243 replies to this topic

#81 fastfoodfred

fastfoodfred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sounds like a ticket to a brick.

I have read others say they tried Matt's utility. Some failed, others bricked.

When they say there is no path back to ICS, they meant it.

So far, there is no known solution.

That's a way to fix a brick, but there will be no root.

#82 Brutus06

Brutus06

Drunken Monk Brewery

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Google+:leereitz12@gmail.com
  • LocationSouth Dakota
  • Current Device(s):Bionic(retired), Lenovo Tablet, Moto G

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Is there a PayPal account or something we can send in our money to? I know you say people have pledged that much, and not to say people are not going to pay if this happens, but it would probably be good to get the one in advance so if someone does get this done, they will really get how much was promised to them.

Most people are going to keep their words, their handles are posted. Your rep is about all you have on the net, why ruin it over money that you promised? A PayPal account is a good idea, unless no one figures it out which creates ByteCode more work transferring all the money back.
  • Nitewolf and wacocapretto like this

#83 mugekun

mugekun

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

I haven't seen too much chat in here discussing attempts to get root. I thought I would share some things I had tried but did not work for me.

First of all, how I got where I am(no root).
I did the jb upgrade, following most steps, I did not use 1.82 of Matt's tool I used 1.81.
After flashing to stock 211 and rooting using Matt's tool, I went in to su to have it check for updates, and it said it was up to date.
Did my backup, upgrade, and when I attempted to restore root, it said it worked, but did not seem to.

It seems several others experienced this situation, but I had assumed I did something wrong, and decided to flash back to 211. Unfortunately at the time, no one was posting about how that would not work.
And I found out the hard way, it did not work. It flashes most of the fastboot files, but not the boot of course. And, though it seems everything else flashed fine, it will not boot the ICS system under the JB boot image.

I was still able to sideload the JB upgrade via the restore utility, however, fastbooting to 211 wiped out my backed up root, so there is no longer any way to restore that root in JB.

What we can learn from this is that fastbooting most of the way back to 211 still lets us get the phone back up on JB, but without root.
Unfortunately since it is not possible to boot 211 with the new JB boot image, I can't run the ICS root to get root back.

If we could just somehow get ICS to boot under the JB boot setup. Maybe something like the dual booting that some people are using now, but with JB being the primary boot.(may not be possible to attain this without root of course).

I also tried modifying the fastboot system image. The concept being, if I could simply push an su-backup in to that partition, then the JB upgrade would work, and I should then be able to use a root restore utility to get root back using that su-backup. The fastboot image is not encrypted, and I was able to straight up mount the image on my filesystem and inject the su-backup. It also seemed to flash okay. However, when I attempted to boot the phone, even in to recovery mode, the phone gives an error about invalid something or another(sorry I did this over a week ago and forget exactly what it says). I assume this means that there is some sort of checksum or other security at work that prevents booting off my modified system image. Though, I also think it may simply be possible that there was something wrong about how I mounted and modified the image, perhaps I should have mounted as ext3 instead of ext4 or something of the like.

Anyway it stands, I think one path to root would be to fastboot back to 211, somehow get the su-backup in place, then upgrade to JB and use a root restore.

Of course, a true root for JB would be preferable. Perhaps the official JB release will be as vulnerable as the other Motorola JB releases are, and we will just be able to use the existing Motorola JB roots for the other phones.

I did also try several JB root methods I found for other phones, but to no avail. The restore timing one just never seemed to do anything after starting the restore option, and I could not get the debug dump one to produce the debug dump using the power and volume shortcut(I also tried running the dump from the system menu, but that didn't work either).

I'm fully willing to collaborate on root attempts, I just want root back, whoever else wants it, can have the money.
  • anoopch, jcarlosfox and rjl1844 like this

#84 devans3232

devans3232

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Has anybody had any success with matts restore root zip?

#85 mattp427

mattp427

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

i havnt

#86 luke61456789

luke61456789

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

I had luck with my previous RAZR Max then I just got a new one updated it using voodoo and had lost my root and ran that utility and bam got root back again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#87 devans3232

devans3232

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'm going to give it a shot today, I'm sick of not having root

#88 troycourtney

troycourtney

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR XT912

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Matt's restore root only works if the su binary is present as preserved by voodoo. No su binary...you are out of luck...personal experience. I was forced to do a factory reset when out of town on vacation and my su binary vanished. No more root for me.

#89 skybro

skybro

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Current Device(s):droid razr

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Put me down for 20........
  • jcarlosfox likes this

#90 mkarps

mkarps

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Damn, well just did this and got root back. Wish I would have tried this weeks ago. :o

#91 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Like its written EVERYWHERE ELSE, as long as you were rooted BEFORE you upgraded to JB, it will work.

How about taking the time to READ before posting. Why is this such a hard concept to get?

There is an ENTIRE thread dedicated to Matt's utility to restore root... its not hard to find, its not hard to read, and there are a ton of posts that I'm confident will answer any questions you, and everyone else whom wastes members' time by refusing to read, may have. Please, use the 3lb mass in between your ears, as you're selling yourself short.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
  • randomcold, devans3232 and dave5777 like this

#92 Thach

Thach

Motorola Fanboy

• Administrator
  • 2,364 posts
  • Twitter:thach2639
  • Google+:Thach26
  • LocationGrand Forks ND
  • Current Device(s):OG Droid, Droid X, Droid X2, Droid Razr, Droid Bionic, Droid Xyboard 8.2, Nexus 7

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Like its written EVERYWHERE ELSE, as long as you were rooted BEFORE you upgraded to JB, it will work.

How about taking the time to READ before posting. Why is this such a hard concept to get? If you're on a forum, then you're of at least average intelligence and you have the ability to read... instead of people pretending they have neither, why not use both?

There is an ENTIRE thread dedicated to Matt's utility to restore root... its not hard to find, its not hard to read, and there are a ton of posts that I'm confident will answer any questions you, and everyone else whom wastes members' time by refusing to read, may have. Please, use the 3lb mass in between your ears, as you're selling yourself short.

While I can understand frustrations and all that, how about you try to be a little more respectful and courteous. There is no reason to answer a question in the manner that you have. Yes his answer is probably already out there on the boards, but there are also contradictory posts as well. Pointing him in the right direction or showing him how to find it will prove more worth than acting in the manner that you have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  • neckchop, DarkOverDroid, jamminjon82 and 7 others like this

Thach%20Admin%20device%20list.png

#93 kuroespino

kuroespino

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Im in for lucky $10
  • jcarlosfox likes this

#94 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

OP updated with new pledges. At $450 now. :)
  • johnpaul530 and jcarlosfox like this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#95 jw0914

jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

While I can understand frustrations and all that, how about you try to be a little more respectful and courteous. There is no reason to answer a question in the manner that you have. Yes his answer is probably already out there on the boards, but there are also contradictory posts as well. Pointing him in the right direction or showing him how to find it will prove more worth than acting in the manner that you have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I apologize as it wasn't written with the intent of being disrespectful. However, this is obviously how it has come across to a few and I apologize for any offense that was taken.

#96 devans3232

devans3232

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

How about taking the time to READ before posting. Why is this such a hard concept to get?

#97 devans3232

devans3232

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the clarification...... Tool bag

#98 johnpaul530

johnpaul530

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

OK back the the real topic..we are $450 up so how close are we to root, half way?

#99 lostsoul01

lostsoul01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationFrom the dark shadows of Texas
  • Current Device(s):OG RAZR MAXX

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

It seems like the topic has been forgotten.. :( just haven't seen much activity on it recently...

#100 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Jcase is working on it, I've been told.

• lostsoul01 and jcarlosfox like this