n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas, USA
  • Current Device(s):Droid Razr Maxx HD, Droid Razr

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:32 PM

Hello,

I have what it was a good phone, until now. Droid Version 4.4.? It is I know.

It is rooted but locked, I believe. I tried to to add a line to the build.prop file. Worked fine, but then I turned it off, and now I have a black brick. Tried to turn it on, no luck, every now and then the  motorola logo shows for a couple of seconds.

Try to connect to my laptop using Motorola Device Manager but I can not even get the Device Manager  to open.

Any ideas?

I have a lot of files in my phone, would like to keep them if at all possible.

If more info about this phone is needed, I have another one that I bought at the same time, so everything should be the same, I would think!

Note: I do have a copy of the original build.prop file, if that help!

Thank you in advance!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#2 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 13 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

Try getting it into fastboot mode. Volume down + power key.  If you can get it to that mode you can use House of Moto to flash the same version or newer version of the firmware.  Root will be gone but hopefully the version you are running is not the .15. If we are lucky it will be the .10 version and we will be able to unlock it.

• 05LEVY likes this

#3 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

Try getting it into fastboot mode. Volume down + power key.  If you can get it to that mode you can use House of Moto to flash the same version or newer version of the firmware.  Root will be gone but hopefully the version you are running is not the .15. If we are lucky it will be the .10 version and we will be able to unlock it.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Tried the volume down + power key, no luck. Only get the Motorola Logo for a couple of seconds, then black again. If I have my phone plugged to my laptop while I do the volume down + power key thing, I get this message on my laptop: Installing device driver software, then a few seconds later, I get this message: Device driver software was not succesfully installed.

I know what exactly the problem is, because I only did one thing, and was to add one line to the build.prop file. If it was a way to replace that file with the original file, then it would be back to normal, or so I think!

Problem I have now, my phone is only communicating with my laptop for a few seconds after I do the volume down + power key thing.

Any way to read the files while the phone is in this state?

Phone Info:

30nb1pu.jpg

Thank you again!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#4 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

In order to fix this you will have to get the phone into the bootloader.  From power off and disconnected try to use the volume up and the power key. Once the menu comes up you only have a couple seconds to use the volume down key to select ap fastboot mode and use the volume up key to select it.  Once in the fast boot mode you will be able to flash the .15 version of the fxz file.  What is going to be the down side is that you are on .15 build now and will be again after the flash however root will be gone.  There are ways to get tethered root which goes away on every boot or a method called hydrogen peroxide that works for some but perma bricks others.  Unlocking went away for the 926 with the upgrade to .15 where they patched the unlock exploit. One thing to note is that with the hydrogen peroxide method if you do achive root any attempt to unlock will result in a bricked phone. Use House of moto 4.3 to flash your phone back to stock.  Take the time to read the instructions carefully and follow them to the letter.  If you read through the posts you will get an idea of the problems and solutions that others have had and the good sucess rate of that utility.

• 05LEVY likes this

#5 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:14 PM

OK,

I was playing with those up/down/power buttons, I once was able to bring that menu up for a second or two. I believe that I may be able to bring that menu up again. Is this the menu I'm looking for:

moto-ap-fastboot-mode.jpg

Since that menu only lasted a second or two, I might not have enough time to think about it, at this time I don't want to wipe the system, so you happen to know how many "clicks" down I need to do before I go up again?

Rooting only took me a couple of minutes so, that is not really a problem.

Thank you!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#6 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:08 AM

Good morning,

I posted a couple of times earlier but for some reasons, my posts doesn't show.

Posting again, hope it was my side and not deleted by mods.

Was able to get into fastmode. Now, I need a link to the correct fxz file, I don't want to install the wrong file and then brick it for good!

The Motorola Device Manager just doesn't work, it downloads but if I try to open it, it just downloads updates then disappears.

I downloaded  RSD Lite, seems like it see my phone, so I just need the correct fxz file.

Again, I have my phone ready to be flashed, please, if anyone knows of a step by step guide using RSD Lite, please provide me with a link.

If I connect my phone to a charger, it will show the charging status.

Thank you again!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#7 livinginkaos

livinginkaos

I don't know what I'm doing anymore.....

• Administrator
  • 15,282 posts
  • Google+:Hangouts - livinginkaos@gmail.com
  • LocationOregon
  • Current Device(s):Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

• 05LEVY likes this

b2wvCBn.png

Sig by livinginkaos
Samsung S8+ / Pixel XL 128gb / iPhone 7+ 256gb / iPad Pro 12.9" / Samsung Chromrbook Plus / Pixel C / Nexus 6p 128gb / Nexus 6 / Nexus 6 on Fi / Nexus 9 / Moto 360^2 / Nvidia Shield TV Pro / Nvidia Shield Tablet / HTC EVODesign on FreedomPop / Chromecast / Surface Pro 3 i7 / Samsung Tab Pro 12.2 / Lenovo Win8 Tab / Eee Slate / '13 Nexus 7

#8 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:42 AM

I would suggest you take the time to setup House Of Moto 4.3 on your computer and use it to flash.  It uses fastboot to flash and gives you the chance to save your user data where rsds interface does not.  Just follow the instructions to the letter

#9 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:06 AM

I would suggest you take the time to setup House Of Moto 4.3 on your computer and use it to flash.  It uses fastboot to flash and gives you the chance to save your user data where rsds interface does not.  Just follow the instructions to the letter

Thank you both.

I'm ready to try. will try House of Moto as recommended.

Will this flash erase all my personal files?

I understand I will not be able to root it after this flash, but still have to ask because that solution was posted a year ago.

I'm not going to be able to root it after this flash? Don't really need root but for one app, I need to record calls both ways but so far I only found one app that will record both sides, and it needs root.

One more question: Should I remove my SD Card before flash? Don't want it to be erased either!   :D 

Thank you for all your help!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#10 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:11 AM

Thank you both.

I'm ready to try. will try House of Moto as recommended.

Will this flash erase all my personal files?

I understand I will not be able to root it after this flash, but still have to ask because that solution was posted a year ago.

I'm not going to be able to root it after this flash? Don't really need root but for one app, I need to record calls both ways but so far I only found one app that will record both sides, and it needs root.

One more question: Should I remove my SD Card before flash? Don't want it to be erased either!   :D 

Thank you for all your help!

Its not usually necessary however you are repaving a phone that has acted strangely.  It never hurts to be on the safe side.

• 05LEVY likes this

#11 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

OK, 

Will try to flash it tonight, think I'm ready.

Let you know how it goes.

Thank you!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#12 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:18 AM

SUCCESS!  

Thank you guys for your help.

I ended up using the RSD Lite program, first tried the House of Moto with no luck.

Again, thank you much for your help.

No data was lost, other than root.

Now, should I try to root it again? 

What can I expect if something goes wrong?

You guys know your business!   :beer

• spainter likes this

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#13 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 15 September 2015 - 11:12 AM

I don't know what method you used to gain root on the .15 version so I don't really know what you could expect.  If you was able to root it before I don't know why you couldn't again.

#14 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:55 PM

I don't know what method you used to gain root on the .15 version so I don't really know what you could expect.  If you was able to root it before I don't know why you couldn't again.

This is the reason I asked:

2nt8hgy.jpg

From this link you posted above: 

The information on that link was posted a year ago, so it may not longer apply. Also, my phone is locked and still was able to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#15 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:23 PM

This is the reason I asked:

2nt8hgy.jpg

From this link you posted above: 

The information on that link was posted a year ago, so it may not longer apply. Also, my phone is locked and still was able to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

The security on a locked phone allows you to flash the same or newer version. That was why you were able to reflash the same version you were on.  It didn't require you to change the secured partition. On an upgrade the security key is present to update the secure partition to allow the upgrade and then the new partition is re locked down with that key to prevent downgrades or changes in the bootloader.

#16 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

Attempted to root, no luck!   :(

This file was uploaded a year ago, so I was hoping to be able to root now, but no, I was not that lucky!

Will keep looking for a way to do it.

Thank you again!

2nktq3n.jpg

05LEVY

#17 05LEVY

05LEVY

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts