Photo

[Q] Differences Between Gsm And Cdma Roms?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spryte

spryte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

Obviously, development for the CDMA version is much more active (of course many site user live inside the US), that's why there is already a (more or less) working AOSP ICS version and so on...
Due to the fact that the main developers have a CDMA phone, for me raises the question how difficult it would be to port their projects to the GSM variant without having to bother them to make a port and which parts of the roms are different/ the same.

I, personally must admit, don't have much hope that it can be realized easily, due to our beloved locked bootloader and closed source problems...However, who doesn't ask, doesn't know...

#2 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

Well GSM has a real leaked version of ICS already.

Can't answer your question, but am curious to the answer as well.

:-D :-D

#3 Ghostface

Ghostface

Giggling Carebare From the land of Jelly Beans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationIn your Mommy's bed. Your dad is looking at me funny though.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Obviously, development for the CDMA version is much more active (of course many site user live inside the US), that's why there is already a (more or less) working AOSP ICS version and so on...
Due to the fact that the main developers have a CDMA phone, for me raises the question how difficult it would be to port their projects to the GSM variant without having to bother them to make a port and which parts of the roms are different/ the same.

I, personally must admit, don't have much hope that it can be realized easily, due to our beloved locked bootloader and closed source problems...However, who doesn't ask, doesn't know...

The answer is simple.

CDMA: Sprint, Verizon, Alltel Wireless, Virgin mobile... The easiest way to find out is pretty much any phone that DOES NOT utilize a sim card for their data/voice activations. Don't confuse this with LTE phones as Verizon uses their sims for LTE RADIO ONLY but the smartphone is still considered cdma or cdma/lte device.

GSM: AT&T, Tmobile, Suncomm, and etc... any carrier with a sim card. Additional info.. LTE devices on GSM network is dependent on the type of sim card used. so If you got a regular sim in an lte device such as the At&t skyrocket you'll not be receiving 4G service when you enter it's coverage but only 3G or less.

If you're not sure which is which then check the phone for sim cards.. If has it then you know you're carrying a GSM networked device

So when looking for a Rom, the dev will always post whether it's for GSM or CDMA.. you need to know your device you start looking at roms.

#4 bamsemh

bamsemh

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

isn't the only diff on CMDA and GSM, the 4G and 3G technoligy ? CDMA is 4G and GSM is the 3G ?

#5 EmericanX

EmericanX

Developer

• Developer
  • 1,027 posts
  • Twitter:@EmericanX
  • LocationPrince George, VA

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

To answer your question... I think it could be done. Now as far as the complexity of it, I can not answer because I've never attempted it. There will be different libs for the radios and what not... not to mention changes in configuration to look for GSM networks vs CDMA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users