• Please log in to reply
848 replies to this topic

#261 dmlsthe1

dmlsthe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Don't keep me in suspense. LOL do you know how to do it. will definitely work with 4.1.1? So for all the tethering apps I found so far they keep on prompting me saying checking subscription plan. will this fix it?

The sqlite hack should fix that but i don't know how to do it off top of my head. I use wifi Tether for root users. Have you tried it?

#262 superfly611

superfly611

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD & Vizio Tablet

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

my phone is not rooted and im running 4.1.1 i'm afraid to root it. i really dont want to brick it and that would be my luck.

#263 durango992007

durango992007

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

I understand that this answer might be in the thread somewhere, but it might just be a little easier to ask and have some answer than read the whole thread. Is it possible to return back to stock 4.1.2 JB after rooting? Not really sure I want to root and and not be able to revert back to stock. Thanks a lot!

#264 dmlsthe1

dmlsthe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

my phone is not rooted and im running 4.1.1 i'm afraid to root it. i really dont want to brick it and that would be my luck.

I don't think it's possible to get free wifi without root on jb. I believe Foxfi was the only way but it does not currently work on jb. There may be options through usb but i don't think you'll find wifi tethering possible without root.
Before i had root my phone when i was on ics i tried using the built usb tethering and it worked. I didn't get redirected to any Web pages or anything. I never saw anytime mention that but thought you might think it's worth a shot.

I'm totally unsure of this part but from my understanding you should than be able to use (a capable) computer as Thu wifi hotspot using the internet being tethered through usb. I saw the possibility on windows 7

#265 dmlsthe1

dmlsthe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

I understand that this answer might be in the thread somewhere, but it might just be a little easier to ask and have some answer than read the whole thread. Is it possible to return back to stock 4.1.2 JB after rooting? Not really sure I want to root and and not be able to revert back to stock. Thanks a lot!

I'm not too sure how it works but you can check out the unbrick utility.

Edit: do not use the unbrick utility if you are already on jellybean

#266 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I'm not too sure how it works but you can check it the unbrick utility here

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Do NOT use that utility. Its not for you.....Once you root the best you can do is "unroot". However, depending on your phone, there is a code that says whether you are or have been rooted.

#267 superfly611

superfly611

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I don't think it's possible to get free wifi without root on jb. I believe Foxfi was the only way but it does not currently work on jb. There may be options through usb but i don't think you'll find wifi tethering possible without root.
Before i had root my phone when i was on ics i tried using the built usb tethering and it worked. I didn't get redirected to any Web pages or anything. I never saw anytime mention that but thought you might think it's worth a shot.

I'm totally unsure of this part but from my understanding you should than be able to use (a capable) computer as Thu wifi hotspot using the internet being tethered through usb. I saw the possibility on windows 7

I used to use that app. It worked great Until Verizon got smart. I could probably deal with just doing USB tethering. I know PDA net works great so far. I wonder when Verizon will get smart to that. Should I do something to prevent it from doing an update and preventing that from working?

If I don't really mind dealing with the USB tethering. why else should I root? What else would be some of the benefits to it?

#268 superfly611

superfly611

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Do NOT use that utility. Its not for you.....Once you root the best you can do is "unroot". However, depending on your phone, there is a code that says whether you are or have been rooted.

Yes I read that thread more carefully and I see it says Do Not use this if you have jellybean. Good thing I did not try it yet and brick my phone.

#269 cmh714

cmh714

Tech Service & Beyond

• Smod
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationSoCal
  • Current Device(s):Nexus 6

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

I used to use that app. It worked great Until Verizon got smart. I could probably deal with just doing USB tethering. I know PDA net works great so far. I wonder when Verizon will get smart to that. Should I do something to prevent it from doing an update and preventing that from working?

If I don't really mind dealing with the USB tethering. why else should I root? What else would be some of the benefits to it?

Making backups, custom ROM's that run better...

#270 dmlsthe1

dmlsthe1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yes I read that thread more carefully and I see it says Do Not use this if you have jellybean. Good thing I did not try it yet and brick my phone.

Sorry about making that so easy to mess yourself up. I updated the post and took out the link for people who just jump into to it without reading. I also added that you shouldn't you use if you're on jb. However, i thought that someone had used it to return to stock for warranty purposes which is why i posted it. Once again my apologies. I was only trying to help

Making backups, custom ROM's that run better...

+1

P.s. Many custom ROMs have have tweaks such as 1% battery, volume rocker to skip songs, and many others

#271 superfly611

superfly611

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

no worries man. it would've been my fault if i didn't do my research and read more. i was being lazy and skimming.
as for battery tweaks and things like that, its not to appealing to me. i guess rooting wouldn't be for me. the only main thing i would like to have back is wifi tethering but its ok dealing with a wire. its cool.

#272 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

For some reason all my emails from this forum are going to spam I requested instant on delivery. I didnt realize it at first because I dont ck spam very often. Am I doing something wrong should I set something different? Doing the same on phone as well.

#273 satman80

satman80

Gny. Sgt. Hartman

• Administrator
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPluto
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr HD Maxx, Moto X Developer Edition

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:34 AM

For some reason all my emails from this forum are going to spam I requested instant on delivery. I didnt realize it at first because I dont ck spam very often. Am I doing something wrong should I set something different? Doing the same on phone as well.

Add to safe list, unspam

Signature Made & Protected by zooyork0721

Posted Image

Site Rules and Guidelines

#274 Redalert

Redalert

Half Man, Half Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationNJ
  • Current Device(s):Note 3 / Razr Maxx / Droid2 / LG Ally / Moto Q / Nexus 10

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

Add to safe list, unspam

Make sure the domain is added to safe as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk2

Posted Image

#275 wooddale

wooddale

Droid Master

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 936 posts
  • Twitter:benuti1
  • LocationIl & WI
  • Current Device(s):Note 2 , Razr Maxx Hd

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I Ill try that weird though that one came through may be it is because Im on AOL.

#276 copax

copax

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

I apologize in advance if this is answered somewhere else in the thread, I did my best to look for it. I got the razr maxx hd yesterday, and fully updated OTA. Later I decided I'd try to root it. I tried the steps listed in the OP but ran into problems others have had, permission denied errors, ln failures, etc. Some have said this is due to still being on ICS, but I'm currently running 4.1.1. I tried doing a factory reset, but I'm still running into the same problems. I've seen people mention reapplying the OTA update after a factory reset. How do I do that? Is there someplace I can download the latest update and reapply off of the sd card?

#277 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

I apologize in advance if this is answered somewhere else in the thread, I did my best to look for it. I got the razr maxx hd yesterday, and fully updated OTA. Later I decided I'd try to root it. I tried the steps listed in the OP but ran into problems others have had, permission denied errors, ln failures, etc. Some have said this is due to still being on ICS, but I'm currently running 4.1.1. I tried doing a factory reset, but I'm still running into the same problems. I've seen people mention reapplying the OTA update after a factory reset. How do I do that? Is there someplace I can download the latest update and reapply off of the sd card?

This thread is for XT912 only not the HD. For the HD , Since you are in JB you must roll back to ICS using matts utility

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

[Windows] and root then protect root, temp unroot, run the update, then back to root.

Let me know if I missed something. I'm still sick and not thinking 100%.

DROID BIONIC on 246 via Tapatalk

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#278 copax

copax

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

My apologies. Thank you livinginkhaos, I got confused.

#279 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

My apologies. Thank you livinginkhaos, I got confused.

No prob.

DROID BIONIC on 246 via Tapatalk

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#280 samuelsonv82

samuelsonv82

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Current Device(s):RazR XT912

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

After the root is complete, how do I get rid of the factory apps like facebook and kindle? Also, does the appearance not change at all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users