11 replies to this topic

#1 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

Since this app is one of the most oft brought up questions among new Razr users (and old ones looking for new tips :)) I figured I would compile a master list of peoples settings. To cut down on repetition, similar actions/triggers were combined. So (obviously) feel free to customize these to your personal satisfaction.

This is meant to be a permanently in-progress list. Please share your creative ideas!

Battery Saving -

triggers: display off, no movement
Actions: background sync off, bluetooth off, data off

triggers: timeframe night (define 'night'), display off, no movement
Actions: disable background sync, wifi off, bluetooth off, brightness 0%, cellular data disable

triggers: battery level < X%, device not charging
Actions: brightness X%, background sync disable, bluetooth off, display timeout X sec, gps off

triggers: wifi connection
actions: cellular data disable

Location Specific:
(Since location does not work with wifi off [for some unknown reason], timeframe can be used as a subsitute in some cases)

Triggers: Timeframe (Work, Weekday)
Actions: Wifi off, Bluetooth off, GPS off, Brightness X%

Triggers: Location (Home, Church, School, etc.)
Actions: Ringer Volume X, Background Sync off, Display Timeout X, Wifi on/off, etc.

Miscellaneous:

triggers: headphones plugged in
Actions: launch "my music"

triggers: charging (wall adapter), headphone unplugged [this is just so it dont interfere when im charging in my car]
Actions: bluetooth off, background sync off, brightness 0%, display timeout 15 sec

Android 2.3.6 (612.173...):

With the new build about to come out I figured I would update the thread with the new Triggers/Actions that are now available.

Triggers -

Dock: You are now able to trigger actions upon placing the phone in a dock. The different dock choices are any dock, desk dock, HD dock, car dock, and mobile dock. One way to adapt this is if you do not like a specific interface that automatically comes up when using a dock (for example, the car dock menu) you could have it open something else (i.e. straight to the navigator, music, maps, whatever you prefer). Or you could set up a reminder to buckle your seatbelt every time you connect to the car dock.

Bluetooth Connect: I do not remember if this was in the previous version but I'll mention it anyways. If you do not use the car dock you can use this trigger to remind you to buckle your seatbelt as well.

Calendar Events: This may be my favorite new item in Smart Actions, you can set up certain responses to your calendar events coming to date. You can pick which calendar, exclude all day events, only include events that include multiple people, or only include meetings you've accepted. One convenient little add-on is the ability to view matching events before placing the trigger into effect. The sky is the limit with this one, but I'll list a few I've come up with.

Sending text messages to your wife/girlfriend automatically when her birthday, anniversary, etc. arrives. This won't be sufficient to keep you out of trouble, but it can make sure you didn't completely forget in her eyes.

On the same topic as above you can 'check in' with whomever you wish by setting your Razr to automatically send texts upon a calendar event becoming active.

By combining the calendar event trigger with the notification trigger and display trigger you can set your phone to remind you of something every time you unlock your phone to ensure you do not forget something important.

Actions:

Voice Announce: Announce the name of people who you missed calls or texts from, pretty straight forward.

Auto Reply Text: Being able to automatically reply to missed calls and texts could really help, say you already have it set to show you in a meeting or similar; you can now feel confident that no one thinks you are ignoring them or just let them know the deal. You can set this up to reply to all numbers, just your contacts, or just selected contacts. Pretty nifty.

VIP Caller Mode: This action allows you to set 'VIP Callers' for which the phone always rings, no matter if the phone is on silent. Since this is not a function by contact in the phone book, you can set special parameters for it. For example, base it on calendar events, location, timeframe, etc. I never put my phone on silent (or used SA to do so) at night because of the fear of missing an emergency call from my family. But with VIP Caller Mode, I can silence the phone but still ensure I get emergency calls.

Some other ideas for you to adapt:

- Using defined times as a replacement for location triggers, like if you get home around the same time every day you can set your 'home' settings that way (or my work rule above).
- Automating auto text responses to missed calls when your phone is on silent (say you have a meeting every week, etc.)
- Launching the weather every morning at the time you get dressed, launching a playlist when your normally in the shower, etc.
- Launching DroidRzr 'Help' forum when the phone gets thrown against a wall.

Feel free to post any of the ones I missed and I will add them to the list. Smart Actions is great, but because we are not able to define our own triggers (a la AutomateIt, Tasker, etc.) they are somewhat limited.

To keep this thread organized I cut down alot on individual personalization. To read all of the current threads on the subject select one of the following:

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• Bignadad, The Kid and dustincook87 like this

:-D :-D

#2 Bignadad

Bignadad

Dev/Design Extrordinare

• Developer
  • 283 posts
  • Twitter:bignadad
  • Google+:bignadad
  • LocationBishopville, SC
  • Current Device(s):DroidX, Bionic, Dinc2, Razr Maxx, Razr HD Maxx, Gnex, Nex7, Xyboard

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

I pinned this topic. Really like the idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Edited to add new triggers and actions implemented in Android 2.3.6 since it will be releasing soon.

:-D :-D

#4 smeekteek

smeekteek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

I can't figure out why the "cellular date" and "background sync" are available options on some ROMS and not on others. i have made Smart Actions a system file too.

#5 Memnoch73

Memnoch73

~The Devil~

• Smod
  • 5,016 posts
  • Google+:memnoch73@gmail.com
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 3XL

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:23 AM

I can't figure out why the "cellular date" and "background sync" are available options on some ROMS and not on others. i have made Smart Actions a system file too.

The one without those things is from the Play store. The one with those things is the one that comes loaded on our phones and needs extra blur files in order to do those 2 things.

Bluesig3_zpsfd248ca4.png

#6 smeekteek

smeekteek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

The one without those things is from the Play store. The one with those things is the one that comes loaded on our phones and needs extra blur files in order to do those 2 things.

Cool thx. Does anyone know where the files can be found?

#7 rhythmtraveler

rhythmtraveler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

Smart Actions don't seem to be working correctly after my update. My "Home" action hardly ever starts and "Work" which I have set for when I'm at that location only turns on sometimes. I do have location enabled. I have turned them off and on and changed them to try and make them seem new to the phone. Any ideas?
Thanks.

#8 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

Have you perchance performed a FDR after taking the update?
  • rhythmtraveler likes this

#9 rhythmtraveler

rhythmtraveler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

Have you perchance performed a FDR after taking the update?

No just because I hate redownloading. Think that would fix it? I'm 100% stock.

#10 johnlgalt

johnlgalt

Antidisestablishmentarianist

• Superuser
  • 7,296 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/JohnLGalt
  • Location3rd Rock
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 4 XL 128 GB

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

It might, but it might not. Honestly, when the BIONIC went from GB to ICS we stressed performing a FDR b/c of possible application incompatibility that would not necessarily show up through normal operations.

Other things you could try would be turning off the location services, then rebooting, then enabling them again (and adding a second reboot after enabling).

#11 rhythmtraveler

rhythmtraveler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:34 AM

I did a reset last night and after I re downloaded all my apps and put my phone back together it seems they're working correctly, won't know for sure until I get to work later.
  • rhythmtraveler likes this

#12 rhythmtraveler

rhythmtraveler

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I did a reset last night and after I re downloaded all my apps and put my phone back together it seems they're working correctly, won't know for sure until I get to work later.

When I got to work Smart Actions did change but when I got home it didn't switch.
?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users