JustAGuy

This is only a test

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Z300M, Nexus 7

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:06 PM

Kids these days.   :rolleyes  You keep both twrp and stock recovery img's on your internal memory.  Then use flashify to switch between them if you want to flash it for whatever reason.

I've had an unlocked bootloader for around two years (S3, N5 and N7) and had either CWR or TWRP loaded. I have no need for the stock recovery in daily use. TBH I mostly used recovery for flashing ROMs and doing Nandroid back ups. And lately,  loading all them SuperSu updates. :p

But ya, I've got ROM Toolbox Pro that can do flashing like that.

Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Samsung GS3, Bionic, OG Droid, SCH-i760, a flip phone or two, and a few others.

#22 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Wait, you got RTP to install???  HOW?  I get an error every time I try to install it on the NX6.  And my thought is I'd rather have stock recovery in case some rogue OTA update magically gets put out while I'm out and about.  :D  

Non potest esse nisi unus

#23 JustAGuy

JustAGuy

This is only a test

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Z300M, Nexus 7

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

Wait, you got RTP to install???  HOW?  I get an error every time I try to install it on the NX6.  And my thought is I'd rather have stock recovery in case some rogue OTA update magically gets put out while I'm out and about.   :D

Do you have Terminal Emulator loaded?

I was getting a 505 error when I tried loading RTB on the N6 (no problems on the N5 though). Apparently it used the same rights (or something like that), so I uninstalled it and was able to get RTB running.

There might be other app that are bundled in RTB that would cause it too.

Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Samsung GS3, Bionic, OG Droid, SCH-i760, a flip phone or two, and a few others.

#24 perfoliate

perfoliate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

Just to add my two cents. On the Nexus 4 you could still take an OTA with a non-stock recovery, as long as the system was in tact you were good. I wonder how that will fly on the Nexus 6?

#25 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Do you have Terminal Emulator loaded?

I was getting a 505 error when I tried loading RTB on the N6 (no problems on the N5 though). Apparently it used the same rights (or something like that), so I uninstalled it and was able to get RTB running.

There might be other app that are bundled in RTB that would cause it too.

Oh ffs, I know what the problem is then.  EVERYONE needs to update their damn apps for 5.0 to stop this from happening.  Lovely.

#26 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Just to add my two cents. On the Nexus 4 you could still take an OTA with a non-stock recovery, as long as the system was in tact you were good. I wonder how that will fly on the Nexus 6?

It's not a good idea on any device to do that.  Yes, it "works" sometimes.  But with great risk involved.  It's always better to use stock recovery for an OTA.

#27 jayrod

jayrod

Bacon, Cheese & Mod Connoisseur

• 6,525 posts
  • LocationWilmington NC
  • Current Device(s):Taimen

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:33 PM

Wait, you got RTP to install??? HOW? I get an error every time I try to install it on the NX6. And my thought is I'd rather have stock recovery in case some rogue OTA update magically gets put out while I'm out and about. :D

It carried over from my X..

Sent from a whale named Shamu

Attached Files

#28 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,446 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:09 PM

Thread is obsolete.  Killing it now.