jw0914

All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6 [XT1103]

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I received a Razr Maxx HD (XT926) with JB 4.1.1 pre-installed and no information on any forum as to any successful way to root a deivce that was either running JB, or that upgraded to JB without prior root. After some trial, error, and research, this is the only successful way to root a JB device.

It has been mistakenly posted on numerous forums that once your on JB, you can no longer go back to ICS... this is incorrect and completely false (except with the old Razr Family (XT912, etc), due to security changes within the bootloader, rendering this inoperable). Here is what you will require:

• RSD Lite 6.1.4 (

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

)
  • OEM Moto ICS Firmware (4.0.4) file (

)
  • For XT926 Firmware (possibly others if you receive a fail in RSD Lite), you will need to extract the compressed file and manually edit the .xml file with notepad, completely deleting all lines of code containing "getvar" (should be 2 lines). Save & Close.
  • Put device into AP Fastboot mode, open RSD Lite, select the folder with the extracted Firmware files, then select Start.
  • Once RSD Lite has completed the flash, it will reboot your phone and you will be on stock ICS ready to root.
  • Root your phone with Matt's Droid Razr Utility for your specific device.
Follow these instructions for maintaining root before you re-upgrade to JB:

Credit also needs to go out to Fridza at AndoMods for writing about the .xml edit, which I was unable to find elsewhere:

WARNING:
AS STATED ABOVE, THIS WILL NOT WORK ON THE OLD FAMILY OF RAZRS/MAXXS, ETC., SUCH AS THE XT912. ATTEMPTING THIS ON THOSE VERSIONS WILL BRICK THEM GUARANTEED.
  • sb8636 likes this

#2 jcamel24

jcamel24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR XT912

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Has anyone tried this on OG RAZR yet?

#3 cconcepts

cconcepts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

So the op has successfully went from jb back to ICS?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#4 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Won't work on OG Razr. They upped the secure version of the bootloader. The lower secure version of Ics will not flash into our phone. This will work for the HD as the secure version is not upgraded.

• jw0914 likes this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#5 jcamel24

jcamel24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR XT912

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

That's what I thought, just checking!

#6 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

I just did it on my Razr Maxx HD, thus the entire RAZR family should work, even though hardware does differ, The OEM firmware is not the same as a fastboot file you would use with Droid Razr Utility, and even though it won't fail, if it did, you simply re-flash JB firmware and you're good as new.

#7 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Won't work on OG Razr. They upped the secure version of the bootloader. The lower secure version of Ics will not flash into our phone. This will work for the HD as the secure version is not upgraded.

I still have an OG Razr Maxx, so give me a few and I'll get back to you

#8 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

So the op has successfully went from jb back to ICS?

That is correct.. and back again with root.

#9 txkssnapper

txkssnapper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationMichigan
  • Current Device(s):Droid RAZR MAXX HD, tf300t

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I just did it on my Razr Maxx HD, thus the entire RAZR family should work, even though hardware does differ, The OEM firmware is not the same as a fastboot file you would use with Droid Razr Utility, and even though it won't fail, if it did, you simply re-flash JB firmware and you're good as new.

The original razr and maxx are not the same as the hd they have very different hardware and therefore different software. and the OEM firmware is the same as the fastboot file.

#10 BytecodeMe

BytecodeMe

Private Pile

• Superuser
  • 2,004 posts
  • Twitter:@BytecodeMe
  • LocationSan Diego, California
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 4, Droid Razr Maxx HD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

The difference on the HD is that Moto did not upgrade the secure version of the bootloader. Yes... It's the same thing, same files with different flashing instructions for RSD Lite. Why in the utility we can have the individual files without XML, the utility doesn't use it as instructions. RSD does.

I still have an OG Razr Maxx, so give me a few and I'll get back to you

Okay...

• jw0914 likes this

byte3plusrainbowsmallllllllller.png

#11 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

I stand corrected. I apologize, I wasn't aware of that and after trying 3x it is impossible to go back on the OG Razr family.

I have updated my post to show the edit. My apologies.

#12 xlightwaverx

xlightwaverx

CrackFlasher

• Superuser
  • 409 posts
  • Twitter:xlightwaverx
  • LocationEast Coast
  • Current Device(s):XT912, Kindle Fire HD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Easy test, someone using official OTA, use my tool and try to flash ICS kernel. If it fails you can't go back.

Here's Matts restore your brick tool if ya don't make it.

X

GTalk/Email: xlightwaverx[@]gmail.com | Android Development | CrackFlasher Downloads
x4_logo.png.pagespeed.ic.voMTetxHpH.png

#13 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

The difference on the HD is that Moto did not upgrade the secure version of the bootloader. Yes... It's the same thing, same files with different flashing instructions for RSD Lite. Why in the utility we can have the individual files without XML, the utility doesn't use it as instructions. RSD does.

I know hardware makes a difference, but normally wouldn't if you have the correct firmware right?. For example, had the security in the bootloader not been altered, hardware changes between the old and the new wouldn't matter as the firmware is device specific. The difference in hardware isn't the reason why this way isn't compatible, it's simply the change in security of the bootloader.

#14 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Easy test, someone using official OTA, use my tool and try to flash ICS kernel. If it fails you can't go back.

X

I wasn't aware the bootloader security had been altered on the OG Razr family, which is the reason why this won't wok on the old Razr family, just the new. Barring the bootloader security alteration, this procedure would have worked on the old. I'm not aware of what tool you're referring to, but after successfully going back to ICS from JB on my Maxx HD and being informed of the security changes, I attempted it on my old Maxx with RSD Lite and it failed writing the system.img (step 11/16).

#15 lostsoul01

lostsoul01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationFrom the dark shadows of Texas
  • Current Device(s):OG RAZR MAXX

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Is there any fix for the OG RAZR/MAXX?

#16 East2West

East2West

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm curious on why we are able to flash the jellybean kernel to our ICS device when trying to flash the gingerbread kernel fails.

Is there a difference between the jb kernel patched using apply_patch and the one on devices officially upgraded to jellybean?

Why does the ICS bootloader run a kernel designed for the JB bootloader?

I ask because I would like to try some gingerbread roms again where Netflix played in HD. Ever since the ICS upgrade it has suffered in quality for me.

#17 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

EDIT: Problem solved. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#18 jw0914

jw0914

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationMadison

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

EDIT: Problem solved. Sorry for misunderstanding.

No big deal =] Your messages gave me some insight though, and so that no one mistakes this for working with the old Razrs, I've put a huge Warning at the bottom of the page in big, bold red.

#19 DarkOverDroid

DarkOverDroid

DROIDOSAPIEN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Twitter:@DarkOverDroid
  • Google+:DarkOverDroid@gmail.com
  • LocationMobile, Al
  • Current Device(s):DROID RAZR MAXX HD, DROID RAZR MAXX, iPhone 4, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (WiFi) 7" Acer Iconia Tab A-100 (Wifi)

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I've already tested that for ya! :D Won't work. I tried that as soon as you release your utility. It fails at flashing the ICS kernel and will not boot. The only way to get back, is re-flasbing the JB kernel. Then she'll boot right up. Lol

Posted Image

#20 BrownNinja55

BrownNinja55

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

Thanks man. tried a couple times with the different threads about it and always seem to run into not being able to restore root. Now back to playing.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jelly Bean, JellyBean, Root, XT926, XT912, RAZR, MAXX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users