• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Probably one of the most irritating things for me with JB OTA is that a long-press on the search button no longer launches voice search. Is there a way to change that?

#2 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

I agree. I never used voice search as such; I left the default action unselected so I basically used long-press search as a shortcut. For example I could get to SoundHound for a quick music search that way.
One possible solution:
Apex just had an update that allows you to set a long-press action for the Menu key - voice search is in the list.
I do wish it would just work the same as before though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3 nukeruss

nukeruss

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Twitter:nukeruss
  • Google+:nukeruss
  • LocationPalmyra, PA
  • Current Device(s):Razr Maxx XT912

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

Once Google now launched, just say "Google" and voice search launches.

Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx on JB Christmas Gift from Verizon :). Tried it first using dual boot method. (JB Dual Boot - XT912)

#4 lutheranpriest

lutheranpriest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:00 AM

I'm using Nova launcher, and they also have an option for a longpress on the Menu button. Now I have a quick link to both Voice Search and Google Now, the best of both worlds!

#5 akili

akili

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Nvm. Read the post about apex and nova wrong.

#6 n00dle

n00dle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

Of course, long pressing menu only works when on the home screen. Would be nice if it could be accessed from within any app.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#7 BUTNMSHR

BUTNMSHR

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I also find this terribly irritating, and I chalk it up to a lack of concern on Motos part. I think its a "feature" and not a bug. Right after setup, when it tells you how to use the home screen, there's a little text bubble pointing to the search key that says "tap or long press for Google Now" which says to me that this is intentional. I'm guessing its spitting out the same keycode on taps and long presses (217) instead of 217 on taps and 127 on long presses. I see that the proper config files are in place for taps and long presses on all the hard keys, even double taps, but that means nothing if the keys are all just sending one code regardless of how long or how many times you tap. But that's the thing!!!! Long presses and double taps STILL WORK!!! So whatever framework that controls all that is in place, just not configured. I even uninstalled Google Now all the way and installed the old school Voice Searxh, long press still didnt bring it up, so im relatively positive its a device/OS thing and not the apk. And I'm nooooooooo programmer, so I have noooooo idea how to fix it. Going to keep poking, hopefully someone who knows what's up comes along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users