68 replies to this topic

#1 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, Nexus 7, Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'm having an issue with adb where it thinks my OG Razr Maxx is offline. I have tried updating drivers, rebooting both the phone and computer, the kill-server command, swapping usb ports, pretty much every solution I've found through a standard google search. I'm a bit of a noob with adb, is there maybe something small or obvious i'm missing? Although i am on the JB leak, i think i remember having the same issue when i was on ICS. Thanks in advance for any help guys :)

#2 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • Twitter:TMYINC
  • LocationPA
  • Current Device(s):Razr M, GN2, Nexus 10

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

USB debugging enabled? Phone set to mtp mode? Sometimes a factory data reset helps.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

#3 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, tried all that besides the factory reset, which I'm hesitant to do since this issue has persisted across the leaked JB update and several roms i was running while i was on the ICS kernel.

#4 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, tried all that besides the factory reset, which I'm hesitant to do since this issue has persisted across the leaked JB update and several roms i was running while i was on the ICS kernel.

I can understand the hesitancy. Has adb worked at all for you on that computer?

#5 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I just connected my nexus 7. When i type "adb shell" it immediately gives me a command prompt "1:root@android", but when i try to use a command,such as adb remount, i get "error: device not found". Could this be the same issue? Bad ADB install maybe? If it's relevant, my nexus 7 is rooted, but my Razr is not. Just stock JB leak.

#6 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Well if you rooted your nexus 7 the drivers for it must be up to date. Have you tried typing in adb devices and see if either of them pop up. Do you have your path set to the right directory? If you didn't add it to your path are you changing the directory to were adb is located?

#7 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Well if you rooted your nexus 7 the drivers for it must be up to date. Have you tried typing in adb devices and see if either of them pop up. Do you have your path set to the right directory? If you didn't add it to your path are you changing the directory to were adb is located?

I never changed my path, but i always open my command prompt in the platform tools. When i type adb devices, both devices show up as "device", but inside of a shell i get that my Razr shows up as offline. If i do the same with the nexus 7 plugged in, and inside of a shell it shows nothing and just goes back to "root@android". I rooted the nexus when it was on 4.1.1, however, and flashed all updates through clockworkmod, so maybe the nexus drivers are out of date. I'll try updating them.

EDIT: Drivers were up to date. Re-installed anyways, no effect.

#8 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Unfortunately its a lot of trial and error. Sometimes uninstalling the drivers from device manager then plugging in the device and switching the USB modes and letting them auto update helps. I always boot into bootloader/fast boot also and let them auto update as well. The nexus 7 toolkit has the drivers in it so you could always use it to install the drivers. That's what I did with my nexus 10. Sorry I'm not much help. I know more about the phone end...not the computer lol.

#9 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Yeah the toolkit is what i used lol...thanks anyways though, you've been a big help. Even though we didn't get it working at least i can rule out some possible issues lol. I'll play with it a bit and see what i can do.

#10 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

While RAZR was plugged in did you try the adb kill-server? And after that did you do adb start-server?

#11 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

Also try using terminal emulator on your RAZR and type adb usb then hit enter and try adb commands from computer.

#12 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

While RAZR was plugged in did you try the adb kill-server? And after that did you do adb start-server?

I did, but ther weird thing is ADB does recognize the phone, it just thinks its offline. When i type "adb shell", it gives me "shell@cdma_spyder". It also won't let me cd anywhere, it gives me "/system/bin/sh: cd: Permission denied" when i try to cd /sdcard. This doesn't happen on the Nexus.

#13 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Also try using terminal emulator on your RAZR and type adb usb then hit enter and try adb commands from computer.

This gives me "error: device offline" in the terminal emulator.

#14 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Wow OK now I am stumped lol. Last thing to try before I need to sleep on it lol.

1. make sure the device is set for usb debugging 2. Have the adb client running (e.g. via "adb usb" or adb start-server" 3. LEAVE the device connected via usb!!! 4. AND THEN reboot the device.

#15 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

Wow OK now I am stumped lol. Last thing to try before I need to sleep on it lol.

1. make sure the device is set for usb debugging 2. Have the adb client running (e.g. via "adb usb" or adb start-server" 3. LEAVE the device connected via usb!!! 4. AND THEN reboot the device.

After doing this i can now cd to sdcard, but i still can't do anything such as "adb remount", it gives me "error: device offline", and it still shows as offline if i type "adb devices" when in a shell.

#16 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hmm I might have to look a bit more into it. A little progress but not enough. I will get back to you if I think of anything else. Maybe a computer wizz from here will chime in and save the day lol.

#17 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hmm I might have to look a bit more into it. A little progress but not enough. I will get back to you if I think of anything else. Maybe a computer wizz from here will chime in and save the day lol.

maybe i missed it but are you on a custom ROM?....stock?..... if you have safestrap installed try installing a ROM and or a different ROM and boot up normally, enable USB debugging and try again see if it recognizes it then....... also.... maybe try updating your adb by clicking "SDK manager" in the android adb folder..... (there is a new version of adb tools and platform-tools available)

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#18 misterk267

misterk267

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

maybe i missed it but are you on a custom ROM?....stock?..... if you have safestrap installed try installing a ROM and or a different ROM and boot up normally, enable USB debugging and try again see if it recognizes it then....... also.... maybe try updating your adb by clicking "SDK manager" in the android adb folder..... (there is a new version of adb tools and platform-tools available)

The RAZR is stock, nonrooted Jelly Bean leak. I lost root after bricking on the leak, and had to downgrade to .211, get into stock recovery and reapply the update. And i actually just updated SDK stuff earlier today.

#19 johnthehillbilly

johnthehillbilly

Gear jammin' S-Mod

• Smod
  • 6,470 posts
  • Twitter:@johnhillbilly
  • Google+:http://goo.gl/ColUJ .. johnthehillbilly@gmail.com
  • LocationSomewhere between here, and there...
  • Current Device(s):unlocked RAZR HD (xt926)... RAZR (xt912)

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

The RAZR is stock, nonrooted Jelly Bean leak. I lost root after bricking on the leak, and had to downgrade to .211, get into stock recovery and reapply the update. And i actually just updated SDK stuff earlier today.

hmmmmmm....... ok... i will try to find out more about this for you.... my best guess (off the top of my head) is the adb part of the firmware on your phone is corrupt or has been damaged.....

Feeding my android addiction......... one phone at a time.....

jhf.png

If you are feeling generous and would like to buy me a drink.... coffee :)

#20 tmyinc

tmyinc

Resident Insomniac

• News Writer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Thanks for looking into this too John. You are much more knowledgeable with this then I am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users