Photo

Droid RAZR Maxx horribly slow, need to reinstall?...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 upjeeper

upjeeper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationmadison, wi
  • Current Device(s):razr maxx

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:55 AM

i've got two droid razr maxx's from verizon that are horribly horribly slow (as in they take a minute to load gmail)

i've tried factory resetting with no luck

i figure my best alternative is some sort of reinstall. i'm a little confused when i see methods to do this with safestrap, ap fastboot, etc.

plus it seems since these are older phones a lot of the links to the files are obsolete.

could someone offer a recommendation how to proceed?

thanks!

#2 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:04 AM

i've got two droid razr maxx's from verizon that are horribly horribly slow (as in they take a minute to load gmail)

i've tried factory resetting with no luck

i figure my best alternative is some sort of reinstall. i'm a little confused when i see methods to do this with safestrap, ap fastboot, etc.

plus it seems since these are older phones a lot of the links to the files are obsolete.

could someone offer a recommendation how to proceed?

thanks!

Before you go any farther in to flashing the phones do your self a big favor and go through the settings>about phone pages and write down the information showing in those screens.  It will be of value to you later on and also give you a place to start for finding the correct fxz to flash, if you device is unlockable, rootable etc. 

• rickw likes this

#3 Spott

Spott

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:25 AM

Are these the RAZR Maxx (XT912), or the RAZR HD Maxx (XT926)? If the former, you might have better luck getting useful answers in the correct subforum for your phones, as this is the subforum for the RAZR HD devices.

#4 upjeeper

upjeeper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationmadison, wi

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:27 AM

razr maxx (xt912), it took me a little bit to figure the correct model. thank you

it looks like part of the problem is i'm not able to get the phones setup problem as fastboot asb in my windows 10 machine

#5 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah
  • Current Device(s):Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6, Moto X Pure Edition, 2013 Moto X DE, Droid Razr Maxx HD, 2013 Nexus 7 LTE, LG G Pad X 8.3

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:32 AM

You have posted this in the xt-926 thread.  I will move the topic to the 912 thread for you.

#6 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

Windows 10 usb driver problems can be fun. Make sure you have the proper drivers 32 bit or 64 bit depending on which windows 10 install you have. If windows 10 doesn't see the phone make sure debugging is turned on in the phone, if the phone shows up as a unknown device you will have to point windows 10 to the correct drivers manually.

#7 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:50 AM

Also you must use a usb 2.0 port directly from the computer not a hub. Factory data cable not a 3rd party cable can also make a difference.  We know since it is a 912 that you are not unlocked.  So you can only flash the same or newer version of what is on your phone when that time comes.  Trying to flash anything as far as factory firmware goes from the sd card via stock recovery is a good way to perma brick your device. That is why I suggested making a list of the settings, about phone pages.  It gives us the exact build of firmware you have on the phone, as well as baseband version etc.

#8 upjeeper

upjeeper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationmadison, wi

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:06 AM

Also you must use a usb 2.0 port directly from the computer not a hub. Factory data cable not a 3rd party cable can also make a difference.  We know since it is a 912 that you are not unlocked.  So you can only flash the same or newer version of what is on your phone when that time comes.  Trying to flash anything as far as factory firmware goes from the sd card via stock recovery is a good way to perma brick your device. That is why I suggested making a list of the settings, about phone pages.  It gives us the exact build of firmware you have on the phone, as well as baseband version etc.

thank you for the advice

i am using a branded motorola cable, and have been using a USB 2.0 port connected directly to my motherboard but i moved to a port on the back to eliminate one potential failure mode.

would screenshots of the settings info posted here help?

both phones have the same details

- system version 98.72.165.xt912.verizon.en.us
- android 4.1.2
- build number 9.8.20-72_VZW-16-5
- build date thu nov 21 14:10:17 CST 2013

#9 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:33 AM

Here is where you can download the factory image you have.

Please Login or Register to see this Hidden Content

The usb drivers from here. Scroll down and find the xt 912.

#10 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:39 AM

Once you get the drivers installed and working in windows 10 take the time to setup House of Moto 4.3.  Follow the instructions exactly including installing java.  This will help you get the flash completed properly and you won't have any problems flashing both phones from the same setup since they are the same exact phone with same software.

#11 upjeeper

upjeeper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationmadison, wi

Posted 23 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

Here is where you can download the factory image you have.

The usb drivers from here. Scroll down and find the xt 912.

you sir, are awesome

thank you

i switched computers and the ABD now functions properly

• spainter likes this

#12 upjeeper

upjeeper

n00b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationmadison, wi

Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

so i've run RSD lite on both phones

per RSD lite the process completed successfully. is there a way from looking at the phone i'd notice if it worked (aside from running faster)? it appears the build information (Version and date info) is all the same as before I did anything

thanks again

#13 spainter

spainter

Droid Oracle

• 3,339 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:07 PM

so i've run RSD lite on both phones

per RSD lite the process completed successfully. is there a way from looking at the phone i'd notice if it worked (aside from running faster)? it appears the build information (Version and date info) is all the same as before I did anything

thanks again

It was the exact same version that was on the phone before.  It is just a clean fresh install of the OS like it came from the factory with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users