Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Current Device(s):Moto G

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:24 AM

I am new to this forum, english is not my native language (french is), and I am not an expert in mobile phone.

My razr i (xt890) was purchased in january 2014, retailed version, worked fine, but one day it collapsed. I have read similar situation as mines on different forum, thus the problem is not new, but I was not able to get a solution.

From the fastboot menu, after power, volume (-), only the "power off" option works. All other menu option leads to a blocked 'M' logo, or reboots. No way to use 'recovery' or 'factory' options.

I tried to unlock the phone, got the number following the procedure on the Motorola website, had the code returned from Motorola, but the unlock operation failed.

In the fastboot menu, there is the message below:

E: Can't read/dev/block/misc

(bad file number)

E:failed to get BOS sync msg from MISC

fastboot Reasons:

fastboot:max download size : 100 MB

I read on some forum that it means that the internal sd card is corrupted

If the full Android Studio bundle is beyond my understanding, I can send the fastboot.exe commands from a command line

I have installed RSDlite 6.1, found somewhere a ROM image, but the flashing process never started.

I am not sure if I made myself clear, but is the xt890 just dead, or something can still be done ?

#2 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

I am new to this forum, english is not my native language (french is), and I am not an expert in mobile phone.

My razr i (xt890) was purchased in january 2014, retailed version, worked fine, but one day it collapsed. I have read similar situation as mines on different forum, thus the problem is not new, but I was not able to get a solution.

From the fastboot menu, after power, volume (-), only the "power off" option works. All other menu option leads to a blocked 'M' logo, or reboots. No way to use 'recovery' or 'factory' options.

I tried to unlock the phone, got the number following the procedure on the Motorola website, had the code returned from Motorola, but the unlock operation failed.

In the fastboot menu, there is the message below:

E: Can't read/dev/block/misc

(bad file number)

E:failed to get BOS sync msg from MISC

fastboot Reasons:

fastboot:max download size : 100 MB

I read on some forum that it means that the internal sd card is corrupted

If the full Android Studio bundle is beyond my understanding, I can send the fastboot.exe commands from a command line

I have installed RSDlite 6.1, found somewhere a ROM image, but the flashing process never started.

I am not sure if I made myself clear, but is the xt890 just dead, or something can still be done ?

After doing some research the file you probably need is Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU.zip.  I have not been able to find a good download site for it though. This thread may help you

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• rickw likes this

#3 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

Thank you Spainter  for the answer.

I downloaded a zip file, withe suggested name from :

I shall not install it tonight, but in a day or two.

As a beginner, correct me if I am wrong, but the next step is to connect the phone to the PC through the USB cable, launch the fastboot mode, and from the PC run RSDlite, then cross the fingers, or something else should be done ?

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 14 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

Thank you Spainter  for the answer.

I downloaded a zip file, withe suggested name from :

I shall not install it tonight, but in a day or two.

As a beginner, correct me if I am wrong, but the next step is to connect the phone to the PC through the USB cable, launch the fastboot mode, and from the PC run RSDlite, then cross the fingers, or something else should be done ?

Make sure you are using a motorola cable The one that comes from the factory with the phone not a after market cable. Some of the after market cables will cause problems with flashing.  Use a usb 2.0 port on the computer. You may have already found the threads for the 980 but a look through there may be of some help

• rickw likes this

#5 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:38 PM

Thank you for the suggestion to use the original Motorola USB cable.

Nevertheless, I am still looking for the Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU file.

The one downloaded from

did not work, or was corrupted. in addition Norton Antivirus flags it as risky.

Any suggestion for another download link ?

#6 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:27 AM

Thank you for the suggestion to use the original Motorola USB cable.

Nevertheless, I am still looking for the Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU file.

The one downloaded from

did not work, or was corrupted. in addition Norton Antivirus flags it as risky.

Any suggestion for another download link ?

I would google the full file name and see if you can find it there in Europe.  I just tried that link I gave you and didn't get a norton av error using the download now option.  The download option uses a download accelerator that could cause the problem.

#7 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:53 PM

Still no progress.

Bootloader cannot be unlocked (fastboot oem Key), using the key sent by motorola, the process fails.

Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU file. obtained from

does not load using RSD lite 6.1.6. I get an error message when trying to open the zip file. Flashing does not even starts

On a forum in french, I found "CFC_9.8.2I-50_SMI-26_S7_USASMIJBRTEU.xml.zip". RSD lite can load the file, starts, but fails: says'Failed flashing process 1/12 flash gpt "gpt_signed"...

Now where to go ?

#8 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

CFC_9.8.2I-50_SMI-26_S7_USASMIJBRTEU.xml.zip  That appears to be a older version. That would explain the gpt error since you can't downgrade the security on the partition. It is going to have to be the same version or newer than the phone is running.  I will keep looking here but not having much luck with EU versions.

#9 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the reply, you are certainly right.

#10 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:36 PM

I forgot to ask, is rsd lite the proper way to flash the file "Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU.zip" that I found, as you suggested, or is there another way. as said earlier, I am not an expert..

#11 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:57 PM

I forgot to ask, is rsd lite the proper way to flash the file "Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU.zip" that I found, as you suggested, or is there another way. as said earlier, I am not an expert..

RSD lite wil do the job for you.  I have RSD lite setup here.  However I use House Of Moto

You have to follow the instructions to the letter.  Make sure you read and read again before you flash. It will let you customize the flash for saving user data etc where you have to edit the xml file for rsd lite.  As you get use to flashing and working with firmware and roms on phones you will get to appreicate the flexibility HOM gives you.

#12 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

Thanks again for the advice. Following your suggestion, I downloaded HouseOfMoto-4.1.zip; the link

gets nowhere, however, it seems to have been moved to

there is a large collection of firmware files there, however, as far as I can see, there is none for the razr i (xt890), or have I missed it ?

#13 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thanks again for the advice. Following your suggestion, I downloaded HouseOfMoto-4.1.zip; the link

gets nowhere, however, it seems to have been moved to

there is a large collection of firmware files there, however, as far as I can see, there is none for the razr i (xt890), or have I missed it ?

That site has been like a yoyo lately up and down, right now it is down. You still have the one you downloaded yesterday?

#14 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:09 AM

Hi Spainter,

I had kept the file and tested it today using HouseOfMoto. The flashing process starts, but after a while stops with the message below:

Custom recovery not found.
   Using factory image: Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU.zip
   Extracting: gpt.bin
   ...CRC32 checksum: 2031414074
   Extracting: recovery_source.img
   ...CRC32 checksum: 2692336164
   Extracting: recovery_target.img
   ...CRC32 checksum: 1010840333
   ERROR: XML script not found in this factory image.  This is not yet supported

This a more detailed message, but with about the same conclusion that I had, when previously using RSD Lite 6.1.6; it seems that a file or a line is missing in the recently downloaded file: Blur_Version.990.43.74.XT890.Retail.en.EU.zip

#15 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:54 AM

After browsing different forums, it seems that I am not the only one in this situation. Namely, the razr i was working fine under Jelly Bean, then I accepted the proposed OTA update to Kitcat. For a few days, it worked fine, and then without notice, the phone just collapsed, becoming blocked on the M motto. Now, for the moment,  there seems to be no firmware to flash the mobile to a kitcat version, and attempting to flash to an earlier a JB version, either would not work or, worse, would brick the mobile. Have I missed something ?

#16 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

After browsing different forums, it seems that I am not the only one in this situation. Namely, the razr i was working fine under Jelly Bean, then I accepted the proposed OTA update to Kitcat. For a few days, it worked fine, and then without notice, the phone just collapsed, becoming blocked on the M motto. Now, for the moment,  there seems to be no firmware to flash the mobile to a kitcat version, and attempting to flash to an earlier a JB version, either would not work or, worse, would brick the mobile. Have I missed something ?

That is also what I have been seeing except I have not seen anything about a kitkat update for that phone. The only official firmware I have seen is Jelly Bean.

#17 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

As I said, I am not an expert, but the problem happened after accepting a software update last month, using the phone normally, I believed that it was going to Android 4.4.

Is it a deadend, or something could still be done?. It seems that Motoral made a mistake by proposing a software update to its phone users.

#18 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

As I said, I am not an expert, but the problem happened after accepting a software update last month, using the phone normally, I believed that it was going to Android 4.4.

Is it a deadend, or something could still be done?. It seems that Motoral made a mistake by proposing a software update to its phone users.

It looks like until they release a image for the newer firmware there isn't anything I have seen that would help.  I will keep my eye open though. I would suggest you do the same there because it will show up in Europe before here.

#19 Aimesse

Aimesse

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

In the meantime, I sincerely wishes to thank you for your prompt replies, and for your kind patience toward my naive questions.

#20 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

You are right about KitKat.  You may have to create an account but here is moto's EU site. You may beable to email them and do some good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users