. For a while it was true that you could not play back movies rented/purchased through the play store if you were on a rooted device so people would temporarily unroot to watch their content then re-root when they were done. This is no longer true.

Posted Image

#45 ianargent

ianargent

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:@ianargent

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

Is the update process referred to in the OP going to hard reset my device? (Yeah, I know, noob question. I'm ok with either answer, just want to know before taking the plunge).

#46 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:27 AM

Is the update process referred to in the OP going to hard reset my device? (Yeah, I know, noob question. I'm ok with either answer, just want to know before taking the plunge).

Nope. It's just an update.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD

Posted Image

#47 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

Worked good here! :), This was for a non root, Installed external SD, Copied file, Rebooted to recovery, cleared cache, installed the updated zip, reboot, and done :D, Had some app crashes on first boot, I powered down, turned back on, and all seems ok.. Hope this info help someone..

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#48 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:10 PM

Is there any hope of regaining root in my situation?
I have observed that if I run \system\usr\we-need-root\su-backup than the Android Terminal Emulator gains SU/ROOT.
Matt gave me some instructions (mentioned earlier in the thread) which produced no errors, but that didn't succeed in regaining root access.

#49 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Is there any hope of regaining root in my situation?
I have observed that if I run \system\usr\we-need-root\su-backup than the Android Terminal Emulator gains SU/ROOT.
Matt gave me some instructions (mentioned earlier in the thread) which produced no errors, but that didn't succeed in regaining root access.

Roll back to ICS (Requires wipe) and do it again. Bout it. There are no known root methods for JB

Posted Image

#50 TweakedSystems

TweakedSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Will the work on my razr maxx?
Thx :)
Posted Image

#51 NattyBee

NattyBee

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

Will the work on my razr maxx?
Thx

Not unless your RAZR Maxx is a RAZR Maxx HD...sorry

#52 TweakedSystems

TweakedSystems

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Not unless your RAZR Maxx is a RAZR Maxx HD...sorry

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just have to wait wait wait :(
Posted Image

#53 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

the first one didn't work. it's definitely the "/system/usr/we-need-root" path..
Anyway, the first command in the second set of steps produced a requesting ROOT ACCESS prompt.
the rest of the commands run w/o any errors than I rebooted. i still didn't have root access.
i went into the super user app and tried to update the su binary. it shows that it's copying the su binary to /system/xbin/su
is that the correct path?

Try in xbin then.

/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup

mount
-o rw,remount -t ext4 /dev/block/system /system

cp
/system/usr/we-need-root/su-backup /system/xbin/su

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#54 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Has anyone got this update on the west coast?

#55 Rhubarb

Rhubarb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

I was unsuccessful in regaining root so i rolled back to ICS and tried again.
As NattyBee, I did the temp unroot prior to installing the JB OTA update and all is well! i have Jelly Beans and root!
thank you for the help everyone!

#56 McIrish2

McIrish2

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

I installed this update and I have to say that so far I'm not liking it at all. The desk clock function is no longer there. Notification LED stopped working and speed dial no longer works. I tried a reboot a couple times and still the same. Its a shame. It runs pretty smooth but they took away features that I use every day. Maybe I need to nuke the phone and reload it. I'd hate to have to start all over again. Its time consuming.

#57 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

I installed this update and I have to say that so far I'm not liking it at all. The desk clock function is no longer there. Notification LED stopped working and speed dial no longer works. I tried a reboot a couple times and still the same. Its a shame. It runs pretty smooth but they took away features that I use every day. Maybe I need to nuke the phone and reload it. I'd hate to have to start all over again. Its time consuming.

Try a factory restore before you go back to ICS. It's resolved a lot of my issues. Going back to ICS is going to require a wipe anyway so it's worth a shot before you go through all that work.

Posted Image

#58 b_wat

b_wat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Google+:bwatkins232@gmail.com
  • LocationKnoxville,Tn

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

If you did a FDR after installing this wouldn't you lose the ability to restore root?

#59 swannyb

swannyb

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

Worked perfectly following the original instructions.

#60 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

If you did a FDR after installing this wouldn't you lose the ability to restore root?

Nope. Once super user is in place and granted proper permissions it becomes part of the system. Doing a fdr via the settings screen will not get rid of it. However if you use matts util or rsd it will wipe the system partition thus breaking your root.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users