#1 kingdamuss

kingdamuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:59 PM

Recently my rebooted itself and continued to recycle in the boot loop. I easily found my way out of that and into the recovery screen and the boot loader screen, i think thats what that is, where the ap fastboot is.

My phone is not rooted, and it is locked. I believe at the time of the incident i didnt have usb debugging enabled but the fast boot see my device as does adb however it say error: closed when I try to pull files.

Ive done some research and came to the conclusion that id have to factory reset with the possibility of recovering those files with one of the many recovery programs knowing the reset might not work. that which is what is indeeeeeeeeed what happened.

It still continues to stay stuck on the droid unless i put it into one of the two screen or get it to stay off and charge. I was running the stock firmware on it which i cant find to save my life. Now my only priority is getting the user data, ie: family photos, travel photos and videos, and music from there.

Does anybody have any advice as to how can at best recover that data, and if possible, restore my phone to a usable state?

thanks for any and all help that you can provide.

#2 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 04 May 2015 - 08:23 PM

Recently my rebooted itself and continued to recycle in the boot loop. I easily found my way out of that and into the recovery screen and the boot loader screen, i think thats what that is, where the ap fastboot is.

My phone is not rooted, and it is locked. I believe at the time of the incident i didnt have usb debugging enabled but the fast boot see my device as does adb however it say error: closed when I try to pull files.

Ive done some research and came to the conclusion that id have to factory reset with the possibility of recovering those files with one of the many recovery programs knowing the reset might not work. that which is what is indeeeeeeeeed what happened.

It still continues to stay stuck on the droid unless i put it into one of the two screen or get it to stay off and charge. I was running the stock firmware on it which i cant find to save my life. Now my only priority is getting the user data, ie: family photos, travel photos and videos, and music from there.

Does anybody have any advice as to how can at best recover that data, and if possible, restore my phone to a usable state?

thanks for any and all help that you can provide.

If the pictures are on a sd card you are ok, If they were on the internal storage and you did a factory reset they are gone. We might be able to find the fxz file if you know what version you were on.  4.xx is not a version.  Look here for the file version and use house of moto to flash it.  It will give you the chance to flash with out overwritting the user data and save your files.  Make sure you are charged up before you flash. You can flash the same version or newer to your phone while it is locked.  If you end up flashing the newest version unlocking doesn't work but there are now ways to gain root. Here is a place to look for the fxz file.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

#3 kingdamuss

kingdamuss

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Current Device(s):Razr M

Posted 04 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

If the pictures are on a sd card you are ok, If they were on the internal storage and you did a factory reset they are gone. We might be able to find the fxz file if you know what version you were on.  4.xx is not a version.  Look here for the file version and use house of moto to flash it.  It will give you the chance to flash with out overwritting the user data and save your files.  Make sure you are charged up before you flash. You can flash the same version or newer to your phone while it is locked.  If you end up flashing the newest version unlocking doesn't work but there are now ways to gain root. Here is a place to look for the fxz file.

They were on the internal storage. Do you know if any of those recovery programs are known to work well if at all? I'm currently waiting for the fxz file to download to begin the process. I was not able to retrieve it from the site.

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:36 PM

I won't say they don't work, but I have never had much luck with them after a factory reset.  Thats why I keep good backups of pics and things I don't want to loose.  Being unlocked I always have root access and use a custom recovery for backups of my phones, and tablets. If you hadn't factory reset we could have flashed the phone and left the user data alone.  When you flash the phone read all the instructions and follow them close.  If there is a chance to get a recovery program to work that will give you the best chance.

• jl90 likes this

#5 gwade12

gwade12

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

I hate to hijack this post, but I'm having somewhat the same issue. My buddy has a Razr M that just suddenly quit working one day. After plugged in for a few minutes, it will attempt to boot, but it gets stuck at the red eye. I've tried simulating a battery pull - nothing. When I try to get into recovery, the phone just shuts off, sits for a few minutes, then attempts to boot again. Alas I pulled the phone apart and actually pulled the battery - still nothing. I can't get my computer to register that the phone is connected. I downloaded Android File Transfer (it was suggested on a forum I was reading through), but it won't pick up that the phone is connected either. He's already gotten a new phone, and he is mainly concerned with getting his photos from the phone. However, I know how much he liked the phone, and I would love to fix it for him since he is always fixing my stuff lol. Any ideas? I know the phone hasn't been reset yet.

#6 gwade12

gwade12

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Forgot to mention - he also was running everything factory and locked. I doubt he had usb debugging enabled.

#7 gwade12

gwade12

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:51 PM

UPDATE: I managed to get the phone into fastboot mode and also recovery mode. I wiped the cache partition and tried rebooting, but I'm still not having any luck.

#8 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 June 2015 - 06:59 PM

Forgot to mention - he also was running everything factory and locked. I doubt he had usb debugging enabled.

Can you get the phone into fastboot mode? There is a thread here that will tell you how to use a key combo to boot right into fastboot.

But first start by reading this thread.

From there if that gives you a security error he was already on the .15 version and you will have to flash that.

#9 MustangChuck

MustangChuck

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 October 2015 - 05:47 PM

I am having a similar problem.  About two weeks ago, my phone simply shut off (with full battery).  Once I finally got it to boot, I would simply get the Droid In Distress screen.  I can get it into the Android system recovery menu.  I am running KDA20.62-51.1 on a completely locked down RAZR M.

Things I have tried:

Wipe cache partition

Wipe data/factory reset (yup, my data is gone, but I had backups of most of it)

Apply update from sdcard (with VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_1FF.xml.zip and VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip) -- these result in Installation aborted.

Apply update from ADB -- ADB will not see the device from Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6 -- I had USB debugging enabled before the crash, but don't know what the status of this is after the data wipe/reset attempts.

RSD Lite 6.1.5 from Windows 7 -- Again the device is not found.

I have a factory cable to give the phone power.  Is this why the device is not visible with ADB and RSD Lite?

Do I need to apply updates from the sdcard unpacked or still zipped?  If unpacked, do I choose the XML file do the update from?  EDIT -- I have an answer for these questions.  It will only look for .zip files, so they must still be zipped.

Thanks,

Chuck

#10 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:02 PM

I am having a similar problem.  About two weeks ago, my phone simply shut off (with full battery).  Once I finally got it to boot, I would simply get the Droid In Distress screen.  I can get it into the Android system recovery menu.  I am running KDA20.62-51.1 on a completely locked down RAZR M.

Things I have tried:

Wipe cache partition

Wipe data/factory reset (yup, my data is gone, but I had backups of most of it)

Apply update from sdcard (with VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_1FF.xml.zip and VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip) -- these result in Installation aborted.

Apply update from ADB -- ADB will not see the device from Windows 7 or Mac OS X 10.6 -- I had USB debugging enabled before the crash, but don't know what the status of this is after the data wipe/reset attempts.

RSD Lite 6.1.5 from Windows 7 -- Again the device is not found.

I have a factory cable to give the phone power.  Is this why the device is not visible with ADB and RSD Lite?

Do I need to apply updates from the sdcard unpacked or still zipped?  If unpacked, do I choose the XML file do the update from?  EDIT -- I have an answer for these questions.  It will only look for .zip files, so they must still be zipped.

Thanks,

Chuck

Neither one of the files you mention above can not be flashed from recovery and may have messed up your phone in the attempt.   Setup and flash with House of Moto 4.3. Read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter.  If there is a chance to bring your phone back SamuriHL's House Of Moto will give you the best chance. 

#11 MustangChuck

MustangChuck

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:38 PM

I gave House of Moto a try and still no go.  The problem is I still cannot connect to the phone.  I followed the directions, used Windows 7, even uninstalled and reinstalled the Motorola device driver it recommended.  No connection.  I am using the factory cable, not the original, because the phone does not have any battery remaining.

If I cannot flash from the sdcard the files I have, what files (and where can I find them) are flashable from the sdcard?  That, at the moment, seems to be my best option. 

Can the factory cable be used for charging?

Thank you,

Chuck

#12 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:27 PM

I gave House of Moto a try and still no go.  The problem is I still cannot connect to the phone.  I followed the directions, used Windows 7, even uninstalled and reinstalled the Motorola device driver it recommended.  No connection.  I am using the factory cable, not the original, because the phone does not have any battery remaining.

If I cannot flash from the sdcard the files I have, what files (and where can I find them) are flashable from the sdcard?  That, at the moment, seems to be my best option. 

Can the factory cable be used for charging?

Thank you,

Chuck

With the phone off plug the phone into the computer using a usb 2.0 port on the computer.  The reason the phone isn't connecting is you will have to be in fastboot mode to get it to recognize it.  With the phone off and plugged in hold the volume - and the power key for a few seconds and release both. The phone should be in fastboot mode and the computer should see it.  You then should be able to flash with house of moto.  No FXZ files can be applied from the sd card.

#13 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 18 October 2015 - 07:42 PM

It works a little easier to press and hold the volume down while press and release the power button.

sent from my N6 on Marshmellows

• spainter likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#14 MustangChuck

MustangChuck

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:01 AM

Thank you both.  How will I know I am in fastboot?  What should the screen look like?

When I plug the phone in with the factory cable, it automatically boots into Android In Distress.  I can hold the volume down and tap the power to get into recovery.  I can choose to reboot, which turns it off.

Chuck

#15 MustangChuck

MustangChuck

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 04:01 AM

What files can be applied from the sd card?

#16 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:16 AM

What files can be applied from the sd card?

You are confusing a custom rom install with a firmware flash. Custom roms are installed via custom recovery from a sd card or internal storage.  Factory firmware is the operating system and basic setup for the phone to run, it has to be flashed via computer. Since you are bootloader locked you can't load a custom recovery and can not sideload a custom rom. The only way you are going to recover your phone is to get it to flash a factory firmware image. Since I don't have a xt 907 to pickup and look at and try the various key combos, I suggest that if the volume - and power gets you into recovery one of the other combos like volume+ and power or both volume keys at the same time and power should give you different results.

#17 MustangChuck

MustangChuck

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:57 AM

Thank you again.  I'll give these a try when I can.

#18 MustangChuck

MustangChuck

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Ok, I finally got it into the fastboot menu.  With my situation, I had to do this:  Pluged the phone in using the factory cable, waited for the Red M and then held all three buttons.  Once the phone shut off, quickly released and pressed the power.  Held for about 10 seconds and the first menu popped up.  Quickly scrolled down and chose the fastboot menu.  Boom, I was in.

I verified that I could see the phone via the command line ("fastboot devices").  Used House of Moto to process the zip image (VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip) and started the script.  After about 2 minutes, I saw some failed to repartition messages, but let it go for another 3.5 hours.  It didn't move off the first file, so I pulled the plug to try again.  And I bricked it.  Now I'm not even getting the green power dot to come on.  Oh well.  It was dead (and I probably mortally wounded it with my previous attempts) any way.

Chuck

#19 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:30 AM

Ok, I finally got it into the fastboot menu. With my situation, I had to do this: Pluged the phone in using the factory cable, waited for the Red M and then held all three buttons. Once the phone shut off, quickly released and pressed the power. Held for about 10 seconds and the first menu popped up. Quickly scrolled down and chose the fastboot menu. Boom, I was in.

I verified that I could see the phone via the command line ("fastboot devices"). Used House of Moto to process the zip image (VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip) and started the script. After about 2 minutes, I saw some failed to repartition messages, but let it go for another 3.5 hours. It didn't move off the first file, so I pulled the plug to try again. And I bricked it. Now I'm not even getting the green power dot to come on. Oh well. It was dead (and I probably mortally wounded it with my previous attempts) any way.

Chuck

It looks like a memory failure. As this model is getting older we are seeing more of it, xt907 - xt926. We are seeing several per week now,

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

#20 MustangChuck

MustangChuck

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:48 PM

Pretty sad. It had worked reliably for two solid years. But I replaced it with a new Motorola Droid Turbo. Not really liking Android 5, though.

Thanks for the help.

Chuck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users