22 replies to this topic

#1 richrard

richrard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Messing with the build.prop seems to be risky business. Take proper precautions. I am new to the whole Android thing so I cannot tell you as of yet what they might be :blink: Although admittedly that should have been priority one, I was too impatient to get the best of everything on there that I could...

-----------

After a lot of trial and error I finally stumbled on a way to get Modern Combat 3 and other Gameloft games that normally tell you that your device is not supported to work. You just gotta use the build.prop to change how your phone is picked up by apps. This uses Droid 3 values, as it seems to have great compatibility.

1. Use the Rom Toolbox build.prop editor, or your preferred way of editing the build.prop to change these values*

ro.product.board=solana
ro.product.device=cdma_solana
ro.product.model=DROID3
ro.product.name=solana_vzw

Reboot

2. Install your game and let it download the extra data, and run at least once. It seems to only do a compatibility check on the first run.

3. Change those entries back to defaults**

ro.product.board=spyder
ro.product.device=cdma_spyder
ro.product.model=DROID RAZR
ro.product.name=spyder_vzw

Reboot

*Found this information at

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

. Credit goes to them, but it seems not all the entries listed there are needed. I didn't include ones that were already the same, and when I opened the build.prop in a text editor I saw a note of warning saying not to edit ro.build.fingerprint, and found out that it is not necessary for this. Figured it's better not to if it's not required.

**Changing these values away from default temporarily breaks my gyroscope. Probably yours too. Rom Toolbox supports having multiple build.prop backups. I recommend having one modded one and one original, so that you can easily swap back and forth when you need it. Possibly breaks other things that I didn't notice or try to use.

So far I have tried this on Modern Combat 3, Asphalt 6, Splinter Cell Conviction, and N.O.V.A. 2. Also installed Dead Space when it was like this, but I don't know if that was necessary. All these games seem to actually be perfectly compatible with our phones, the only thing is getting past the in-app compatibility check.

The only real issue is that I am running out of storage space with all these big games :P

Only tested on rooted Verizon Droid Razr with stock rom.

UPDATE: dreandroid reported getting into a bootloop on xt910. Only recommend trying on xt912 version, or finding a similar post somewhere out there with the values of a phone that will allow install and are tested to work. Editing system files can be risky business. I am lucky that it only broke my gyroscope. I thought the changes were only superficial and foolishly did not think to research a means of recovery before trying this out, though I have switched back and forth a couple times since and everything has been fine.

Even recklessly trying other things out. If you start to run out of space from all the large games I recommend trying this to switch your /sdcard with /sdcard-ext.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Doubled my space for games :D Think I may switch my phone's SD and my SupercardDSTWO's SD to quadruple it if more games come out without this hack failing.

They report problems after a while (reboots, problems mounting), but for now I couldn't be happier with this setup, unless I had that Gametel controller or an equivalent... Plus their phone was a different model so who knows what will happen to mine.
  • Bignadad, spryte and ballroomdru like this

#2 OperaToR

OperaToR

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Nice, I would love it to play MC3 on my Razr, but I didn't root my phone so I have to wait (if they ever going to solve it...).

Sorry for my bad english :)

#3 spryte

spryte

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Very nice, thanks. Have been looking for sth. like this, but didn't know which values match best ;)

#4 richrard

richrard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Those values are best o_O

Used my sister's Bionic to try those values last night and it still broke the gyroscope. Anything but the defaults will do that apparently, but the DROID 3 has good compatibility with games and if you do what I suggested about having the two backups through Rom Toolbox's build.prop editor you can switch back and forth fairly easily.

#5 dreandroid

dreandroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hey tried the values on my xt910, got into a bootloop. Could be that it was because its umts and not cdma but might want to point that out as a caution.

#6 richrard

richrard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Sorry about that dreandroid... Did you get it going again? I added a note of warning for the xt910 users, thank you for reporting your experience.

If you do have an easy enough way of fixing it, you could try just these:
ro.product.board=solana
ro.product.model=DROID3

Those are the ones that don't mention the cdma. I am not positive all of those entries are necessary, I did not go through testing all the combinations. I already took out one line that other post mentioned and it works fine... may be worth a shot if you want the game bad enough.

I would test but even if it's working on the xt912 it does not necessarily mean it won't bootloop the xt910. Plus I would have to delete my Modern Combat data and re-download it all to do so

#7 dreandroid

dreandroid

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Hey richrard, I got lucky in that I could reflash the rom so was only a little inconvenient, I had a feeling something might happen and should really have checked for a umts milestone 3 build.prop. Thanks though for pointing in the right direction. I might try it again at a later date. Nova 2 from the gameloft wapshop works and Dead Space from market. Does modern combat 3 work/run well on the RAZR? Already have it on my xoom so not I haven't too much of a rush to get it going on it now. Thanks
  • ballroomdru likes this

#8 richrard

richrard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

Yeah, that would probably be best. It runs beautifully. Definitely the best looking shooter on android that I've seen, and the controls are decent for touch-only. I haven't played through all of it yet, I rarely beat games, but the first few levels are flawless. Every time I look at my phone I am happy about the super amoled display, and it does the prettier games their due justice. Even Angry Birds on my phone compared to my family members' Bionics looks much more vibrant. I haven't tried playing online yet. I am more of a Zelda guy than a shooter guy, but plan to try it eventually.

Truth be told, I probably had more fun finding out how to get it going than playing it. It was a little difficult to find what I needed to do, since the Razr forum sites had nothing on it, and Google thinks "modern combat 3" and "modern warfare 3" are synonymous...

I figured a lot of those Gameloft games didn't need this, but I just did them all in one go. Good to know which ones don't.

#9 OperaToR

OperaToR

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Do you guys think that it's going to work on my Razr XT910? I really can't wait anymore to play this game. There are so less games in the Market for the Razr. I'll root it later. Just want to know if it's going to work.
Regards

#10 richrard

richrard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

Depends on if you or someone else can find values that don't get you in a bootloop. I wouldn't try it if you dont have a way of fixing that

#11 OperaToR

OperaToR

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hmm, okay so I think I won't be able to play this game in the next time...

#12 looneytuned29

looneytuned29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Ok so i used rom toolbox to cbange values to get modern combat to work but now it nust keeps rebooting. Was able to use safe strap to get to boot up but now cant switch back. Also i have no computer to rsd back. Any help

#13 looneytuned29

looneytuned29

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

On verizon razr

#14 Gotsaved289

Gotsaved289

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Google+:aarontblum

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Personally I've had issues using the droid 3. But had success with many games using the Nexus S. This method I did not come up with myself but found on XDA forums and can't remember where... but the point is I'm just passing on someone else's great idea.

Must be rooted to use this method!

All I did was use a root browser to go to the root of your phone and go to system>build.prop>edit

Changed the following.

ro.product.model=Droid RAZR "change that to Nexus S so it reads" ro.product.model=Nexus S

ro.product.manufacturer=motorola "change that to samsung so it reads" ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

reboot. now most gameloft games work Flawlessly on the RAZR. I
  • ballroomdru likes this

#15 Gotsaved289

Gotsaved289

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Google+:aarontblum

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Not trying to step on anyone's toes or anything but this kept making my phone reboot. Below is a method I found on XDA FORUMS that worked.

Personally I've had issues using the droid 3. But had success with many games using the Nexus S. This method I did not come up with myself but found on XDA forums and can't remember where... but the point is I'm just passing on someone else's great idea.

Must be rooted to use this method!

All I did was use a root browser to go to the root of your phone and go to system>build.prop>edit

Changed the following.

ro.product.model=Droid RAZR "change that to Nexus S so it reads" ro.product.model=Nexus S

ro.product.manufacturer=motorola "change that to samsung so it reads" ro.product.manufacturer=samsung

reboot.

now most gameloft games work Flawlessly on the RAZR.

So for the most part the same as Original Post but changing less. And instead of using the Droid 3 the games see your phone as the nexus s and will install and play.

#16 Sim Kai Long

Sim Kai Long

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Not trying to step on anyone's toes or anything but this kept making my phone reboot. Below is a method I found on XDA FORUMS that worked. Personally I've had issues using the droid 3. But had success with many games using the Nexus S. This method I did not come up with myself but found on XDA forums and can't remember where... but the point is I'm just passing on someone else's great idea. Must be rooted to use this method! All I did was use a root browser to go to the root of your phone and go to system>build.prop>edit Changed the following. ro.product.model=Droid RAZR "change that to Nexus S so it reads" ro.product.model=Nexus S ro.product.manufacturer=motorola "change that to samsung so it reads" ro.product.manufacturer=samsung reboot. now most gameloft games work Flawlessly on the RAZR. So for the most part the same as Original Post but changing less. And instead of using the Droid 3 the games see your phone as the nexus s and will install and play.

Using the values of Nexus S, certain games still do not show up. Namely Modern Combat 3, Asphalt 6 HD etc.

#17 Sim Kai Long

Sim Kai Long

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

Hey richrard, I got lucky in that I could reflash the rom so was only a little inconvenient, I had a feeling something might happen and should really have checked for a umts milestone 3 build.prop. Thanks though for pointing in the right direction. I might try it again at a later date. Nova 2 from the gameloft wapshop works and Dead Space from market. Does modern combat 3 work/run well on the RAZR? Already have it on my xoom so not I haven't too much of a rush to get it going on it now. Thanks

Hey there, I've tried using the CDMA values on my GSM XT910. It kept rebooting after 2 to 3 minutes after starting up. ( Not stuck in boot).

#18 ballroomdru

ballroomdru

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

So, i should try this method to get Dead Space to finally install on my RAZR MAXX? Good to know.

#19 ballroomdru

ballroomdru

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Using the values of Nexus S, certain games still do not show up. Namely Modern Combat 3, Asphalt 6 HD etc.

Is there a device compatibility list for these games anywhere?

#20 richrard

richrard

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

I wouldnt recommend it I guess. As you can see from the replies, other people didnt have much luck, some getting into bootloops. It worked great for me but the risk probably isnt worth it. Or maybe try that guys nexus values, ionno...

Havent come on in a while, sorry for the people who had trouble as a result of trying this. It worked for me so I just thought I'd share it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users