#1 eyecre8

eyecre8

Mod/News Team Leader

• 108 posts
  • Google+:eyecre8
  • LocationOhio/Florida
  • Current Device(s):2 Razr's (xt912) & Asus TF700T

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Recently reported, a one-click-nasty has surfaced for Samsung Android phones.

Methods of infection include:
  • NFC-enabled mobile phone , if it touches a rogue NFC tag you're infected
  • If an android phone scans a malicious QR code
  • A user acts upon a fake service message
  • Attackers can include the malicious message in a text messages, e-mails, and even twitter posts

Infection occurs by simply opening a website containing an HTML tag for a call function, and replacing the telephone number with the USSD code for a factory reset. USSD codes are commands that are executed by entering them in your keypad—for instance if you dial #*#INFO"*" you can access certain menu settings. For every Samsung phone running Touchwiz, there's a unique set of USSD codes that performs various commands. One the page is rendered, your phone is wiped and/or your SIM card killed. *gulp*

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

12.04KB   60 downloads

But is it limited to just Samsungs? Ongoing research is leaning to no.

Fortunately the vulnerability is limited to particular models and specific version releases.
Samsung claims that they have fixed the USSD/MMI code issues in their latest edition to the Galaxy series, Galaxy S3. According to a statement by Samsung They have already released a firmware update for some of their phones. However, Android users other than Samsung may still be vulnerable to this virus as other companies are unlikely or slow to send a firmware update for their users.

“We would like to assure customers that the recent security issue affecting the Galaxy S III has already been addressed in a software update. We believe this issue was isolated to early production devices, and devices currently available are not affected by this issue. To ensure customers are fully protected, Samsung advises checking for software updates through the ‘Settings: About device: Software update’ menu. We are in the process of evaluating other Galaxy models.”

The origin of this virus appears to have sprang forth from a recent discovery:

Samsung Galaxy S III secret USSD reset code discovered

Security team discovers secret USSD command that completely wipes Samsung devices in under three seconds......The USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) code is a protocol used by GSM telephones to communicate with the service provider's computers for configuring the phone. The security team has also shown a USSD code that can be used to wipe the SIM card from the Samsung S III leaving the user with a very expensive plastic brick for a handset. It's not just the Samsung S III that is affected, the code also wipes the Galaxy Beam, S Advance, Galaxy Ace and Galaxy S II. Although it does not wipe the Galaxy Nexus tablet.

More information can be found here:

As most manufacturers are slow to issue firmware updates and many phone models are not supported anymore they will probably remain vulnerable.
Because of this, an app was created called TelStop that blocks the attack by registering a secondary "tel:" URI handler.
When TelStop is installed and the phone encounters a "tel:" URI, the user is presented with a dialog to choose between TelStop and the regular dialer. If TelStop is chosen, the application will reveal the content of the "tel:" URI and will display a warning if the content is likely to be malicious
App download here:

Security Researcher Ravi Borgaonkar created a test that lets you check if your Android device is vulnerable.
Click on the following link from your phone. If you can see your IMEI, (as in the photo below) you're vulnerable.
Url to test:

58.2KB   76 downloads

Via:

• Bologna likes this
My name is Eyecre8 and I approve this message!
Posted Image

#2 Kebob

Kebob

Dev

• Developer
  • 246 posts
  • Google+:kebob.rzr@gmail.com
  • LocationWashington

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

This can affect Droid razr users also. I just tested it on my razr og and it returned the Imei in other words its vulnerable and I suggest EVERYONE that values their Og Razr/maxx to get this app.
  • eek88dj likes this

#3 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I guess all I can say is; where are all the Microsoft bashers now? Sadly, security holes exist in every OS. And now that Android has climbed it's way to the top of the totem pole...........
  • eyecre8 likes this

#4 kbuck13

kbuck13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Just wondering did Apple produce the code? Just saying it started with the Samsung phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#5 Kebob

Kebob

Dev

• Developer
  • 246 posts
  • Google+:kebob.rzr@gmail.com
  • LocationWashington

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

It really would not surprise me if they did. Apple is doing anything to get ahead of the competition.

#6 jrbxx7

jrbxx7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

App works as described on my maxx.

SeNt FrOm .......OvErFlAsHeD SPYDER Xt912
GOT KRACKFLASHING?

#7 jimboslice

jimboslice

Droid Master

• Developer
  • 315 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

My maxx HD is safe. Imei didn't come up

#8 tailland

tailland

German Dachshund :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGER
  • Current Device(s):Razr XT910 (Maxxed)

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

Nou nou nou...

Moto itself has presented us with a tool which handles these threats very well...
  • PillClinton and eyecre8 like this

My phone: Motorola Razr GSM XT910 "Maxxed" - Running stock JB 4.1.2 @ Lightning Launcher + Zooper Widgets PRO

#9 subzero2000

subzero2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:59 PM

avast! Mobile Security

also registers a secondary tel: protocol handler that catches this, warning you and not allowing it to succeed.

• eyecre8 likes this

#10 mind game

mind game

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

I clicked the test link and my IMEI didn't show up just the dialer with the code, I assume I'm safe? I'm on an original droid so each must be different? Or the ROM I'm on loll.

I'm thinking about downloading the Motorola application though.

But to be clear, this will only factory reset your phone or burn your sim?

#11 DSomers82

DSomers82

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Twitter:dsomers82
  • LocationLakes Region NH

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

Web root security also blocked it for me where it has a block on phone calls made outside of the dialer

#12 subzero2000

subzero2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

Lookout Security & Antivirus

also registers a secondary tel: protocol handler that will deal with this, but it displays both Continue and Cancel buttons, with Continue allowing the action to succeed anyway.

• eyecre8 likes this

#13 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:58 AM

I'm really not convinced that this is limited to samsung android phones.... apparently this rogue script running around is accessing systems on the phone that is not specific to Android (i.e. "dial codes" ).. and this essentially puts everyone at risk regardless if you have apple, windows, android, or non-smartphone and regardless of brand name or carrier....... especially being that it can be deployed in multiple ways....

sent from my DROID RAZR tapadriving ...
  • eyecre8 likes this

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#14 osnoozeo

osnoozeo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:47 AM

In recent yrs. We've seen codes, stealing info, destroying files, n so on. ... But this kinda takes the cake, sounds more like a inside job

#15 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:48 AM

Hmmmm... user action required I assume? As with many viruses, common sense and a good call/text blocker should keep you relatively safe.

My cell confirms Lookout security/AV asks to scan first or complete action using dialer. So anyone in their right mind should suspect that visiting a website that asks to dial in isn't a good thing.
Posted Image

#16 subzero2000

subzero2000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

Hmmmm... user action required I assume? As with many viruses, common sense and a good call/text blocker should keep you relatively safe. My cell confirms Lookout security/AV asks to scan first or complete action using dialer. So anyone in their right mind should suspect that visiting a website that asks to dial in isn't a good thing.

Actually, for the most part, no user action required at all if using the default dialer. Last night, I tested two Droid RAZR MAXX's (my wife's stock non-rooted 6.16.211, and mine on 6.16.215 running Droid HD ROM 1.1), one LG Ally (stock), and one Sony Xperia Play. The only one that did not dial the code was the LG Ally; all of them invoked the dialer, and all of them processed the USSD code *#06#; the LG Ally required one to hit the dial button on the dialer, but that was it. The rest all dialed it automatically on the stock dialer just by visiting the page.

This morning, I had a colleague with an iPhone 4S on iOS 6+ (not sure exact version), and the *#06# test worked on it as well; visited site, USSD code dialed. So this is related to vendor's handling of USSD codes in tel: protocol URLs, and not just an Android issue. The trick is in finding the right USSD code for the device you want to mess with, but testing proves that if the code for a device exists, then theoretically it's possible on more than just Android devices. Oh joy.

#17 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Actually, for the most part, no user action required at all if using the default dialer. Last night, I tested two Droid RAZR MAXX's (my wife's stock non-rooted 6.16.211, and mine on 6.16.215 running Droid HD ROM 1.1), one LG Ally (stock), and one Sony Xperia Play. The only one that did not dial the code was the LG Ally; all of them invoked the dialer, and all of them processed the USSD code *#06#; the LG Ally required one to hit the dial button on the dialer, but that was it. The rest all dialed it automatically on the stock dialer just by visiting the page.

This morning, I had a colleague with an iPhone 4S on iOS 6+ (not sure exact version), and the *#06# test worked on it as well; visited site, USSD code dialed. So this is related to vendor's handling of USSD codes in tel: protocol URLs, and not just an Android issue. The trick is in finding the right USSD code for the device you want to mess with, but testing proves that if the code for a device exists, then theoretically it's possible on more than just Android devices. Oh joy.

Tested my cell with "complete action using dialer" and it did bring up the code on dialer but it didn't automatically dial it. I would have had to do it manually.

Running OG Rzr iKream AOKP STOCK JB 3.2 using Lookout
Posted Image

#18 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I recommend that everyone gets their favorite "protection " in place...... i have the one from Motorola (that was linked to earlier) .... when you click on the test link.... it askes for action BEFORE automatically "dialing" the code.... that should help stop this thing..... or at least slow it down untill we (the whole community) can maybe find a way to squash it entirely....

• eyecre8 likes this

jhf.png

#19 tailland

tailland

German Dachshund :)

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGER
  • Current Device(s):Razr XT910 (Maxxed)

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

I mean.. don't you remember ? The USSD vulnerability was largely talked about 2 months ago ... and no conscious user action is required when the tel: protocol is activated for example in website frames or in QR codes... browsing the site or fotografing the code is sufficient to immediately get the internal dialer activated and that's it.

To my knowledge, all android versions before JB were in danger - so be clever, get a 2nd protocol handler installed.

My phone: Motorola Razr GSM XT910 "Maxxed" - Running stock JB 4.1.2 @ Lightning Launcher + Zooper Widgets PRO

#20 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

I had completely forgotten about it.... untill now... lol

Maybe thats why i actively avoid scanning qr codes.....:)
  • eyecre8 likes this

jhf.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Samsung Galaxy Virus, USSD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users