#1 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:14 AM

Curious what some of you are considering....take/flash the OTA or just wait for the full package.

thx

#2 JustAGuy

JustAGuy

This is only a test

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Z300M, Nexus 7

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

I've updated 2 devices so far to 5.1, as far as the OS goes, there is not much of any change. I'd only update if you are having bad problems.

I'm waiting for the image before I update the N6. What's a couple more days.

Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Samsung GS3, Bionic, OG Droid, SCH-i760, a flip phone or two, and a few others.

#3 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,448 posts
  • Current Device(s):S21 Ultra, Pixel 6

Posted 12 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

Already did the OTA as I'm impatient, but, it was a pain in the ass.

Non potest esse nisi unus

#4 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

Already did the OTA as I'm impatient, but, it was a pain in the ass.

We all know you just needed the practice ;)

• spainter likes this

#5 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:17 AM

Except that OTA's on new devices that have been modified in ANY WAY are a nightmare.  It MUST be returned COMPLETELY to stock.  The OTA does not hash files on system.  It hashes the system partition as a whole, so, modifying even one byte is enough to fail the assertion check.  The OTA then patches the partition rather than files.  This is not well understood for these new devices.

#6 JustAGuy

JustAGuy

This is only a test

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,258 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Hampshire
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Z300M, Nexus 7

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

They just released the factory image, so go to it.

Pixel 2 XL, Pixel XL, Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Nexus 7,  Samsung GS3, Bionic, OG Droid, SCH-i760, a flip phone or two, and a few others.

#7 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

I just used HoN to flash it on mine to ensure it'll work for everyone.  No issues.  Fully rooted 5.1 11 minutes after the image was released.  LMAO

• spainter likes this

#8 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hmm, when I run the jar file, it wont let me select the image.....never seen that one before. and this worked for me before....odd :)

#9 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:55 AM

Don't know.  Worked for me.  :D

#10 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Don't know.  Worked for me.   :D

Yeah, seriously very strange as I used HoN before and it all worked. Of course this is on my Mac, so unless there is something in the latest java that broke me, I dont know...

#11 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

If I cant figure it out, I may just edit the previous script by hand and extract the files myself :)

EDIT: NM, me a knucklehead :) for some reason I could swear I needed to do the first extraction, silly....I guess I fergot :)

#12 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,448 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:10 AM

LMAO!  The simpler I make it for people the more problems seem to crop up.  :rofl

• johnlgalt, soocold, cmh714 and 1 other like this

#13 matjmonk

matjmonk

Pack Leader to Bubba

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,662 posts
  • Google+:matjmonk@gmail.com
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013)

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:35 AM

Well dumb gluteus Maximus me decided not to use HoN to upgrade and for the first time since I started messing with Nexuses, I got bit. In the past I usually just modified the flash-all.bat file to remove the "-w", run it and then manually flash the system.img file after it errors out and everything is fine. This time, I did the same procedure, didn't see any errors but the usual one about the system.img but when I rebooted, the system went into a seriously freaky boot loop. No problem, rebooted to recovery to clear cache, but wait this isn't the stock recovery, it's TWRP!! WTF!! Hoping against hope, I used TWRP to wipe cache and data, rebooted, got the first boot asking for my PIN, entered it and made it to "starting apps" then once more got a nasty boot loop! So I figured it might be due to one of the apps doing something crazy so extracted the original flash-all.bat so that it would do the wipe, ran it, rebooted and you got it, boot loop City once more! Once again when I rebooted to recovery I saw that TWRP was still installed (mind you, I haven't been getting any errors during the flash process) so I did a standard wipe again through TWRP and got the same nasty problem. So then I thought I would flash the files using the manual steps, again, no errors, another boot loop and still had TWRP recovery (any before you ask, yes I had checked the MD5 of the download!). So getting desperate, I booted into TWRP and wiped EVERYTHING and then flashed all the files manually again. This time the phone finally booted correctly but I had, of course, lost all my data and had to set everything back up either manually or using TIBU. Needless to say, I'm not going to attempt to update the SO's whale until I figure out what went on with this install since she'll go nuts if she loses her data. I guess I'll make a backup and then fire up HoN and then reflash 5.0.1 and then 5.1 to see if this time the install will go as it's supposed to.

Posted Image
Bubba, perfide lues Odocoileus virginianus felines et ubique!

#14 SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Android Warrior

• Smod
  • 43,448 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

Um....wow.  That sucks.

• matjmonk likes this

#15 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 March 2015 - 06:23 AM

I know that when I went from unencrypted BlissPop back to a backup of encrypted Stock it wiped me out.....so I just started with a fresh flash of 5.1...at least thats what happened to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users