House of Nexus [3.0]

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#461 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

Just discovered My Pixel 2 doesn't like my new anker cable (usb c to usb) I went back to my old motorola razr maxx hd cable and used one of the new anker usb micro to usb c adapters and all the weird little things just went away.

• johnlgalt and SamuriHL like this

#462 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

I bought 3 of these cables from Monoprice, 3 ft length and black, for P2XL connectivity to my desktop and laptop.  Work like a champ.  https://www.monopric...&seq=1&format=2 (Connected to my aging computer's USB3 ports and I have full access to my phone via both MTP and PTP, and it charges off that as well).

I also bought 2 of these for charging (so as to save the original cable for later) and future proofing, when my machine actually has a USB C 3.1 plug (next machine I build that is lol):  https://www.monopric...&seq=1&format=2 (I'm using one of these for charging right now and it works perfectly fine).

I've just ordered a second Google 18V charger as well.

Finally, I also ordered a pair of these as well (for longer charging length, more than anything else):  https://www.monopric...&seq=1&format=2

Well, if they don't release the OTA for DP2 --> Final soon, I figure this weekend I will be leaving the ßeta program, and then flashing it myself.  I'll get to test HoN then, I'm sure :p

• SamuriHL and spainter like this

#463 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:38 PM

Second set of cables have arrived.  Love the longer length for the C 2 C cables, and about to test the USB 3.1 Gen 2 A 2 C cable on a fresh install of Windows (yes, I remembered to install the USB3 drivers this time!)

• SamuriHL and spainter like this

#464 Sabres032

Sabres032

Large and in charge EMS minion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA
  • Current Device(s):Google Pixel 2 XL

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

Did Google mess with something again? I clean installed the Dec 8.1 factory image and locked my bootloader. Had to because of work. Now I'm trying to sideload the Jan 5 OTA with HoN 2.9 and it keeps failing. Screen shot attached. 

Attached File  HoN 209.JPG   83.15KB   7 downloads

Just to verify the latest adb and fastboot are working properly I took these steps.

1) Opened administrator command prompt at the HoN TOOLS folder, ran adb devices and device showed up.

2) Ran adb reboot bootloader and device rebooted to bootloader.

3) Ran fastboot devices and device showed up.

4) Rebooted to system, re verified by running adb devices from same command prompt and device showed up.

5) Re-ran HoN with same result.

6) Powered down device and removed USB cable. 

7) Manually booted device to bootloader and plugged device into USB..

8) Open administrator command prompt at the HoN Tools folder, ran fastboot devices and device device showed up.

9) Toggled to recovery and entered.

10) Ran adb devices from same command prompt and no device is listed. 

I was able to sideload the OTA in October and November but not now. So I went a step further and uninstalled any and all instances of mine and my wife's device. Plugged my N6P into USB and let the computer do it's thing. Re verified adb and fastboot are working with above steps and everything worked. Tried to sideload the OTA with HoN  and again it failed. Manually rebooted to stock recovery, adb devices and again the device didn't show. 

Wiped HoN from my system, re-downloaded HoN 2.9 with latest tools and tried the sideload OTA again. Again it failed and again, from stock recovery the device will not show aftr running adb devices. Just to be through I tried adb devices, while in stock recovery from the powershell window with same result, no device attached. I have no clue why this is happening and it's pretty frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Edit: Running latest version of Windows 10 on wife's HP laptop. 

• johnlgalt likes this

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

Sent from my Marine World N6 or my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi I'll let you figure out which.

#465 Sabres032

Sabres032

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

OK, going further into this problem. My wife's laptop recognizes my device when plugged into USB booted in, system and bootloader. When I boot to stock recovery and plug into USB, computer does not recognize a device was plugged in. So, the problem is isolated to stock recovery at least. Still have no clue how to proceed but I at least have it narrowed down to one thing. 

• johnlgalt likes this

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

Sent from my Marine World N6 or my Nexus 7 2013 WiFi I'll let you figure out which.

#466 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,372 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

The phone needs to be in ADB side load mode in recovery before it'll be detected.  And then sometimes you have to force windows to recognize that particular adb bridge.  It can be a pain in the ass, but, the issue is it's not seeing your phone.  Also the message about different versions of adb is concerning.  Make sure the TOOLS dir in HoN is updated with the latest platform tools and only use the adb from that version (if you're, e.g. rebooting to recovery using adb).

• johnlgalt and spainter like this

Non potest esse nisi unus

#467 Sabres032

Sabres032

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

The phone needs to be in ADB side load mode in recovery before it'll be detected.  And then sometimes you have to force windows to recognize that particular adb bridge.  It can be a pain in the rear end, but, the issue is it's not seeing your phone.  Also the message about different versions of adb is concerning.  Make sure the TOOLS dir in HoN is updated with the latest platform tools and only use the adb from that version (if you're, e.g. rebooting to recovery using adb).

1) Using HoN I do select apply update from adb before pressing a key to continue. Then press a key and it errors. 

2) according to the Google OTA page it says to run adb devices after selecting apply update from adb and device should appear with sideload, mine doesn't. 

3) How would I be able to force windows to recognize the adb bridge?

4) I'll try and download HoN and extract the latest platform tools to the folder again.  

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

#468 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:02 AM

Yea, that's a driver issue.  HoN can't fix that.  Basically put the thing in sideload mode in recovery, attach it to the machine, and go into device manager.  It will probably show up as a yellow ! in there.  You can try having it search automatically for a driver.  I've rarely found that to work.  Usually I have to go grab the USB driver from google and manually point the stupid thing at that driver to get it to work.

#469 Sabres032

Sabres032

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

Yea, that's a driver issue.  HoN can't fix that.  Basically put the thing in sideload mode in recovery, attach it to the machine, and go into device manager.  It will probably show up as a yellow ! in there.  You can try having it search automatically for a driver.  I've rarely found that to work.  Usually I have to go grab the USB driver from google and manually point the stupid thing at that driver to get it to work.

Are you speaking of the Google Universal Driver? 

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

#470 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:10 AM

Yes

#471 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

This does get to be a PITA sometimes.  I usually have no issues with the auto-magically found driver, but that was with my N6.  I'll play with my Taimen today and se if I can get it working as well.

Using HoN and the latest drivers and platform tools, I should be able to flash the OTA onto my phone (assuming it will generate a script to sideload it, correct?) without unlocking anything at all, right?

• spainter likes this

#472 Sabres032

Sabres032

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

So I put the device into stock recovery, selected apply from adb, plugged my device into USB and nothing happened. On a whim I tried a different USB port and the laptop recognized the device. Ran adb devices and device appeared with sideload showing. Why would adb commands work in system but not recovery in one port but fully function in a different port? 

• spainter likes this

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

#473 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

This does get to be a PITA sometimes.  I usually have no issues with the auto-magically found driver, but that was with my N6.  I'll play with my Taimen today and se if I can get it working as well.

Using HoN and the latest drivers and platform tools, I should be able to flash the OTA onto my phone (assuming it will generate a script to sideload it, correct?) without unlocking anything at all, right?

In theory

#474 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

So I put the device into stock recovery, selected apply from adb, plugged my device into USB and nothing happened. On a whim I tried a different USB port and the laptop recognized the device. Ran adb devices and device appeared with sideload showing. Why would adb commands work in system but not recovery in one port but fully function in a different port? 

Welcome to Windows.

#475 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

In theory

Well, since I haven't received the OTA, time to get crack-flashing.

From Taimen, with Tapatalk.

• spainter likes this

#476 Sabres032

Sabres032

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

Re-downloaded HoN 2.9, platform tools and the OTA file. All hashes verified. Set up HoN, plugged device into the the "fully" working USB port and the update went off without a hitch. 

Sam, I still had the adb server version (36) does not match the client (39)killing.......  warning as before but, the update was successful.Not entirely sure what the hell is going on there. 

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

#477 Sabres032

Sabres032

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationWayward USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:49 AM

Welcome to Windows.

LMAO!!!!

Well, since I haven't received the OTA, time to get crack-flashing.

From Taimen, with Tapatalk.

Good luck... 

IMG_12705794666508.jpeg

#478 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Re-downloaded HoN 2.9, platform tools and the OTA file. All hashes verified. Set up HoN, plugged device into the the "fully" working USB port and the update went off without a hitch. 

Sam, I still had the adb server version (36) does not match the client (39)killing.......  warning as before but, the update was successful.Not entirely sure what the hell is going on there. 

Strange.  Not sure what's up with that, either. As long as it all worked then it's all good.

#479 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

LMAO!!!!

Good luck... 

The answer is truly Windows, though.  It's about device enumeration in device manager.  ADB Debug in system is *NOT* the same as ADB sideload.  It's considered a separately enumerated device.  But because it's literally the same hardware, Windows gets...."confused" from time to time.  When you switch the USB port, it gets a different device address which Windows then goes "oh, hey, I should load a driver for that."  It's freaking stupid.

#480 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Location3rd Rock

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

The answer is truly Windows, though.  It's about device enumeration in device manager.  ADB Debug in system is *NOT* the same as ADB sideload.  It's considered a separately enumerated device.  But because it's literally the same hardware, Windows gets...."confused" from time to time.  When you switch the USB port, it gets a different device address which Windows then goes "oh, hey, I should load a driver for that."  It's freaking stupid.

Sounds similar to what happened when I connected my Taimen to my computer using a USB BT dongle - connected perfectly fine the first time - but after disconnecting, it refuses to connect again.  It has gotten confused about the phone lol.

• spainter likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users