• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hey first I want to thank all the developers and everyone else involved with making this the best site on the planet for info on anything droid related, you've definitely gotten me through many a pinches ha ha, my question is I noticed quite a few awesome roms being developed for the jellybean kernel and was wondering first the safest and best way to obtain it plus keep root, and if so would i still be able to flash ics roms on the jellybean kernel as well, I'm running a droid razr maxx cdma with the ics kernel at the time, any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks

#2 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

You want this thread here for JB:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Follow the OP to the letter and you will keep root.

You will need to run JB kernel Roms only after the update but most of the Deving is going that way anyway

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#3 lifeisgood

lifeisgood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Another option is to use the dual boot utility that can be found here:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Follow the instructions and you'll be able to run JB and ICS roms and keep root as well. <br /><br />Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk<br />

• Memnoch73 likes this

#4 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

when using the dual boot utility does that mean when you have want to flash between kernels that you have to hook your phone up to use the utility, and i'm running 6.16.211 ICS and am already rooted with safestrap 3.11 so where do I go from there

#5 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

when using the dual boot utility does that mean when you have want to flash between kernels that you have to hook your phone up to use the utility, and i'm running 6.16.211 ICS and am already rooted with safestrap 3.11 so where do I go from there

Pretty much. If you want to run a jb ROM that is based of the leak you must use the utility to boot the jb kernel and vice versa.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#6 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Can you run ics roms on jellybean kernels

#7 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Can you run ics roms on jellybean kernels

To my knowledge no. You will have to use the utility to revert back to the .211 or the .215 kernel.

#8 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

i guess it would be worth it for what it's worth in order to switch in between kernels, my thing is i don't take my laptop with me everywhere i go so that's my downside of using the dual boot utillty

#9 alchemist

alchemist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Edit: Nvm. Disregard.

#10 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

i guess it would be worth it for what it's worth in order to switch in between kernels, my thing is i don't take my laptop with me everywhere i go so that's my downside of using the dual boot utillty

Yeah that makes it hard. If I were speaking reliability I would say stick with the ICS kernel and roms that run off of it. Just my 2 cents though because it is fun as hell to dive into the jb world lol.

#11 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Edit: Nvm. Disregard.

Haha kk.

#12 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

i know what i'm saying is that if you want to switch kernels you have to be connected to your computer to use the utility, and i don't always have my computer with me and that's why i feel thats a downfall, i don't want to hook my phone up every time to go back and forth between ics and jellybean kernels

#13 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

i know what i'm saying is that if you want to switch kernels you have to be connected to your computer to use the utility, and i don't always have my computer with me and that's why i feel thats a downfall, i don't want to hook my phone up every time to go back and forth between ics and jellybean kernels

I hear ya. I was agreeing with ya in my own weird way lol. That's why I said if you aren't around your computer all the time and need that reliability then sticking with ICS is the way to go. Sorry if I came off wrong.

#14 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

no biggie to bad you couldn't switch kernels with a utility within the phone itself, oh well

#15 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

no biggie to bad you couldn't switch kernels with a utility within the phone itself, oh well

Now that would be awesome!

#16 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yeah that would be righteous, so in your opinion switching to the jelly bean kernel would it make you want to stick with it, or eventually go back to ics, i've ran both roms and honestly i'm not too impressed with a lot of them regardless of them being ics or jb, and aside from eye candy and speed tweaks, i haven't found the holy grail of roms ha ha, that's my opinion

#17 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Yeah that would be righteous, so in your opinion switching to the jelly bean kernel would it make you want to stick with it, or eventually go back to ics, i've ran both roms and honestly i'm not too impressed with a lot of them regardless of them being ics or jb, and aside from eye candy and speed tweaks, i haven't found the holy grail of roms ha ha, that's my opinion

I would stick with the jb kernel if it were me. R3Ds just put out a ROM that I think might be the holy grail of jb leak roms lol. I sacrifice stability for newer os versions but I don't expect most users feel the same way lol.

#18 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hmm i'll have to check it out and see what i think, ha ha sometimes all this new rom and updating can be rather exciting but overwhelming at the same time!

#19 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hmm i'll have to check it out and see what i think, ha ha sometimes all this new rom and updating can be rather exciting but overwhelming at the same time!

I hear ya there. I'm constantly charging my devices due to unhealthy crackflashing lol.

#20 gemini7

gemini7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

oh well i guess i'll either do it or i won't thanks for the input

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users