Photo

Has Motorola Burned All Bridges With The Modding Community?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mattlgroff

mattlgroff

The Dark Knight

• Developer
  • 2,298 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Posted Image

Motorola and locked bootloaders. Motorola and future plans to unlock bootloaders. It sounds like the plot points of a major motion picture drama. Or maybe just a daytime soap opera. Either way, the end result, which we're looking at today, hasn't been the shiniest of things to look at for Motorola. Which is odd, considering how many eggs Motorola has put into the Android basket. All in all, it seems completely counterproductive to me to set your sights on the Android market, but at the same time completely aim to shut out the development and modding community while you do it.

But let's be completely clear here: Motorola is burning bridges left and right with the modding community, and they aren't looking back while they do it, either. Let's take a look back and see where this all started, shall we?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

, it became public knowledge that Motorola had every intention of unlocking bootloaders of already released devices (where appropriate), and also unlocking bootloaders for future devices. That was supposed to start happening later in 2011, but considering you're reading this article today, and have read Taylor's

, we can safely surmise that that didn't happen.

Owners of Motorola devices didn't take that lightly, though. Petitions started showing up all over the Internet, specifically in some of the most commonly used forums available to the development and modding community. But, while those petitions are still going around, and people are still voicing their opinions on the subject, it doesn't look like Motorola is paying all that much attention. They are listening, though, and that seems clear.

I say they are listening because the company has recently announced that they will be trying to appease the development and modding community out there by releasing the

. So, yes, Motorola is listening, but they aren't paying attention. If they were paying attention (or cared, as it were), then they would have a clear understanding that releasing another phone is not the thing that people want. It doesn't even make any sense!

If Motorola weren't in the position they were in right now, and if they didn't seem to have an issue following through with their plans, then releasing a developer's phone wouldn't be a problem. After all, that means you're not only giving the general public what they want (which would consist of folks who want to dabble in altering their phone, but who don't do it extensively), but also providing a developer phone for the passionate devs and modders out there. That's what you could consider covering all the bases, and that's what Motorola is not doing.

And for the life of me, none of this makes any sense. Even back in June, when Motorola first made the announcement, the stipulation was the carriers. They had to be okay with the unlocked bootloaders. It's a well known fact that carriers aren't always "okay" with this type of stuff, always citing security as their main reason. Whatever the reason (it could very well have to do with security), what Motorola is doing with all of this is the wrong way to handle it. If the carriers are the ones causing a problem with this unlocked bootloader situation, then you let everyone know. Simple as that. Where you're at right now is not where you want to be. Not with an entire movement against you. Right now, right this moment, Motorola, for all intents and purposes you are being protested against because of this.

So fix it. Even if that means you come out and say that Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, metroPCS, and US Cellar --along with every other carrier out there with Android phones on their network-- are telling you that you can't unlock bootloaders on devices. The Motorola forums may not be the best place for information, but it's an open forum. It is a constant state of open dialogue for you, Motorola, so use it. Verizon says you can't unlock the bootloader on the DROID RAZR? Okay, pass that information along to the rest of the DROID RAZR owners out there. You know why? Because you told them, all of them, that you would be unlocking bootloaders late last year.

Fix it, Motorola. And quickly.

Original Source by

at

• The Kid and DarkOverDroid like this

Please do not Personal Message me for help or troubleshooting. They will be ignored. Post in threads or start one in Q&A sections.

If you feel the need to donate to me, click here.

#2 The Kid

The Kid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Google+:thegsxr1000kid

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

i likie the write up
3.0 icsourcery GNex

#3 Droid2drummer

Droid2drummer

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Twitter:@imanotemaker
  • Google+:robertclarkga@gmail.com
  • LocationWarner Robins GA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm with this...Hell, ill sign a frickin waiver to drop my insurance. Just not going to buy a phone I already f ing have. I'm red as hell with moto ...But. Sadly..I'm not without some love for their products..just want to own the dang thing. Like my computers. I own them. I understand I don't own the software. But I want to own the hardware. And I should be able to run whatever software I want. High jacking the bootloader is all I have. And I shouldn't have to worry about high jacking anything I already own...???

8-)

You've been tapped by the Drummer...
  • savannahman and DarkOverDroid like this

#4 Cruiserdude

Cruiserdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Twitter:@andrewblitch

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

I don't even see any justification for losing the hardware warranty, even that is unacceptable imho. Just because we have the ability to alter the OS'es access to the hardware (kernels) or install a different OS should not absolve them of any issues arising from a hardware defect. Its their responsibility to provide solid hardware, if I have an actual hardware issue, it shouldn't matter what I can or have done on the software side.

Smartphones are miniature computers, and for a computer manufacturer to sell a computer with a locked bootloader would be outrageous, and it would be equally ridiculous for them to not provide any sort of warranty because you have the possibility of installing a different kernel than what came preloaded. I understand that it introduces more possibility for people to screw up their phone through flashing mistakes, as this is a software issue and the responsibility of the owner. So treat it just like a computer manufacturer would. If someone sends in their computer for warranty repair because they got a virus, or removed some essential system files, or corrupted their installation and were not capable of fixing it themselves, they don't get a new computer for free. They get a call informing them that its a software issue and the company is not liable, and they would be happy to fix it for a reasonable fee, or ship it back at the customer's expense. But if someone sends in their machine for an actual hardware issue, like a dead mobo or faulty power supply, it will of course be repaired or replaced at the company's expense.

Could this same logic not reasonably be applied to smartphones? Its pretty easy to determine the difference between a bricked phone and one with hardware issues, the company could simply say they will take responsibility for their hardware, but software issues due to user error are the customer's responsibility and they will be charged accordingly. I see no problem with that for either us or them, its quite fair on both sides. Samsung provides solid warranty service, and I don't know of any Android phone they've made that had a locked bootloader. The stance Moto is taking with this bootloader issue is infuriating, but even if they did unlock it, axing the warranty would still be outrageous. They should not be freed from the responsibility to back their hardware simply because they allow the customer more control over it. Don't be so quick to give up that warranty, people, this should be an all-or-nothing fight.

/
  • larrygeary and DarkOverDroid like this

#5 Papapau

Papapau

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Love the delivery of this article.. Hope Motorola won't be on listening mode again..

OPMOSH2

#6 atcjeff

atcjeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr XT912

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I don't even see any justification for losing the hardware warranty, even that is unacceptable imho. Just because we have the ability to alter the OS'es access to the hardware (kernels) or install a different OS should not absolve them of any issues arising from a hardware defect. Its their responsibility to provide solid hardware, if I have an actual hardware issue, it shouldn't matter what I can or have done on the software side.

Smartphones are miniature computers, and for a computer manufacturer to sell a computer with a locked bootloader would be outrageous, and it would be equally ridiculous for them to not provide any sort of warranty because you have the possibility of installing a different kernel than what came preloaded. I understand that it introduces more possibility for people to screw up their phone through flashing mistakes, as this is a software issue and the responsibility of the owner. So treat it just like a computer manufacturer would. If someone sends in their computer for warranty repair because they got a virus, or removed some essential system files, or corrupted their installation and were not capable of fixing it themselves, they don't get a new computer for free. They get a call informing them that its a software issue and the company is not liable, and they would be happy to fix it for a reasonable fee, or ship it back at the customer's expense. But if someone sends in their machine for an actual hardware issue, like a dead mobo or faulty power supply, it will of course be repaired or replaced at the company's expense.

Could this same logic not reasonably be applied to smartphones? Its pretty easy to determine the difference between a bricked phone and one with hardware issues, the company could simply say they will take responsibility for their hardware, but software issues due to user error are the customer's responsibility and they will be charged accordingly. I see no problem with that for either us or them, its quite fair on both sides. Samsung provides solid warranty service, and I don't know of any Android phone they've made that had a locked bootloader. The stance Moto is taking with this bootloader issue is infuriating, but even if they did unlock it, axing the warranty would still be outrageous. They should not be freed from the responsibility to back their hardware simply because they allow the customer more control over it. Don't be so quick to give up that warranty, people, this should be an all-or-nothing fight.

/

I agree with cruiserdude here. They should stand behind thier hardware, locked bootloader or not.
As for the article that has Motorola pointing out that its the carrier that is keeping the bootloader locked, even that would be lie and just another excuse from Motorola. If it truly was the carrier that was keeping them locked, then Verizon would not be selling the Nexus, its unlocked bootlaoder would be violating their own policy. If it was the carrier, then wouldn't Verizon refuse to allow the unlocked "Developer Razr" to be used on their network? Also, it wasn't to long ago that HTC put out tools to unlock all of thier smartphones, even the ones on Verizon, like the Thunderbolt. If you ask me the "Its not us, its the carrier" ship has sailed a long time ago. It's time to man up.
Remember, crowded elevators smell different to midgets.

#7 SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick

YOU WILL HAIL!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I forget where I heard this (I swear it was someone on here) but it seems like it makes sense:

Verizon will not allow OEMs to unlock their bootloaders without forfeiting some sort of (advertising?) credits/money/something. HTC did it anyways, but as we all know Moto is not in the position to be leaving any money behind.

But if this is the case why the hell wouldn't you tell the people that so they don't think your just being royal pricks?

It's just like Netflix Q4 2011 all over again.

:-D :-D

#8 necr0

necr0

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:56 AM

Never buying a Moto device again, never.

#9 Roo

Roo

Property of ArcaneXVI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationWyoming
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

I forget where I heard this (I swear it was someone on here) but it seems like it makes sense:

Verizon will not allow OEMs to unlock their bootloaders without forfeiting some sort of (advertising?) credits/money/something. HTC did it anyways, but as we all know Moto is not in the position to be leaving any money behind.

But if this is the case why the hell wouldn't you tell the people that so they don't think your just being royal pricks?

It's just like Netflix Q4 2011 all over again.

I have read that on here too, that its Verizon's decision. From my understanding of what I read on here before, it is Verizon saying they want it locked. In exchange Verizon would more heavily advertise Moto's product.
Why does moto feel their phones will sell badly without heavy advertising? Most people who owned a moto droid perviously have a loyalty (at least I did) to another moto device when the time comes. Even without extra advertising I would have been more likely to buy a moto product again. Stuff like this makes me feel like they could care less about my loyalty in exchange for some extra kickback from Verizon. I understand everyone is in business to make money, but mainintaining a good customer relationship is just as important. I'm sick of the promises and ambiguous answers they are constantly giving. There are so many great phones and providers out there that this is not the time, nor the economy to be running off loyal customers.

#10 Raw Dodge

Raw Dodge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:32 AM

How would anyone expect Moto to warranty the hardware especially the CPU...when new kernels and software allow over clocking them and over heating/damaging them...if it can't be affected then I agree they shouldn't be able to void the hardware warranty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#11 arcanexvi

arcanexvi

Property of Roo

• Superuser
  • 869 posts
  • LocationSchaumburg, IL

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

I have read that on here too, that its Verizon's decision. From my understanding of what I read on here before, it is Verizon saying they want it locked. In exchange Verizon would more heavily advertise Moto's product.
Why does moto feel their phones will sell badly without heavy advertising? Most people who owned a moto droid perviously have a loyalty (at least I did) to another moto device when the time comes. Even without extra advertising I would have been more likely to buy a moto product again. Stuff like this makes me feel like they could care less about my loyalty in exchange for some extra kickback from Verizon. I understand everyone is in business to make money, but mainintaining a good customer relationship is just as important. I'm sick of the promises and ambiguous answers they are constantly giving. There are so many great phones and providers out there that this is not the time, nor the economy to be running off loyal customers.

Roo,

is probably my post that you saw regarding that.

Posted Image

Become a supporting member and help, get a DEV a phone, by going HERE

Please take the time to read our forum rules and guidelines.

#12 bandit420

bandit420

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Twitter:socalcctv
  • Google+:bandit132@gmail.com

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:01 PM

That low key that you speak of from owners of the original droid the droidX, it is quickly evaporating and eventually will be completely gone. This is motorola selling out to the corporate greed of verizon. I expect the sort of behavior from a cellphone provider but not from motorola and I am terribly disappointed in their loyalty to their customers. These devices cost way too much money to have so much bloatwear, locks and limitations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#13 vareba

vareba

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

Never buying a Moto device again, never.

Ditto. This (GSM/CN Retail/X910) is the first and last Moto smart phone I purchase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users