• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hi all, I'm really hoping you can help me sort this out.

I have an unlocked bootloader, and was running 4.4.2 (I'm not sure of the exact build).

On 7/4/15 my phone started behaving erratically. Background apps kept crashing, and I couldn't turn my flashlight app on. I rebooted the phone with no change.

On 7/5/15 the phone continued behaving erratically, where the Home button would display the recently used programs instead, and I couldn't get back to the Home screen. I tried rebooting the phone again, but it wouldn't boot, getting stuck on the red eye. I tried rebooting in Safe Mode, but got stuck on the red eye again.

I was able to access the recovery options. I went into FastBoot and installed TWRP 2.8.6.0. TWRP seems to be working fine.

I tried making a backup with TWRP, but that failed. I assumed that the software install was corrupt.

I did a full wipe (system, cache, davlik cache, data).

I used TWRP to flash Exodus 5.1-20150705 and Slim-mini-Gapps Beta 5.1 build 0.x-20150702.

Exodus won't boot, stuck on the spinning colored spheres.

This was my first time using TWRP or flashing a custom rom, but I followed the directions carefully.

When I boot into TWRP, checking the log it shows "Updating partition details..." followed by a bunch of "E:Unable to stat x" errors for chrome, plus, and fitbit in the data/data/ folder, then says "...done. Full SELinux support is present, MTP Enabled."

I don't know what to try from here. Help, please!

#2 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

Try doing the same again with a couple wipes per partition and re-install it again with just the rom.  let it boot up and then install the gapps on a seperate boot into twrp;

#3 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

Ok, so do several wipes in TWRP per partition (data, system, cache, devlik cache), then install just the rom, then after the rom boots up go back into TWRP to install Gapps?

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

Ok, so do several wipes in TWRP per partition (data, system, cache, devlik cache), then install just the rom, then after the rom boots up go back into TWRP to install Gapps?

correct.  I got that info from the rom thread.

#5 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

I did three wipes for each partition (with the above mentioned "Unable to stat" errors coming up each time), then installed the rom by itself. It still won't boot. It's been stuck on the boot screen with the spinning spheres for an hour.

#6 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

The next thing to try is to flash all the way back to stock.  If the partition data is corrupt this can straighten it out as long as it is not caused by a hardware failure in the flash memory.  If it won't flash using this proceedure then it is likely a hardware failure which seems like is getting more common. Be sure to read this thread carefully and follow the instructions to the letter.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

Since you are unlocked you can flash the .15 build and just flash twrp after to regain root.

#7 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:35 AM

I tried installing a different rom, Dirty Unicorns this time, with the same error. It gets stuck booting up on the spinning disk behind the unicorn.

#8 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

The next thing to try is to flash all the way back to stock.  If the partition data is corrupt this can straighten it out as long as it is not caused by a hardware failure in the flash memory.  If it won't flash using this proceedure then it is likely a hardware failure which seems like is getting more common. Be sure to read this thread carefully and follow the instructions to the letter.

Since you are unlocked you can flash the .15 build and just flash twrp after to regain root.

The third download for the FXZ file doesn't go anywhere. Should I use the FXZ file 4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1 from this post: 

?

#9 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

#10 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. Flashing now. Fingers metaphorically crossed.

#11 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

Keeping a log here of what I'm doing, and the results, for troubleshooting.

Flashed using House of Moto, using the FXZ image above and a TWRP 2.8.6.0 image for xt926 I found online (and had previously flashed) for custom recovery.

I got an error when selecting Install SuperSU in the flashme.bat script, specifically:

Downloading 'boot.img'...

OKAY

booting...

Command restricted

FAILED (remote failure)

finished.

Select Reboot

Select System

Swipe to install SuperSU

After the system reboots, install SuperSU from the play store.

I followed the above steps, but on rebooting I saw AP Fastboot come up again with the Flash Failure message. The phone is unlocked, so I'm guessing my phone doesn't support booting recovery from memory, so I'll need to re-run the flashme.bat without using the SuperSU option. Doing so now.

#12 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:07 AM

Flashing again without using the SuperSU option seems to have worked. The phone got past the boot screen.

It displayed an error message saying "System UIDs Inconsistent: UIDs on the system are inconsistent, you need to wipe your data partition or you device will be unstable." I chose the "I'm feeling lucky" option since that's all I could do, which brought me to the Welcome screen, but also brought up an error message about Google+ crashing. 

Am I okay using the phone as is, or do I need to flash again wiping the userdata partition? Or does it mean that I need to reboot into TWRP and have it wipe the data partition?

#13 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

Flashing again without using the SuperSU option seems to have worked. The phone got past the boot screen.

It displayed an error message saying "System UIDs Inconsistent: UIDs on the system are inconsistent, you need to wipe your data partition or you device will be unstable." I chose the "I'm feeling lucky" option since that's all I could do, which brought me to the Welcome screen, but also brought up an error message about Google+ crashing. 

Am I okay using the phone as is, or do I need to flash again wiping the userdata partition? Or does it mean that I need to reboot into TWRP and have it wipe the data partition?

when you flash back to stock it resets the user id you can reflash twrp and use the factory reset function to wipe the cache and data partition.  The next time the phone boots up you will have to go through the complete setup adding all your accounts etc just like it was a new phone.  You can also let twrp re root your phone.  It will prompt you for that. Remember when you flash twrp you have to boot directly back into twrp from the fastboot screen or the factory reset will overwrite twrp and will appear that the flash didn't work.

#14 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:33 AM

I did the factory reset in TWRP to wipe the cache, devlik cache, and data partition, but am still getting the System UIDs Inconsistent error. I encountered an error where I had no cellular data, but I think I resolved that.

I was able to install a few apps, but then started getting "Unknown error code during application install: -24" error when trying to install. I tried the to clear Google Play Store with "Force Stop -> Uninstall Updates -> Clear data", but that didn't fix the issue.

I used Fix Permissions in TWRP, which seemed to fix the System UIDs error, and also had it install SuperSU when it prompted me to. I'm still getting the "Unknown error code during application install -24" preventing me from installing any new applications.

#15 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:39 AM

It looks like the "Unknown error code 24" may be related to having root, and trying to re-install apps that I had previously? I can update apps just fine, and I can install new apps.

#16 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

It looks like the "Unknown error code 24" may be related to having root, and trying to re-install apps that I had previously? I can update apps just fine, and I can install new apps.

From First & Geek

Using some Root File Handling applications

This is another easy and recommended way of solving this error. With your default file manager application, you can’t handle or access the root files of your device. One of the recommended app is Root browser with which you can handle the root files easily.

Step1:- Download and Install

Step2:- Give the app necessary privilege.

Step3:- There you could able to locate a folder named “data”.

Step4:- Inside “data” folder, there will be again a folder named data. Open it.

Step5:- Now you could see several folders which have name similar to those apps you have installed. For eg: For clash of clans it will be com.supercell.clashofclans. You should look, for what app you are getting the problem.

Step6:- Now delete that entire folder. In my case, I should delete folder named com.supercell.clashofclans

Step7:- Then try to install the app again from Google Play Store.

If the 1 & 2 method didn’t worked, go for 3rd method.

#3: Factory resetting your device

This is the method which works 100%. If you are not capable of fixing this error by the first or second method, then do a hard reset. I hope You know how to reset your device.

• Just Go to settings
  • Phone and Storage
  • Factory Reset

We won’t recommend this method before trying the first two methods. because doing a factory reset will delete all wanted and unwanted files from your mobile. All contacts without backup will get vanished. You will lose all apps, games and whatever you stored in your device storage area. So if you find resetting is the only way, please do a backup before proceed.

We hope you get the result by following any of these methods. Our success is completely in your valuable comments. Do you get success in installing the application after following the above procedures? Yes or No whatever happened, please let us know. Also don’t forget to share this to help your friends with the same problem.

#17 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:30 PM

Thanks. I was trying to do that using File Expert, but it had an error deleting some of the folders that were giving me trouble. Root Browser said it deleted them, but the folders are still there. 

I was able to find and delete some of the app's folders, which fixed the install for those apps. But some folders I can't delete at all from the /data/data folder:

com.android.chrome - I was able to download the chrome apk and install it manually

com.fitbit.FitbitMobile

com.google.android.apps.plus

These were the same folders that were giving me "Unable to stat" errors in TWRP.

Should I be concerned? Should I do a Factory Reset, or something else? Any idea on what could have caused this issue in the first place?

#18 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:49 PM

You can always use the file manager built into twrp to delete anything that gives you a problem.

#19 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:50 PM

Twrp by default doesn;t delete the user data which is where the non system apps are stored.

#20 timobkg

timobkg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:59 PM

TWRP can't delete those three folders either. I can rename the folders, but I can't delete them, and there's a file in the cache of each folder that I can't CHMOD or delete.

Should I just rename them and leave them be, or should I do something more drastic to try to get rid of them? Is this an indication of a problem with the internal storage?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users