Photo

[Solved] Bootloader Unlocked XT926 appears as XT1080?

XT926 Unlocked Bootloader

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:15 AM

Anyone with a bootloader unlocked XT926 on stock Android notice Google Play store recognizes the phone as an XT1080?  Perhaps this was covered at some point, however I've been unable to come up with anything from searching the site (it could very well be I'm not using the correct search parameters).

I only noticed this today when I went to update my 2 factor authentication for Microsoft and downloaded the new Microsoft Account app on my PC.

#2 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Usually, that is a rom issue, not the fact that it is unlocked.

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#3 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

It's on stock Android...

#4 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:44 AM

Hmm, ok

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#5 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

Hmm, ok

It doesn't bother me, I simply found it curious...

#6 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

Have you installed apps such as lucky patcher that allow you to change the way you device appears to the play store?

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#7 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:22 AM

Have you installed apps such as lucky patcher that allow you to change the way you device appears to the play store?

I don't think so, although I think I may have one app installed that has that as an additional feature option that I've never had any reason to mess with.

I can see in the ridiculously long list of devices google keeps that my phone prior to unlocking the bootloader was registered as an XT926 (mid July).  I can't confirm with 100% assurance that unlocking the bootloader caused this anomaly, as today was the first time in months I had used my PC to install an app from the Play Store; however, I do know the timeline matches up, as I unlocked my bootloader within a few weeks of it being discovered the exploited code was put back into the KitKat update.  It could just be a coincidence, and I could care less what my phone registers as in Google Play, but I found it curious and was wondering if anyone else had seen this occur before

#8 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

I don't think so, although I think I may have one app installed that has that as an additional feature option that I've never had any reason to mess with.

I can see in the ridiculously long list of devices google keeps that my phone prior to unlocking the bootloader was registered as an XT926 (mid July).  I can't confirm with 100% assurance that unlocking the bootloader caused this anomaly, as today was the first time in months I had used my PC to install an app from the Play Store; however, I do know the timeline matches up, as I unlocked my bootloader within a few weeks of it being discovered the exploited code was put back into the KitKat update.  It could just be a coincidence, and I could care less what my phone registers as in Google Play, but I found it curious and was wondering if anyone else had seen this occur before

I have two xt-926m's both unlocked and stock except for exposed framework installed.  I have not seen that issue at all.  One other thing to think about is some one has gotten access to your registered email and using that to access your playstore account. Just a thought

#9 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:57 AM

I have two xt-926m's both unlocked and stock except for exposed framework installed.  I have not seen that issue at all.  One other thing to think about is some one has gotten access to your registered email and using that to access your playstore account. Just a thought

That was my first thought, except if I select the XT1080 as the device to install to, my XT926 is where the the app is downloaded and installed to.

EDIT:  Reviewing my device history shows the device as "No Carrier" in mid-september, which is when I received my replacement XT926 from VZW that I subsequently unlocked the bootloader on prior to inserting my sim and activating the phone.  I was having some odd issues and couldn't nail down the source, so I backed up everything and did a factory reset on Sat 10/18.  Once that completed and I set up my Google account, the XT926 registered itself as an XT1080 with Google.  

I've attached a PDF printout that shows the "No Carrier" listing as well as the XT1080 listing on my Dashboard page, as well as uploaded it to OneDrive in case anyone has issues viewing the PDF attachment: 

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Attached Files

#10 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,370 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:51 AM

Show us a screen shot of your about phone....I have a sneaking suspicion.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#11 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,370 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:53 AM

(While he's doing that, I'll tell others what's most likely going on here.  "Someone" in this thread most likely used the latest wifi hotspot hack.  When he shows us the screen show and it shows the device is an xt1080 we'll ask the question of what mods they've made to stock android recently.  Anyone wanna guess?  :D)

• RikRong likes this

#12 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

(While he's doing that, I'll tell others what's most likely going on here.  "Someone" in this thread most likely used the latest wifi hotspot hack.  When he shows us the screen show and it shows the device is an xt1080 we'll ask the question of what mods they've made to stock android recently.  Anyone wanna guess?   :D)

LOL that would explain it... my bad ;)

• SamuriHL and johnthehillbilly like this

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

My first thought was one of the "play store hacks/patches"

Didn't think of the new WiFi hack....

jhf.png

#14 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,370 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

LOL that would explain it... my bad ;)

LMAO ;)  I only know about this cause someone on another forum had this problem and that turned out to be the cause.  And they swore up and down they were "completely stock"....well, except for that wifi hotspot hack that originated on the xt1080...but that couldn't possibly have changed anything.  ROFL :)  In any case, yes, that changes your build.properties file and is the cause of your issue.

• jw0914 likes this

#15 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 20 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

Like jonthehillbilly, I would never have thought the cause would be the hotspot hack.  It makes total sense when you think about it, but never even occurred to me lol

#16 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,370 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

It took me a while to figure it out in the other case, too, cause I had NO FREAKING CLUE about the new wifi hack.  But yes indeed, that's what it turned out to be.  Apparently they pulled some files from the xt1080 and the build prop file is one of them.  So, just be aware of that if strange updates start showing up on your phone.  I'd not take them.  ;)  (Yes, that's technically possible.  No it'd not install)

• johnthehillbilly likes this

#17 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:06 AM

Indeed....... Just remember, anything that modifys the "build.prop" file.... Can/will change the way your phone operates and the way your phone is "seen" by other places
  • jw0914 likes this

jhf.png

#18 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:10 AM

It took me a while to figure it out in the other case, too, cause I had NO FREAKING CLUE about the new wifi hack.  But yes indeed, that's what it turned out to be.  Apparently they pulled some files from the xt1080 and the build prop file is one of them.  So, just be aware of that if strange updates start showing up on your phone.  I'd not take them.   ;)  (Yes, that's technically possible.  No it'd not install)

I stopped accepting pushed updates after it became apparent VZW was going to tie up loose ends every time an exploit is found by preventing users from flashing backwards to the previous firmware. I have been getting random notifications that an update is available ever since the hotspot hack, and realized after you told me to screenshot the About Phone it's not showing information for an XT926 (System Version, Build number, and Build Date are all wrong).  

EDIT: I should have been a bit more detailed about what I meant by "stock" Android... I edited it after the first comment, as I realized I should have specified if I was running a custom ROM or stock firmware. At least I now know in the future to accompany that information with whatever system file tweaks I've performed.

• SamuriHL, shane1 and TALLYWACKER like this

#19 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:50 AM

Does anyone know if the modified build.prop would also cause google now/google search to not recognize voice? If I attempt to search by voice with either service, I get an error that says "Can't reach Google right now", but if you type, now/search works fine. This has been going on for several months and I can't remember if it started before or after doing the hot spot hack.

Doing a google search turns up a lot of results but no clear indication from users or Google what's causing the issue. I've done a factory reset, which didn't solve the issue, and its not my google account (as it worked fine on the Note 4 prior to my returning it). I haven't undone the hotspot hack and replaced the modified build.prop with the original backup yet (of which it occurs to me I probably should have tried before posting this), mainly because it appears end users are having this issue on a myriad or devices, and while some are able to solve it, others are not, and no one seems sure what's causing it. I have also deleted the cache and uninstalled Google Search, then reinstalled it, only to have the same issue occur. It could be there's something else I may need to uninstall/reinstall, just not sure what.

If this isn't due to the modified build.prop from the XT1080, then I'll create a new thread for this specific issue on this device, but I figured I should probably ask here first on the off chance it is due to the modified build.prop.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users