30 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

Posted Image

Motorola has recently expanded the number of devices that allow developers to unlock the bootloader and allow customization of the software image.
Motorola XOOM™ Wi-Fi and UMTS devices equipped with an unlockable bootloader are currently available in several regions. Now we’ve added a smartphone to the mix:

• In Europe, the Motorola RAZR™ Developer Edition is now available for pre-order through the

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• In the U.S., we plan to make an unlockable developer device available through MOTODEV in the coming months. Keep an eye on the

for updates.
IMPORTANT

Motorola strongly encourages you to thoroughly review the

so that you fully understand the risks and consequences of unlocking the bootloader. Motorola strongly recommends against altering a product's operating system, which includes the rooting of a device, unlocking the bootloader or running any operating software other than the approved versions issued by Motorola and its partners. Certain functions in your phone might cease to work. You may also damage your phone permanently. Unlocking the bootloader may cause your device to be unsafe and/or cause it to malfunction resulting in physical injuries or significant damage. Developer editions sold with an unlockable bootloader are sold "as is" with no warranty. Any other device which has had its bootloader unlocked, or whose operating system has been altered, including any failed attempts to unlock the bootloader or alter such operating system, are not covered by Motorola's warranty.

about the risks associated with unlocking the bootloader.

We are continuing to explore the possibility of offering additional devices with unlockable bootloaders in the future, in other markets across the globe, as allowed by our carrier and regulatory obligations.

The phone is now able to be pre-ordered for 499 Euros for the European GSM/UTMS XT910 Motorola Razr, and the U.S. variant will be coming up in "the comings months" through the MOTODEV program.

According to the

:

This Phone will be sold without any warranty!

• adlx likes this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 adlx

adlx

Developer

• Developer
  • 34 posts
  • Twitter:adumont
  • LocationMadrid, SPain

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

I guess it's time I publish my CWM Recovery v5.0.2.7 then :-)

EDIT: I just did:

• mattlgroff likes this
Phones: Motorola RAZR UMTS XT910, HTC Chacha, Atrix (hard bricked), Defy, 2 Dext, CliqXT, GeeksPhone One

#3 quadjacks

quadjacks

THE 4 of us!

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Twitter:@quadjacks
  • LocationFort Drum, NY
  • Current Device(s):Maxx HD

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

So what does this mean for the average user, well simi semi power user, like me?
Any FAA meetings in my area? Flash Addicts Anonymous~God is Luv~

#4 nix80908

nix80908

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Twitter:nix80908
  • LocationDenver, CO - USA

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:46 AM

It means that if you want an unlocked bootloader, when available in the US - it's totally possible..... BUT you have to buy a new phone, not under warrenty.

#5 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

It means that if you want an unlocked bootloader, when available in the US - it's totally possible..... BUT you have to buy a new phone, not under warrenty.

+1
All we can do is assume apart from what Motorola has stated.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

#6 Mazler420

Mazler420

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationButler, PA

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:18 AM

Am I the only one that thinks a week after this phone launches there gonna sell a Developer DROID Razr MAXX next? lol where will it end...

#7 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

Am I the only one that thinks a week after this phone launches there gonna sell a Developer DROID Razr MAXX next? lol where will it end...

It may end with DROID RAZR MAXX Developer Purple.... Maybe lol
  • InbredWeasel likes this

#8 Z28nck33

Z28nck33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:50 AM

I think the no warranty is bull. What if something legit happens... battery goes bad... screen quits working... things not associated with "developing"

#9 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:14 AM

I think the no warranty is bull. What if something legit happens... battery goes bad... screen quits working... things not associated with "developing"

You think Motorola cares about customers? Hahahahaha.

#10 Tmc363

Tmc363

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Twitter:@tmc363
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Nop

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk
Posted Image

Donate $10 or more to our Phones For Devs Giveaway and get a Custom Forum title and help the Make a wish Foundation details here: http://www.droidrzr....-custom-titles/

#11 dandude23

dandude23

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

Anyone who would want an unlocked boot loader most likely already has a razr. That is complete trash. 400 dollars for a new phone. How are we going to get these developer editions to all the devs?

#12 Guest_DirtyDroidX_*

Guest_DirtyDroidX_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

There are alot of things still in the air that we don't yet understand. So we will have to sit and wait. Now for having to buy a new phone is BS but meh that's corporate greed. Now the warranty thing is totally understandable, you van flash a rom and break hardware. They are just covering there a$$. I.will take the no warranty thing for a unlocked device.

Now for those that don't no, a unlocked unit makes it possible to flash custom kernels and radios. Pretty much full controll and modification of every nook and cranny of the phone. Just picture this ICS WITH NO BOOTLOADER. MMM

#13 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Anyone who would want an unlocked boot loader most likely already has a razr. That is complete trash. 400 dollars for a new phone. How are we going to get these developer editions to all the devs?

Its actually 600, it shows the EU price.

We really need to launch a full out smear campaign. This is serious. Not only does this mean that since everyone has a razor already they won't buy the developer's edition and moto, seeing the $#!+ty sales won't ever do it again, but also this means that they just fuked us over on their word again. It's more important now than ever to join in opmosh. I even revamped the thread. Can we all get on this?
  • mattlgroff likes this

#14 eckdawg5

eckdawg5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Twitter:twitter.com/eckdawg5

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

There are alot of things still in the air that we don't yet understand. So we will have to sit and wait. Now for having to buy a new phone is BS but meh that's corporate greed. Now the warranty thing is totally understandable, you van flash a rom and break hardware. They are just covering there a$$. I.will take the no warranty thing for a unlocked device.

Now for those that don't no, a unlocked unit makes it possible to flash custom kernels and radios. Pretty much full controll and modification of every nook and cranny of the phone. Just picture this ICS WITH NO BOOTLOADER. MMM

think you could use this phone as an aid to unlock the bootloaders of the regular razrs, or is it too encrypted? I hope they don't sell any and it blows up in their face. Keep your f***in' promises and unlock OUR phones...the phones WE own...
I can see it now. "Your phone is a razr. We unlocked the razr. What more do you want from us? It's not our fault you didn't buy the unlocked razr."

#15 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

Some more info -

Motorola Bootloader FAQ:

And (for some reason :D :D) Motorola Bootloader Forum (DL points out, and I agree, we should try to not spam the hell out of it, it would suck for them to remove it):

:-D :-D

#16 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Just give me the files that they intend to use on that thing so I can flash them to my standard razr instead :D

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#17 Greaser

Greaser

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter:@MattScarSr
  • LocationKenosha, WI

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thats not cool, but hopefully we can somehow flash the software from that onto our Razrs.

#18 (TSON)

(TSON)

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

We can't. It's a hardware switch on the E-Fuse chip.

#19 xiogua

xiogua

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:04 PM

Screw Motorola, never again. I love this thing, but when I can upgrade I'll be going with HTC, Sony, or Samsung. Freakin efuse my rear end.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#20 Z28nck33

Z28nck33

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

We can't. It's a hardware switch on the E-Fuse chip.

That sucks. Idk ab u guys but im probably not gonna go out and buy another razr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users