Photo

Droid Razr: Stay on ICS or upgrade to JB…or wait how about both?

ICS Jelly Bean Ice Cream Sandwich Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Adr14ng

Adr14ng

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Google+:adriannn55@gmail.com
  • LocationLos Angeles
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Droid Razr: Stay on ICS or upgrade to JB…or wait how about both?
By Adrian Gonzalez
I remember it like it was just two weeks ago… because it was; the long awaited, highly anticipated Jelly Bean update was finally available for our beloved Razrs sent from us from Motorola on a day none other than Christmas morning. I fastbooted, downloaded, and upgraded; I was so pleased with the responsiveness of JB it was difficult to notice anything else. Like some of you I followed Matt’s instructions and still lost root. I figured I could live with being on a stock rom despite the treachery of all the bloat ware. About a week later I noticed that my Wi-Fi wasn’t connecting as well as before the update and my cell signal was weaker as well. With all that being said, I wish I stayed on the ICS kernel, but as many of you know that once you have upgraded to the JB kernel it is impossible to go back...or is it?

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

43.05KB   120 downloads

45.85KB   120 downloads

INTRODUCING “Dual Boot Utility” by xlightwaverx, using this utility you will be able to remain on the ICS kernel and still be able to boot fully functional JB roms, ICS roms, or even JB roms for ICS! The utility is just as easy to run as Matt’s so if you’re still on ICS and want some of the JB goodness head over to the link below and run the dual boot which still allows you to be fastbootable (and rooted.) You can use this tool on .211 or .215 ICS KERNEL’S NOT JB KERNELS. It also easily installs the newest version of safestrap easily and hassle-free!
Why you should wait to upgrade to JB (and use this tool instead):
-In case you need to fastboot you can.
-There is no risk of losing root.
-If you use tethering apps such as foxfi or the mobile hotspot hack… it WILL WORK
-You can use all the new JB roms :)

Link:

All Credits for Utility go to xlightwaverx!

Thanks for reading! If you guys want to see any articles written or any apps reviewed pm me or email me at

• Digital Cha0s, zllibengood and NWKENT like this

#2 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

For those that haven't taken the plunge or haven't tried this I highly recommend you give it a shot. It's safe and works flawlessly on my device. (OG Razr XT912)
Posted Image

#3 zandersn

zandersn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Twitter:zandersn

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Are there any known issues such a the camera flash, bluetooth not working, or the screen rotation bug when using the JB?

#4 robocuff

robocuff

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

Everything works on the leak. Everything.

#5 Daino92

Daino92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Google+:chrisdaino@gmail.com
  • LocationFort Collins
  • Current Device(s):SCH-1535

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Looks like light wave did a nice job with this one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

#6 islandfever

islandfever

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

So if I am still on ICS 215 with Flick in one of my slots. Could I leave it there.....load safestrap 3.11 from this utility...create another slot (my second) then boot to jelly bean mode and flash a JB rom into slot #2?

#7 themrgoats

themrgoats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

Yes but u would need to backup your click ROM and restore it to a different slot than your first slot because unless I am mistaken jelly bean ROMs only work in the first slot at least that has been my own experience I am running flick on my third and fat free bean on my first. then whenever he want to switch just put it in bootloader mode and change the kernel and then boot up into the correct slot

#8 islandfever

islandfever

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Yes but u would need to backup your click ROM and restore it to a different slot than your first slot because unless I am mistaken jelly bean ROMs only work in the first slot at least that has been my own experience I am running flick on my third and fat free bean on my first. then whenever he want to switch just put it in bootloader mode and change the kernel and then boot up into the correct slot

So what should I do then. Right now I have Flick in my only slot. you mentioned slot three and one. What is in slot 2?

#9 themrgoats

themrgoats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

I don't have anything in slot 2 personally what i would do if i were u is backup flick, boot to safestrap, create a second rom slot, restore flick to that slot, then wipe your first slot, power off the phone and boot to the bootloader,plug in to your computer into fastboot mofe on the phone,then use the utility to flash the jb kernel, the boot the phone into safestrap and activate and flash your jb rom into slot one. Then everu every time u want to switch, plug the phone in and use the utility to switch to the proper kernel for the rom u want.

#10 Nitewolf

Nitewolf

Member of the BEST android community

• Superuser
  • 643 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm running 3 JB roms in 3 slots
Posted Image

#11 themrgoats

themrgoats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Oh really? Using dualboot? Or did u do the actual upgrade?

#12 islandfever

islandfever

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Do I need to go back to stock 215 and install safe strap 3.11?

#13 themrgoats

themrgoats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Just boot into the stock side of Safestrap and update it. Dont wipe anything

#14 Badger50

Badger50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Google+:badger50@gmail.com
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Oh really? Using dualboot? Or did u do the actual upgrade?

I used dual boot, probably like wolf did, and I too am running 3 different JB Roms in each slot. You are correct in some regards. Some of the JB Roms do require you to use slot #1. Just check the OP before you flash :-)
Posted Image

#15 themrgoats

themrgoats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Well there ya go

#16 Badger50

Badger50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Try it, you won't regret it. Not to mention you don't have to worry about losing root, and can switch bebetween ICS and JB Roms with the utility any time you want. Best of both world's :-)
Posted Image

#17 tucstwo

tucstwo

www.drdevs.com

• Administrator
  • 14,435 posts
  • Twitter:tucstwo
  • Google+:tucstwo@gmail.com
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):LG G3 VS985, Nexus 7 (flo)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Are there any known issues such a the camera flash, bluetooth not working, or the screen rotation bug when using the JB?

You're not going to see those bugs from a Motorola build. They have the ability to change the kernel which none of us do. That is the reason you see those bugs on "AOSP-like" ROMs.

Visit DRDevs.com hosting site for all official Droidrzr.com ROMs, Apps, GApps and other mods/files!!
Please PM me if you need help!
I will be hosting AOSP-Based ROM GApps packages!
Download the most Up-to-Date GApps Packages for AOSP ROMs from me here!

#18 themrgoats

themrgoats

• Dedicated Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

Oh absolutely badger. Lightwaver and the rest of the devs are freaking geniuses. And kind to share it freely

#19 Badger50

Badger50

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Oh absolutely badger. Lightwaver and the rest of the devs are freaking geniuses. And kind to share it freely

Which is why we should donate to them as often as we can. They do it for our benefit, and put in wicked long hours to do so. So let's give it up for the Devs :-)
  • Rootuser94 likes this
Posted Image

#20 zandersn

zandersn

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Twitter:zandersn

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

I have come across an issue since upgrading using the dual boot utility. I completely wiped my entire system and started from scratch by using Matt's utility and then rooted and loaded the JB kernel. I am using TripleCore V1 in Slot one for my ROM. The problem I am having is with Tweet Deck. When I try to add my Facebook account to Tweet Deck, I get a Facebook page that says, " The page you requested was not found" and then has a link that will take me to my Home Page on Facebook when it should be pulling up a permission page asking if I wish to allow Tweet Deck to access my stuff on Facebook.

I also use a widget that you can link a contacts Facebook Profile to the widget. Again, when I click ADD, I get "The page you requested was not found" again. Normally I would get a list of Facebook Contacts to chose the one that matches up with the Contact.

I can't figure out what the problem is. I can sign into Tweet Deck on my Laptop and it will work just find when adding Facebook to Tweet Deck, but when I try to do it on my Droid, it won't work. When I was on .211/ICS, I was able to use both Tweet Deck and the Widget with Facebook with no issues.

Anyone have any advice on what I can do to resolve the issue? In the morning, once my phone has a full charge, I am going to boot to .211 ICS to see if I can get it to work. I will be sure to post on what happens.

Thanks.

UPDATE:

Problem solved. When I woke up the next morning, I had an idea hit me like a freight train. The whole time I was trying to do this, I was using my 4G connection even though I was at home and within range of my WiFi Connection. I turned on the WiFi and it worked fine. Thanks for everyone that looked into a solution for me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ICS, Jelly Bean, Ice Cream Sandwich, Upgrade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users