I'm a noob to ROM's and this forum as well. I have 2 xt926's, one was a replacement(aka New phone) for the first one that went swimming and died. I took my "destroyed" one(aka Test phone) apart and swapped battery's with the new one and it works again so I now have a test/learning phone to work with.
My new phone is not rooted and the bootloader is still locked. It is running the OTA update to 4.4.3. Ever since the KK update, my bluetooth rarely works, and it seems so laggy in general. I hate it!
My test phone quit working last winter when it had 4.0.4 on it. Yesterday I swapped batteries, rooted, unlocked the bootloader and renamed the \system\etc\install-recovery.sh to \system\etc\install-recovery.sh.bak just in case.
The following is the system info for the test phone :
System version - 0.6.25.xt926.Verison.en.US
Android Version - 4.0.4
Baseband Version - Vanquish_BP_1045.711.53.209
Kernel Version - 3.0.8-00039-g4115276
Build Number - 7.7.1Q-144_VQW_S334-25
Build Date - Sep 15 2012
I unlocked it using motopocalypse and rooted using motofail2go.
My end game is to have lollipop or any 5.0 ROMs on the phone.
My questions are:
1. What is the easiest way to upgrade it from 4.0.4 to 5.0.x, in noob terms. I have a strong background in C++ but that was 10 years ago. Now I repair radio hardware(VHF)
2. I know i will need TWRP, what version/build number should i use.
3. I don't have a full understanding of the lingo yet, when I see "KK BL" does that stand for KitKat BootLoader?
4. I installed Android Studios for fastboot and adb. I also saw they were in the motopacolypse folder. Did i really need to install Android Studios?
5. Can you compose a flow chart of the upgrading process, from rooting phone in 4.0.4 to completing upgrade to 5.x.x
6. Should i keep my SIM card and SD card in while I'm updating?
7. What are some good tips to keep in mind?
8. what is a good site for learning more about developing/modding ROMs and APPs.
Thank you very much for any info you guys can help me out with. I'd love to get back into hobby programming and learn as well as understand a new system.